Question regarding Wise transfer of THB to set up Thai bank account for Marriage Visa

Currently have a USD account and THB account set up in Wise. We send money home to family monthly.

For my Visa (Non-Immigrant O due to marriage to Thai National) I need to maintain 400K baht in an account. (Not a problem and figure less paperwork in the end.)

I would like to take advantage of the strength of the USD when the market dictates. As such, I would have 400K THB sitting in my Wise account before we move.

When I open my Thai bank account, will the transfer of the 400K THB fulfill the Visa requirement as opposed to moving 13K USD?

My reasoning is simple math. With a favorable exchange rate, I can exchange 10K USD to hit 400K THB with a favorable exchange rate forecast, which puts 3K USD back in the savings/investing accounts.

And yes, I've always been the type looking to maximize savings. Comes from having to shop at the Dollar store when we were first starting out. 

Edited by HappyGoLuckyLife
Spelling.

1 hour ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

When I open my Thai bank account, will the transfer of the 400K THB fulfill the Visa requirement as opposed to moving 13K USD?

Not sure what your on about.

If you are a Westerner married legally and have a Thai wife you can apply at the immigration office at your place of stay for a 1 year extension to stay based on marriage. 

At the time of applying for the 1 year extension based on marriage the amount of money 400,000 needs to be in a Thai bank account in the husbands name only for a minimum period of 2 months.

Alternatively your can show you have 40,000 a month or more each month for 12 months of the previous year up to applying for the 1 year extension based on marriage being paid into the husbands own Thai bank account. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what your on about.

Does it matter if the transfer is 400K THB or it's equivalent in USD? 

Let's say in my Wise account I have both. To satisfy the Visa requirement, would it mattered if I transferred the baht over the USD?

My thinking is baht is baht. It doesn't fluctuate in Thailand. However, USD does based on the Thai economy. 

6 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Does it matter if the transfer is 400K THB or it's equivalent in USD? 

Let's say in my Wise account I have both. To satisfy the Visa requirement, would it mattered if I transferred the baht over the USD?

My thinking is baht is baht. It doesn't fluctuate in Thailand. However, USD does based on the Thai economy. 

I don't know if you can use 'Wise' for applying for a marriage extension. 

What I have always done is had a Bangkok bank account in my name only and the 400,000 has to be shown to have been in there for no less than 2 months before applying to immigration for a further 1 year extension.

I have to have a letter from the Bank confirming the amount dated at least the day before we go. 

Also I have to have the bank book updated on the day we apply at immigration. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't know if you can use 'Wise' for applying for a marriage extension. 

Oh, I don't want to use Wise as the bank account for the Visa. I want to send the 400K baht I would have sitting in Wise to a Thai bank account when I open it. I saw where my question was confusing. My apologies.

Edited by HappyGoLuckyLife

16 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Oh, I don't want to use Wise as the bank account for the Visa. I want to send the 400K baht I would have sitting in Wise to a Thai bank account when I open it. I saw where my question was confusing. My apologies.

My advice is when you have an address of stay go that immigration province office and get the list of requirements needed when applying for a marriage visa. 

There is some 15 items of paperwork required plus many photocopies of documents and pictures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There is some 15 items of paperwork required plus many photocopies of documents and pictures. 

I know, the amount of paperwork is insane. LOL. And immigration might interview my neighbors? Guess who's throwing a bbq as soon as they move in. Beer and beef salad for all!

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Like many long term married couples here would agree with me on is that Thai immigration is a good test for anger management.

Very much agree with you. One thing mama always taught me is to the respectful guest wherever I go. And being that I presently work where people can't so much as turn on a computer, I've learn to smile through the most almost anything. Besides, it's a lot of work jumping through these hoops. I'm not going to do anything to make it harder. 

39 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

This what I have done and will continue to do. I use the services of an agent costs 13,000. He deals with immigration and I just sign, he hands me my extension. IMO leaving B$ 800000 parked and shrinking in Bangkok Bank basically for the duration of my stay here is foolish. Look at just five years living here with money in my investment acct and paying an agent. In 5 years my 24K is now 38K, 14K upside minus agent fees 1.5K. I'm better by US$ 12,500 or $2500/ year. If I parked that 800K the best I could hope for is a $ 700 upside, worst case you lose $ 3200 in Baht depreciation. Happy. you're counting pennies while losing thousands. Before all you Henny Penny's start in " The skys falling if you use an agent'', save it for people with severe anxiety issues.

Or you could just use the overseas transfer every month for a year via Wise and avoid parking any substantial money in the Thai banks and avoid paying agent fees.

I'm doing the marriage visa route with 400k THB parked in a Thai bank this year, but I've already started the monthly international transfers, so next year I can pull that 400k THB out of the Thai bank and put it to good use.

• Like 1

Just now, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I assume you're already in Thailand on another type of Visa?

I've been married to my Thai wife for about 15 years and lived here from 2007-2020, I went back to the US to visit family and get a thorough medical check up then became stuck there due to the Coivid lockdown. In March of this year, I applied for my "marriage visa" and met all the requirements with the Thai Embassy in LA and they issued me a visa.  I assumed the visa would be good for a year and I would only need to do the 90 day reporting once I arrived in Thailand, WRONG, when I showed up in Pattaya's immigration for what I thought was a 90 day report, it turned out the visa only got me in country and I had to reapply for another visa based on marriage.  Most of my money was in the US so I didn't meet the 400k Thai bank requirement, so I got a 60 day covid extension (currently on my 2nd) and transferred 400k THB money from the US to my Thai bank. Now I have to wait for it to season for 2 months then reapply for the visa based on marriage. The 400k is sitting in my Thai bank but I've already started doing the monthly transfer so after 12 months I can pull the 400k.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Or you could just use the overseas transfer every month for a year via Wise and avoid parking any substantial money in the Thai banks and avoid paying agent fees.

I'm doing the marriage visa route with 400k THB parked in a Thai bank this year, but I've already started the monthly international transfers, so next year I can pull that 400k THB out of the Thai bank and put it to good use.

That would work for sure but I am adverse to dealing with immigration offices for 25 years. Here is the worst followed closely by Costa Rica. Brazil was super cool and welcoming granting me a permanent residency ''stable union'' with my gf before my nasty divorce finalized. Anyway I'm lazy, 13000 is worth it to me to not step in the building ie; covid.  The other deal was my Itau account carried a heavy penalty to withdrawal monthly and entailed a second transfer to my Brazil checking. For me I became friends with my agent, looked forward to seeing him and sharing a JWB. I like not worrying about an issue I used to. You did the same just differently.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:38 AM, jazzdog32095 said:

That would work for sure but I am adverse to dealing with immigration offices for 25 years. Here is the worst followed closely by Costa Rica. Brazil was super cool and welcoming granting me a permanent residency ''stable union'' with my gf before my nasty divorce finalized. Anyway I'm lazy, 13000 is worth it to me to not step in the building ie; covid.  The other deal was my Itau account carried a heavy penalty to withdrawal monthly and entailed a second transfer to my Brazil checking. For me I became friends with my agent, looked forward to seeing him and sharing a JWB. I like not worrying about an issue I used to. You did the same just differently.

hey bro, are you in Patts by any chance? if so are you willing to share your agent's contact details via DM? 'my friend' is interested in this option ????

On 10/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, jazzdog32095 said:

This what I have done and will continue to do. I use the services of an agent costs 13,000. He deals with immigration and I just sign, he hands me my extension. IMO leaving B$ 800000 parked and shrinking in Bangkok Bank basically for the duration of my stay here is foolish. 

and payung 13000 a year, every year is not foolish? 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:10 AM, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

It does not matter how the money got in your account when using the 400k in the bank method, as long as you have 400K in the bank for a period of two months prior to making your application. , 

I used Wise  to transfer the funds for my extension based on marriage, Not a problem. 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

I know, the amount of paperwork is insane. LOL. And immigration might interview my neighbors? Guess who's throwing a bbq as soon as they move in. Beer and beef salad for all!

We did it ourselves, no agent nessacery , and it was easy.

The Immigration office will tell you what you need. It took us less than an hour to fill the nessacery forms, it actually took more time getting the certified bank statement from the bank, but that was because there were a lot of people there at the time and we had to wait. 

You need  two set of picture of you and your wife in front of your home. EASY, use your phone with the timer, You need to have one set printed at on picture paper, any photo shop will print it from your phone very cheap, the other set can be printed on plain paper at your home printer. 

Don't worry if you did everything right ,the people at the Immigration office are very helpful, When you go there at the desk where you get a number to wait, the girl will review all your documents, if there is something missing or not right she will tell you. We were given the wrong document from the bank, and we had to go back and get the right one. Not a problem.

After you have everything and it is reviewed by the front desk where you get your number,you will be given a number and after a short wait you will see an immigration officer where you will sign a bunch of documents, Again EASY!! in less than an hour we were done and  we had a Under consideration stamp.

An appointment will be made for immigration to come to your house a couple of days later, It was a very friendly and pleasant visit, while they visit you will need two witnesses, We had a couple of our neighbors come over and sign. Then about a month later you will get your one year extension stamp, But don't worry about the one month wait, because you already have the "Under consideration" stamp.

It sounds like a lot because of my long explanation, which I did so you would know what to expect and not be stressed.  But it was very easy

After  you get your final extension stamp you can withdraw the 400k from the bank. I don't,,, You are living in a foreign country, it is good to have some money , immediately available in case of emergency. 

Once you do your first extension , next year you can try doing the income methode if you like, just make an at least 40k transfer every month. You can use Wise for the transfer, but when you do, you need to check the box on the Wise app that says "for long stay" that way it shows as an international transfer at your bank account deposit.  

I found that Kasikorn bank was the easiest bank to open an account as a foreigner. 

Good luck, and welcome to Thailand. 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

It sounds like a lot because of my long explanation, which I did so you would know what to expect and not be stressed.  But it was very easy

Wow, talk about breaking it down where even I fully understood this! And that my friend is a high compliment. Thanks for this detailed response. I copied it in our OneNote where we keep our notes for the move abroad.

2 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Wow, talk about breaking it down where even I fully understood this! And that my friend is a high compliment. Thanks for this detailed response. I copied it in our OneNote where we keep our notes for the move abroad.

Glad I was able to help.

Is your marriage registered in Thailand? 

if it is not you will need to register it here. to do the extension. I f it's not you would need your marriage  certificate translated and notarized. Try to get it done at your country before you leave . Ask the Thai embassy in your area about it. 

Back in May when we came here ,we had to leave the US in two days because they had changed the quarantine requirement from seven days to 14  for those arriving May 6th or after, as it is we got in by May 4th and beat the deadline, but in the process we did not have time to have our marriage   certificate translated and certified  and it was a hustle to do it here especially with everything being closed due to covid.  So I can't tell you how to do it where you are.Ask your local Thai embassy.

Also we had to have out passport and visa certified by the US embassy  in Bangkok, which is 5 hour drive from where we are, so you might want to do that where you are also.

Covid conditions are improving every day, and restrictions are lowered .Rainy season should be ending soon also , so you are coming at a good time.

if you are not here already, Have a good trip!!

Edited by sirineou

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Is your marriage registered in Thailand? 

No. If I can get it done here in the US, that would be great. We're heading up to the Thai Consulate in NY at the end of this month for my wife's Thai passport, so I will see what information I can get while there. I would be great if we could. I will post an update when we find out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

No. If I can get it done here in the US, that would be great. We're heading up to the Thai Consulate in NY at the end of this month for my wife's Thai passport, so I will see what information I can get while there. I would be great if we could. I will post an update when we find out.

Be aware that not all immigration offices work in the same way as explained by the previous poster it will depend where your address of stay will be when you come to Thailand, so report to the local immigration of your arrival in there province.

So don't be surprised if somethings you are told here will be exactly what will happen when you apply but no worries.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So don't be surprised if somethings you are told here will be exactly what will happen when you apply but no worries.

The good news is I don't stress or worry about much. If I've already adopted one thing is the sabai sabai mentality when it comes to not getting worked up when curves come.

My short answer to the marriage visa versus retirement  

I did 1 marriage visa extension, and I hated how they told you to wait for a call before they came round, and then randomly called you in 7-10 days saying” you better be home tomorrow “ they came to the house and took pictures in every room and all the other stuff

So the next year I went down the retirement route for visa, they never came near my house, never asked for friends or neighbors to verify who or whatever.

So I’m sticking to retirement route, it my castle stay the hell out

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Only thing... your castle is in their country.

I don't mind the pics I think I'm pretty cute. LOL. But I can understand the ease a retirement visa brings you, but I still have projects I want to do that my require a work visa and I can't get that being retired.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

Only thing... your castle is in their country.

I don't mind the pics I think I'm pretty cute. LOL. But I can understand the ease a retirement visa brings you, but I still have projects I want to do that my require a work visa and I can't get that being retired.

Ok fair point if you need that type of visa, but I’ll give you 10 years, and by then you’ll hate how they treat people who are not in their group or clique

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

The good news is I don't stress or worry about much. If I've already adopted one thing is the sabai sabai mentality when it comes to not getting worked up when curves come.

Yeah a good attitude is essential and all I would say is immigration move the goal posts and there head offices in Bangkok & Chiang Mai give other province offices a hard time. 

Try and avoid there lunchtime and don't go late in the day. ????????????

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bolt said:

My short answer to the marriage visa versus retirement  

I did 1 marriage visa extension, and I hated how they told you to wait for a call before they came round, and then randomly called you in 7-10 days saying” you better be home tomorrow “ they came to the house and took pictures in every room and all the other stuff

So the next year I went down the retirement route for visa, they never came near my house, never asked for friends or neighbors to verify who or whatever.

Not all immigration offices are like that our one isn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

You should have your wife call and check before you go there, My wifes Thai passport was also expired, but they did not want us going there because of covid, they were doing everything on line and by mail, but they were so far behind on passport renewals back in April that it would had taken three months to get her passport back, so what they did for us was they gave my wife an emergency permission  to travel  document that she put inside her passport, Every time some IO said that her passport was expired, we showed him the emergency travel document, and no problem, She renew her passport when she came back to Thailand. 

So if renewing your wife's passport is an issue, The emergency travel document is another option. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2