Have you planned to take care of your Spouse after you pass?

Dan747

8 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have an easy solution that probably won't work for most... I take care of my wife by putting things in her name. After 20+ years she has more than enough to last her... and she has the security that comes along with it and I get the enjoyment out of seeing her feel good about it... 

but what about ready cash? She will need cash as well.

Well if I can't take her with me (I'm joking of course) everything reverts to her on my death. She's put up with me over 20 years, she has more than earned not to have to worry about living after I kick the bucket. But since I plan to unlocking the key to immortality, I don't have to worry about it. (Again, joke.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

further proof of numerous <deleted> poor up country “expats” (migrants) sqatting ( sorry, “living”) rent free in their wifes house, living month to month on uk state pensions…. no intention of ever leaving thailand after arrival 20 years ago on one way flight…..so actual tolerated illegal immigrants……no wonder the three month visa extn / reporting Immigration cycle exists……to keep tabs on all these deadbeat wasters (sorry, “respected local community members”).

whats their Insurance status I wonder for long illness here ?

or do they just pop their clogs in their sleep…… ? 

sounds like an extended version of “ One Foot in the Grave” up north here c/w long suffering wives………

must have a thai will for thai assets,+copy to your lady.

my lady has nothing in her name, all,in mine, but she gets the lot on my death…….we have young son so income needed from me….. probably thats keeping me from being poisoned……he he …. only joking… I think.

I wouldn't be too sure of that, you obviously rolling along with quite the bitter streak

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

GF of 6 years will have (upon my passing: assuming she is not the one who kills me off):

1) Her current house (our home) loan paid off in full if not already

2) I plan on buying a separate condo in Hua Hin in a few years to enjoy while alive and that will be bequeathed to her.

3) My 800K+ Immigration account will also go to her upon passing

If resources allow, prior to passing setup a lifetime annuity so steady income supplementation will be there for her golden years.

That's the plan anyway....we'll see as long as she doesn't kill me herself she'll be OK

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Money tied up in land and property is not ready cash, especially in these times when no one has money to buy.

That is why she has 30% in the bank. 

And she lets the family farm the land for free so that they are taken care of too..

This is a question abt planning and surely plenty of thought has gone intio this. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Money tied up in land and property is not ready cash, especially in these times when no one has money to buy.

Do you think that anyone w/money to invest doesn't know this?

And even in these times some people do have money to invest... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

house on the ICW in St. Augustine

fond memory... I remember visiting a friend in the area and we would go to this lovely secluded restaurant on the ICW outside St. Augustine, a lovely town...

had another friend who did developing in CR but I have never been... 

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

most Expats married to a Thai have not taken the time

... shouldn't that read 'most expats YOU know'

Very true - it seems the assumption here is that 'most' farang hangout in a bar drinking away their pensions and have awful marriages... sharing family relations and assets and a life is considered near criminal... or stupid. 

And the farang I know here are just not like that... 

• Like 2

"Pretty pathetic and embarrassing when your friends Spouse starts asking "What do I do Questions!"

So after the husband dies, the widow goes straight to another farang with her problems. The farang is not a citizen, has limited rights, hasn't spent most of his life here and probably doesn't speak the language. Why don't they go to other Thais for help? Especially the family who are a priority at other times. Pathetic indeed.

Everyone knows death is inevitable, but no one can predict when it will happen.  People die unexpectedly all the time.  Being prepared in advance will greatly ease the burden of those who are left behind. 

It's up those likely to be left behind to ensure their burden isn't too great. They are adults and should behave as such, they should initiate discussions around this, because it will be their problem. The culture of expecting outsiders to come to the rescue each and expect little more than a smile in return is well out of hand.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're paying a woman a wage to pretend to love you, why would you care about what happens when you're gone?

Also no woman in the world makes plans for her husband to live FoC after she dies, give them the equality they demand.

It depends on a woman and how well she took care of me. A hint. If I joke on the forum saying she'll kill me first, she'll probably get a big fat zero.

4 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Gave the first wife a 1.5M dollar house on the ICW in St. Augustine and she sold and managed to <deleted> that money away. Twenty years, put her through college to get her Masters, never worked or paid a bill as long as we were together. Cut the ball and chain after 911 and went to Costa Rica and met my current Brazilian wife in the mountains where I was developing and building. It was 2002, I was 47, she was 22. From day one she was helping me, learned English in three months, deposited her first sales commission check for 65K a year later. Fast forward 18 years and together we've built three resort rentals we AirBnB, sold over a thousand acres and spend time between our beach house in Bahia and our 58' Ketch here at Ocean Marina. Deal is when I pass on she gets my half of what we both put together all because it was not an option she would accept to be worthless and lazy. Meanwhile the Ex is living on $900 Social Security with her boyfriend who just got released for performing acupuncture without a license. Let it be, Let it be!

As Long as your not Bitter----thats the main point.................:w00t:

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Very true - it seems the assumption here is that 'most' farang hangout in a bar drinking away their pensions and have awful marriages... sharing family relations and assets and a life is considered near criminal... or stupid. 

And the farang I know here are just not like that... 

Ditto.  Most I know are family oriented, deep rooted, with free & clear houses & vehicles, and plenty of liquid cash.  A few w/children, Yanks, so they will get income from Soc Sec till finished Uni.  Not sure about other nationalities' retirement perks.

To answer OP's query, YES, my wife & not so wee one are set for life, w/liquid and equity building assets.  Neither should need to work and daughter is only 22 yrs old.  So both sitting pretty.

All expats that I'm friends with moved here by choice, not because they could no longer afford to live in home country.

• Like 2

After reading this with my TGF I have just made out a will for her with the proviso she gets 5 million Baht upon my death,signed and witnessed by her two brothers.

Will I be here tomorrow I ask myself......5555

• Haha 1

In the interests of equality and because death is inevitable. What arrangements have ppl's Thai spouses made for them in case of their death? Especially keen to here from family orientated members who are happily married and don't spend time hanging out in bars.

• Like 1