Have you planned to take care of your Spouse after you pass?

Dan747

32 minutes ago, Smithson said:

In the interests of equality and because death is inevitable. What arrangements have ppl's Thai spouses made for them in case of their death? Especially keen to here from family orientated members who are happily married and don't spend time hanging out in bars.

ok... I fit your specs but not sure what you want to know... 

Are you asking what arrangements my wife/family have made for me if she passes first? None probably because I have no needs that they can fulfill... I am sure they would be glad to help if there was something for them to do for me - but what? I am pretty independent and can take care of myself... 

when you say arrangements - are you talking financially? I don't need their help financially and anything that has been given to my wife was a gift and I would want divided up amongst the family. I don't want a return of anything. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

ok... I fit your specs but not sure what you want to know... 

Are you asking what arrangements my wife/family have made for me if she passes first? None probably because I have no needs that they can fulfill... I am sure they would be glad to help if there was something for them to do for me - but what? I am pretty independent and can take care of myself... 

when you say arrangements - are you talking financially? I don't need their help financially and anything that has been given to my wife was a gift and I would want divided up amongst the family. I don't want a return of anything. 

It's your relationship so the choice is yours, but it sounds one way rather than sharing family relations and assets. Not all of us are retirees, some are still working and making ends meet. In this case it's a two way street, a couple is a partnership that needs to plan and work together.

The idea that a man is responsible for his spouses financial security is out dated and sexist, to me anyway. Thai women are very good at making money, I would never be in a relationship with one who didn't contribute financially.

A friend is recently divorced, he's looking after two kids and says Thai women run a mile from this. Yet there are no shortage of women (and their families) who are desperate for farang spouses, provided they pay the bills, be responsible and fix any problems that arise.

• Like 1

I am in the midst of documenting the plan for after I die.  Our only assets are financial accounts located in the US for which my wife is the sole beneficiary.  In the US Transfer on Death accounts pass to the beneficiary directly on death outside of the control of any will.  Since she is a US citizen she will be strongly entitled to spousal benefits from Social Security when she reaches her full retirement age of sixty-seven if I am still alive, which benefits will amount to 50% of my then benefit. If I have died already she will be entitled to the widow's benefit which will be my full benefit.  

In order to assure that she knows where to find everything and how to manage investments we now do every single transaction together including household budgeting, paying bills, and managing investments, all of which is fully organized and up-to-date at all times in the Quicken software.    

All of this takes some thought and planning.  Any husband who does not do his best to provide for his wife after his own death is reprehensible.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

All of this takes some thought and planning.  Any husband who does not do his best to provide for his wife after his own death is reprehensible.

Can someone be reprehensible when they're dead? That's a very old fashioned attitude. In these days of gender equality it's not fair to put such a financial burden on males. This is especially true for farangs in Thailand, who don't have equal rights to employment, citizenship or owning assets.

Thai women will say it's Thai culture for the man to take financial care, but looking around this is clearly untrue. It's up to individuals to take care of themselves, this is particularly true for farang residing here.

• Like 1

jazzdog: “ I wouldn't be too sure of that, you obviously rolling along with quite the bitterstreak”.

bitter ? about these pathetic moaning freeloading wasters leaving their wives, kids  with <deleted> all…..its outrage ! explained why I’m not getting poisoned ( if thats what you mean).  plus I only eat what shevand our boy eat ! ! .see there’s no disputing what I’ve stated re.these wasters…..

Totally had it all planned out and official. She was my sole heir and would remain living on easy street for the rest of her life. Suddenly, shockingly and heartbreakingly, she predeceased me despite being 27 years younger. 

Do your diligent planning, but know that life (and death) don't always cooperate and play by the rules. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Marriage certificate on file. Will made out leaving anything I have in Thailand to her. Hoping to build up the savings account to 500 k baht. Reality is I am retired here, in good part, due to not being able to retire on my $2400 a month from US. Sold all in US when I retired. US retirement goes to my two Sons, separate US Will. She has a house deeded to her on her parents farm. She and a Brother will inherit the land there.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I am in the midst of documenting the plan for after I die.  Our only assets are financial accounts located in the US for which my wife is the sole beneficiary.  In the US Transfer on Death accounts pass to the beneficiary directly on death outside of the control of any will. 

I agree. Whether in US or Thailand there are ways to transfer assets after ones demise without any will or probate court required.

When we married it was always a consideration of how she would survive after my death as she would have no income as my pension would stop on death. So when we were looking for property I would not consider anything that could not be subdivided to give here some cash. As it turned out we bought a house with 5 adjoining blocks of land that could be further subdivided  if necessary.

But that does not solve the problem of income so I pay into the Thai social security for her and hopefully the two daughters will also help her. All my cash in Thailand will go to her and all of the assets are in her name.

At this stage we have been together for 6 years so the question is how much of the money back home goes to her and how much to the family that looked after me for 65 years.

• Thanks 1

Married to my Thai wife for  38 years. Everything here is in her name. Two exceptions ; two joint bank accounts, and one bank account in my name only for visa extension purposes. In latter case the account content is willed to my wife in the event that I pre-decease her.

It only requires little planning, a last will - or two, if you still have assets in your home country - and a shared account with some, or enough, funds for the first period; eventual state in the will that funds in shared bank account(s) belongs to the other named person. Even better is to make sure that the partner - doesn't matter if you are married or not - also have some funds of her (or his, or...) own...:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

At this stage we have been together for 6 years so the question is how much of the money back home goes to her and how much to the family that looked after me for 65 years.

It's an easy choice to make.

How much time do the people back home spend with you.

If the answer is 'none', then that's what you leave them.

Yes, i have and will continue to do so until my final demise,.

Firstly, i have "put my affairs in order"; (no jokes about mia nois please).

This means all my ids and passwords to all my connections, that include friends in England, about bank matters and all my subscriptions and of course about what to do re my pensions.

She has income and savings and she is in an investment pension scheme with a large thai insurance company, a house and a car but in spite of that, i am developing a youtube channel that she can easily manage without further cash involvement that will enable a respectable monthly income as extras to her life. i am happy with what i am doing for her, as I promised before we married.

She is going to be absolutely fine.

Edited by ChrisKC
Misses words

I thought everyone's old lady on this forum had high paying jobs making more than you. You posters who say you don't give the wife money because she's "decent" hard worker. 

My question is why would you be worried of taking care of her after your death but not while you were living.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I thought everyone's old lady on this forum had high paying jobs making more than you. You posters who say you don't give the wife money because she's "decent" hard worker. 

My question is why would you be worried of taking care of her after your death but not while you were living.

see  my  answer  to  all  of  the  above

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rumak said:

well,  bm2,  i always have to remind you that mine is DIFFERENT.    I know all you guys are jealous as hell when you meet mrs R.

She recently bought me a state of the art microwave oven , voice controlled !   then I can go to our

20 cubic meter custom made freezer and choose one of the delicious frozen meals she has prepared for me after her demise.     

In return for all her love and kindness over the years I have left her my dearest possession.... a 25 year old Izusu classic pickup.     We are truly taking care of each other !

my truck .jpg

u  spoil her and  make  problems  for  the  rest  of  us

• Haha 1

How many Thais think or plan retirement? It's been my experience that none do. My MIL has had 2 husbands and not a one has a concern for her well being, certainly no thought of her life, or the kids after their death. This taking care of wife is a western ideology which doesn't apply here. 

I'm getting busy spending more money now so there's none left when I go.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:07 PM, Dan747 said:

I have a "To Do List" in a binder to help my spouse take care of this business

She gets everything in Thailand (2% of my wealth), if there is a kid then that gets the rest (bulk of my wealth), otherwise rest goes to my sisters son and same goes for my inheritance from (that should go to me, unless a son is produced, all goes to my sisters son).

• Like 1