why do they like to sit on floor

opalred

because they are like an old guy set in his ways,  never to change.  My dad had newspaper cuts/squares on wire in the toilet, brylcream on every shelve,  a meat safe hanging on the back porch which he used up until his heart death. Water bottle in the fridge was a 60's milk bottle. 

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

We have a family breakfast at the dining room table in the morning..... After that it's pretty much an open style for the rest of the day.....

However, if they have something to watch on TV, they park right there on the floor in front of the TV; eat, and watch their soap opera.....

The wife is a uni grad that had 17 years management - working for an international company (Nissan)....#1 daughter is 2nd year university & other daughter in high school.....

The kicker here is the in-laws are farm/ranch folks.....No degrees or advanced employment or education.... Salt of the earth....

They have a big table with chairs in their kitchen that they use for meals.....

My guess is they are taught to squat at schools, at temples, gatherings from a young age....I remember visiting a school in rural Ang Thong and their meeting/lunch room was nothing but a big empty room, the kids sat/ate/visited on the floor...

Undoubtedly, many did at home also....

It's become ingrained into their existence & very natural for them....

Just as sitting in chairs, couches, lazy boys, bar stools has been ingrained in us (as we evolved from trees also as mentioned by a previous poster).....

In short - it's an ingrained trait....

I can't see one any worse than the other.... It's not my nature to look down on, or pick at others....

Right now my oldest daughter is sitting at our kitchen table eating.....

Edited by pgrahmm

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

No idea, but mine is the same.

And mine.

My one is different! She sits on a chair on the table together with me.

But for our new apartment she requested an area of free flor. Just in case the family visits and they all want to sit on the floor. I think I have to think hard if it is a smart idea to follow her request.

In our new house, designed by my wife, we have two sitting rooms with large L shaped sofas and coffee tables in front, plus a dedicated dining room with a dining table and chairs ...... and yet we eat sitting on the floor ????

At least we have lots of floor cushions, and the coffee tables are the right height for low-flying dining.

After seeing the original post, I asked her why, and she said it feels more relaxed on the floor, and everyone is the same height when on the floor.

Also - a typical Thai meal plus beers is way too big for a normal sized dining table ...... all those dishes!

• Like 1

Like many thing, it comes down to culture. Many us ask "why?" I'm sure the average response would be, "why not?"

Wife's response: in an average Thai household, table and chairs are for elderly. Younger people usually sit on the floor. btw: there's we never run out of seat if we sit on the floor:) we eat on the floor, we sleep on the floor, we prepare food to cook on the floor. Siting on floor become habits for us Thais, so yes it's part of our culture.

Edited by HappyGoLuckyLife
Wife's response
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems in restaurants they sit just like we do.

Or maybe I didn't visit any real Thai restaurants with floor only until now. TiT

Yes they sometimes sit, on teeny tiny chairs with no backs. There are definitely also restaurants where they sit on the floor but those are more "trendy" Thai style places.

6 minutes ago, jvs said:

Usually  also cooler on the floor.

Works great for sleeping as well.

And a fantastic way to induce heamoroids for those unlucky enough not to have them yet!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On the once every couple of months I visit the family farm they throw on a BBQ for the 10-20 family members present. If it's raining we sit inside the house we built for MIL, nice and cool on the tiles and I have a low plastic chair to sit on.

If it's fine we all sit outside on mats on the ground, the concrete BBQs nearby, the plastic chair for me, and a small concrete table & plastic chairs for MIL & PIL (5 & 3 years older than me). And the farm dogs join us for the meal.

All works nicely. Very relaxed. Perfect for life in the tropics.

When the family members arrive to mow our lawns (currently once a fortnight) they sit outside on the verandahs as we feed & water them through the day.

• Like 1

I am British. I have always preferred to sit  on the floor when relaxing, watching TV, etc since I was a kid. 

Of course, formal or more family style meals I sat on a chair at the table. 

Now I am 45 and still prefer to sit on the floor.  It's more comfortable and natural for me than sitting on a chair or sofa for a length of time.  

I did this many many years before I even came to Thailand. 

I don't get why some people think it's an issue to sit on the floor at home. 

• Like 2

The threads on cracking the Thai "Code" continues, as the mysteries are only known by Buddha himself, and he aint giving up the details.. ????

Stay tuned for next weeks topic of thai bargirls and the infamous tattoo above the right boob!   We will dig deeper into this mystery and propose theories!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In our new house, designed by my wife, we have two sitting rooms with large L shaped sofas and coffee tables in front, plus a dedicated dining room with a dining table and chairs ...... and yet we eat sitting on the floor ????

At least we have lots of floor cushions, and the coffee tables are the right height for low-flying dining.

After seeing the original post, I asked her why, and she said it feels more relaxed on the floor, and everyone is the same height when on the floor.

Also - a typical Thai meal plus beers is way too big for a normal sized dining table ...... all those dishes!

everyone is the same height when on the floor. That makes the most sense to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

everyone is the same height when on the floor. That makes the most sense to me.

C'mon now.  The distance from the top of the head to the butt is the same whether sitting on a chair or on the floor.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

C'mon now.  The distance from the top of the head to the butt is the same whether sitting on a chair or on the floor.

Yes but most of the difference in people's height comes from short vs long LEGS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2