why do they like to sit on floor

opalred

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes but most of the difference in people's height comes from short vs long LEGS.

Yes, plus the big differences in height created by different heights of chairs.  A typical Western whole family gathering has some people on the sofa, some on dining chairs, some in armchairs, some on bean-bags, some on kitchen stools.  This would need complex orchestration for a Thai family gathering.  But all sitting on the floor is simple.

7 hours ago, MrBrad said:

C'mon now.  The distance from the top of the head to the butt is the same whether sitting on a chair or on the floor.

I realize that, but there seems to me, to be a communal spirit in everyone being on the floor. It isn't, as you say, the literal height.

3 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I realize that, but there seems to me, to be a communal spirit in everyone being on the floor. It isn't, as you say, the literal height.

Sorry, I unknowingly used the "communal" reference that bbko had already used, my bad.

On 10/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, opalred said:

i have a house i built/with every thing in it /tables and chairs / yet for past 12 yrs living with wife she will eat on the floor /and every one comes around sit and eat around the food on the floor\my wife is not from the mountain villages and highly educated //why cheers

I'm just spitballing here, but you ever considered asking your wife?  You can get back to us with her thoughts. 

• Like 1

Somewhere around the outside of the house, most homes have those round cement tables & rounded benches....

Usually, for visitors, they sit outside at those tables....

They tend not to entertain indoors very much....

The answer to the OP's question is obvious: because they have done it all their lives just as their ancestors have done it in this part of the world since time out of mind. 

As kids growing up in a semi-rural area we played on the floor a lot. Even when older... board games and such.

The floor, if it is made to be inviting with oriental rugs or even a bamboo mat is a good place to do many things.

Why more people in the West don't use it more often is probably due to the Faranglander's barbaric habit of wearing their shoes inside the house.

Edited by DeaconJohn

On 10/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems in restaurants they sit just like we do.

Or maybe I didn't visit any real Thai restaurants with floor only until now. TiT

I’ve only sat on the floor at “picnic style” restaurants, e.g. bamboo huts near a river or lake.

But in Japan it is not unusual to sit on the floor at a restaurant.

As someone who has frequently sat on the floor (with Thai people), it really does feel more natural. There is both the communal feel, but also the flexibility, you can be 3 people or 10 people, no need to move around furniture, and if you are 10 people, there is still room for one more.

Many meals are also eaten away from home, e.g. construction workers, or after ceremony in the temple — the logistics involved in having foldable tables and chairs in these situations would be absurd.

As for the communal feel, also note that at Thai restaurants, you order food together and share it, nobody sits with just their own plate — I think that is somewhat connected to their concept of eating and sitting on the floor, i.e. most meals for them is more of a picnic, and food is just an excuse to socialize (even though they really like food).

Edit: To elaborate on the “always room for one more”, this also makes it less formal to invite people to join you. E.g. if me and my girlfriend is eating on the floor, we can ask the cleaner if she wants to join us, and she can just sit down, maybe eat something, maybe not, maybe just talk, and she can easily leave without it being awkward. Imagine if we are sitting at a table, and we ask her to join us, of course it could work, but it’s an entirely different dynamic.

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1

• For centuries they sat/sit on the floor in school.....

• For centuries they've sat on the floor worshipping at the Wat....

• For centuries they have eaten Mookata on the floor where their BBQ/grill is central & maybe about 30-35cm high.....

• Many sleep/nap/watch TV on the floor since infancy - again, going back many, many years.....

• Furniture, like dining room tables, is fairly recent to Thai culture.....Almost every flat surface in a house is used as practical, easy storage....

To many Thais, the concept of furniture/shelves/formal dining/ display/ornamentation/keep sakes is a completely alien idea....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we all did it 1000yrs ago/i remember  in new Guinea in the sixty's/gave a chair to  village people /the headman took it / sitting on it smiling  the people of the village squatting o the ground staring at him/most had no clothes on / am glad i became civilized i sit on a chair and wear cloths/ because at my age not a good sight without cloths

On 10/5/2021 at 7:37 PM, DeaconJohn said:

The answer to the OP's question is obvious: because they have done it all their lives just as their ancestors have done it in this part of the world since time out of mind. 

As kids growing up in a semi-rural area we played on the floor a lot. Even when older... board games and such.

The floor, if it is made to be inviting with oriental rugs or even a bamboo mat is a good place to do many things.

Why more people in the West don't use it more often is probably due to the Faranglander's barbaric habit of wearing their shoes inside the house.

Errrr; in Europe the bloody floor is too cold to sit on for a large part of the year !

16 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Its  simple, you cant get any  lower and the next stage is  sleep

My late father-in-law used to sleep on the tiled or parquet floor using the crook of his arm as a pillow. I bought him a single bed but never used it.

Tough old b*gger he was.

And what's with a lot of Thai men having the back of their heads flat. Are they formed like that from sleeping on hard floors since birth. Mostly see it in cops or military personnel.

Edited by bobandyson

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

...farangs in Thailand look like total buffoons.  And yes, there is a Thai word for "chair." 

Yes, same as there is a Thai word for computer or microwave:

Thai word for computer is computer.

Thai word for microwave is microwave.

Thai word for chair is kaoi (Chinese for chair).

And, yes, you are right: some farangs in Thailand look like total buffoons.

Edited by Espanol

16 hours ago, Espanol said:

Yes, same as there is a Thai word for computer or microwave:

Thai word for computer is computer.

Thai word for microwave is microwave.

Thai word for chair is kaoi (Chinese for chair).

And, yes, you are right: some farangs in Thailand look like total buffoons.

Everywhere I go in Thailand, I see Thais sitting in chairs.  Whether it's the bank, offices, airplanes, restaurants, bars, their homes.....I see Thais sitting in chairs.  So when you say "Chairs are not in Thai culture," you're flatout wrong.

The Thai word for chair is "gow-ee."  So when you say "They don't even have a word for "chair" In Thai," you're wrong again.  It doesn't matter what the origin of the word is, there's obviously a Thai word for chair.

Just admit that you're wrong on all counts and we can move on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:16 PM, recom273 said:

I buy 2 sofas and I paint the walls white. Yet, when work friends of the wife visit (usually their husbands) visit, they  sit on the floor in front of the door, blocking access, leaning against the wall. 

When I ask them to sit down they do this stupid head bob and give a stupid grin. 

Obscene filth around the light switches are a sight i have witnessed often in Thai houses .

Better they squat than stand upright and keep the walls clean at least

At our house, stools are used in the kitchen, the chairs are used at the dining room table, and chairs are used in the patio.....

About the only time they eat on the floor is when watching something on TV together; or during the few times we make a mukata outside....If inside with the electric mukata we use chairs....