Insurance

theonetrueaussie

Anyone have any experience with a good insurance that pays out. I am only looking for something that will cover me if I have an accident or need to be rushed to hospital . I am under 40 and no medical problems and looking for something under 20k thb a year if anyone has any good recommendations. Again I don't need dental or anything else just accident/emergency cover.

If you just want personal accident insurance I use Axa, 250k per accident for 6,900 baht, there is also a 500k 14,000 baht option. They have an office in Sukhumvit Pattaya, or try a broker such as AA Insurance.

The good thing about accident insurance is no deductable and they won't run around the office trying to block the claim due to pre-existing conditions

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

As above, go to one of the brokers, tell them what you want and they will give you pricing etc for 3-4 different companies.

Its difficult to say company X will pay out etc as it will come down to circumstances of the claim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are looking at paying around 20K a year and at your age it may be worth looking at Health insurance that covers not only accidents, and also many offer the Covid insurance required by immagration as part of the parcel. just a thought and no lost in checking it out. 

AA insurance brokers are good

https://www.aainsure.net/

• Like 1

I have US insurance so have not personally checked but from reading over the years would make sure to insure with an international firm subject to consumer rules.  Believe there is a choice at reasonable price that will cover in most of world (other than USA) which would be good as you may indeed travel or change your location at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

If you are looking at paying around 20K a year and at your age it may be worth looking at Health insurance that covers not only accidents, and also many offer the Covid insurance required by immagration as part of the parcel. just a thought and no lost in checking it out. 

AA insurance brokers are good

https://www.aainsure.net/

Agree with above, contact AA.

At age 40 you have many, many options.

You will probably not find a policy limited to "accidents and emergencies" but yo ucan easily get one limited inpatient care (care if admitted to a hospital). It will however cost more like 30k baht a year, not 20. And premiums will rise as you age. You can reduce premiums by taking a deductible ("excess").

If you also want outpatient cover for accidents you would best supplement your main policy with accident insurance as including outpatient cover with a general health policy will greatly increase premiums.

CHUBB PA Insurance. Best / Cheapest Thai / International Cover.

Child or Age 40 (my Lady & Son)  7,500 baht each yearly. Age 65 (Myself) 15,000 baht yearly. 300,000 baht cover per Accident. Accepted by All Thai Hospitals for Direct Insurer Payment. No Deductible. Just Present your Chubb Carry Card at Hospital Reception & Sign Bill. Have Done It !

If Minor Accident use Private Hospital for greater Comfort / Service / English. If Major Accident use Best Public Hospital  (Vachira Phuket for example) to consume cover limit at govt. tariff rates ( around one third private hospital rates). 

Recommend Mr. Eric Dohlon, my expert Swedish / Thai Insurance Broker.

Website insurance- in - thailand. mobile 089 649 3012.

Supplemental LMG Low Cost Health Insurance ( Thailand Only). 

7,700 baht yearly at age 65. 440k baht cover per incident. 

200k baht Deductible. 15k baht yearly with 100k Deductible (age 65).

8 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Child or Age 40 (my Lady & Son)  7,500 baht each yearly. Age 65 (Myself) 15,000 baht yearly. 300,000 baht cover per Accident. Accepted by All Thai Hospitals for Direct Insurer Payment. No Deductible. Just Present your Chubb Carry Card at Hospital Reception & Sign Bill. Have Done It !

If Minor Accident use Private Hospital for greater Comfort / Service / English. If Major Accident use Best Public Hospital  (Vachira Phuket for example) to consume cover limit at govt. tariff rates ( around one third private hospital rates). 

Supplemental LMG Low Cost Health Insurance ( Thailand Only). 

7,700 baht yearly at age 65. 440k baht cover per incident. 

200k baht Deductible. 15k baht yearly with 100k Deductible (age 65).

He is asking about insurance that covers all urgent care not just accidents.

440K cover per hospitalization is way, way too low....let alone with 200k deductible which means you have only 240k coverage. It meets O-A vo=isa requiremens but is otherwise worthless.

• Like 1

CORRECTION ( Following Sheryl Reply to My Original Post)

—————————————————————————————————-

Supplemental LMG Low Cost Health Insurance (Thailand Only). 

EXAMPLE 7,700 baht yearly at age 65. 640k baht cover per incident. 

Less 200k baht Deductible. 15k baht yearly with 100k Deductible (age 65).

DOUBLE Cover at Half those Premiums. for Age 40 ( approx.)

Must Contact Broker for Your Specific Case.

I'm also about your age and found the in my opinion best offer at APRIL international. Just contact them for a quote.

The policy comes from LMG which is a big Thai insurer. I didn't have any claim with my health insurance yet, but I also have first class motorcycle insurance from LMG, had a claim there once, no complaints from me.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

I'm also about your age and found the in my opinion best offer at APRIL international. Just contact them for a quote.

The policy comes from LMG which is a big Thai insurer. I didn't have any claim with my health insurance yet, but I also have first class motorcycle insurance from LMG, had a claim there once, no complaints from me.

It is also possible to get a policy direct from April in France and thereby come under EU Insurance regulations which are much more stringent than those of Thailand. This is what I have.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:01 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its difficult to say company X will pay out etc as it will come down to circumstances of the claim. 

All insurers pay out on legitimate claims.   If a person's circumstances aren't covered, and the policy document will list cover and all exemptions, don't claim.

44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All insurers pay out on legitimate claims.

In a decade or so?  Many will do whatever they can to make it as hard as possible to obtain payments legitimate claim or not - they will see black as white and try to make legit not legit given the chance, and to read any word to their advantage.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All insurers pay out on legitimate claims.

Many will do whatever they can to make it as hard as possible to obtain payments legitimate claim or not

Got something to back up that assertion other than urban myth or hearsay?

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

i have a couple recent examples, a friend had a detached retina, insurer paid for it, operation caused a cataract which they refused to pay for.

A friend, Insurer cancelled insurance when they claim something was pre-existing, want money back for prior unrelated claims

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You know as well as anyone we can not name and shame on forum.  But I do have experience and sister spent 30 years trying to get insurance to pay for medical office and private business of claims filing for those unable to do themselves.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

i have a couple recent examples, a friend had a detached retina, insurer paid for it, operation caused a cataract which they refused to pay for.

A friend, Insurer cancelled insurance when they claim something was pre-existing, want money back for prior unrelated claims

"i have a couple recent examples",

Actually, you haven't, those are anecdotal or hearsay, but, anyway...   

"a friend had a detached retina, insurer paid for it, operation caused a cataract which they refused to pay for".

So they paid out for a claim that was covered.   Perhaps the cataract wasn't caused by the surgery or the policy didn't cover his claim for the cataract?

"A friend, Insurer cancelled insurance when they claim something was pre-existing"

It's perfectly normal not to be covered for pre-existing conditions!

18 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You know as well as anyone we can not name and shame on forum. 

And you know as well as anyone that there's nothing to stop posters recounting their experience here because that happens all the time on 'Thaivisa' threads!   The allegations of specific courier companies' corruption here recently are a prime example.

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"i have a couple recent examples",

Actually, you haven't, those are anecdotal or hearsay, but, anyway...   

"a friend had a detached retina, insurer paid for it, operation caused a cataract which they refused to pay for".

So they paid out for a claim that was covered.   Perhaps the cataract wasn't caused by the surgery or the policy didn't cover his claim for the cataract?

"A friend, Insurer cancelled insurance when they claim something was pre-existing"

It's perfectly normal not to be covered for pre-existing conditions!

they are actual examples, the operation caused the cataract. Don't be gullible and think insurers love paying out claims, they will run round the office trying to find a way to deny

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For legitimate claims, that's just nonsense.

what experience do you have with Thai health insurance company claims?

None, personally, but I do have many years experience in the insurance industry and I know the percentages of claims that are paid out.   I also know that if insurers tried to avoid paying legitimate claims, as so many people like to suggest, there wouldn't be an insurance industry. 

What personal experience do you have?     Your "friends' " stories are not your personal experiences. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

None, personally, but I do have many years experience in the insurance industry and I know the percentages of claims that are paid out.   I also know that if insurers tried to avoid paying legitimate claims, as so many people like to suggest, there wouldn't be an insurance industry. 

What personal experience do you have?     Your "friends' " stories are not your personal experiences. 

Insurance regulations in Thailand are not the same as farangland, just complete a questionaire and read the T&Cs and you can see it

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This can happen when there is material non-disclosure at the time the insurance proposal was completed and submitted to the insurer. If the medical condition that wasn't disclosed was such that the insurer would have declined to insure the proposer under the company's underwriting guidelines, the insurer would be entitled to void the insurance policy ab initio and claw back any claims that had been paid regardless of whether they were related to the non-disclosed condition.

In practice, this remedy is usually only pursued by insurance companies in cases where the non-disclosure was believed to have been intentional. If it is any consolation, the insurer would be required to refund the premium if this happens. This isn't peculiar to Thailand, it is well established in law and practice in developed countries as well.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

Thanks everyone for their help I have contacted aainsurers as well as April international. I also saw safetywing offers 250k USD cover, anyone used them at all?

Safetywing is travel medical insurance. This covers emergency care only and the insurer has the option of assisting you back to your own country to get care there, at their discretion, rather than paying for care in-country.

It is a viable option for someone here temporarily (or here just certain months of the year) who still has  access to health care in their home country and is prepared to go back there for all non-emergency care  as well as in an emergency if stable enough to be repatriated.

Quite different from expat insurance.

10 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

This can happen when there is material non-disclosure at the time the insurance proposal was completed and submitted to the insurer. If the medical condition that wasn't disclosed was such that the insurer would have declined to insure the proposer under the company's underwriting guidelines, the insurer would be entitled to void the insurance policy ab initio and claw back any claims that had been paid regardless of whether they were related to the non-disclosed condition.

In practice, this remedy is usually only pursued by insurance companies in cases where the non-disclosure was believed to have been intentional. If it is any consolation, the insurer would be required to refund the premium if this happens. This isn't peculiar to Thailand, it is well established in law and practice in developed countries as well.  

Yes it's a good get out if the insurer doesn't want to pay out and as a bonus can get prior claims refunded, or try to. The one I know about is not as clear cut as you suggest

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Insurance regulations in Thailand are not the same as farangland, just complete a questionaire and read the T&Cs and you can see it

You're assuming, wrongly, that my insurance experience is restricted to other countries and does not include Thailand.    

"Insurance regulations in Thailand are not the same as farangland"

Are you saying that there are Thai insurance regulations that allow insurers to deny legitimate claims? 

"T&Cs" on a "questionnaire" are not the sole consideration; policy conditions detailing specific cover and exclusions on issued policies are what matters.

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

None, personally, but I do have many years experience in the insurance industry

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're assuming, wrongly, that my insurance experience is restricted to other countries and does not include Thailand.    

Weird, the first quote is you saying you have no experience of thai health insurance claims, second you decide you now have experience. Come on get your story straight and try again

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Weird, the first quote is you saying you have no experience of thai health insurance claims, second you decide you now have experience. Come on get your story straight and try again

Get your story right about what I actually said and try again.

I have no personal experience of health insurance claims, i.e. claims of my own, that's what I said.   According to your posts here, it seems that you have no personal claims experience, just a couple of "friends'" "stories".

I do have many years of experience in the insurance industry, here and in the UK, including general claims and life claims so I do know, forensically, how those claims are processed and what the stats on successful claims are.  That's also what I said.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou