Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

On 10/5/2021 at 8:36 AM, Boarn said:

If this was only for tourists I could stomach it, but if long terms expats have to pay as well that would be yet another spit in the face.

And would I have to pay 500B ever time I go out the country and come back in on a multi entrance  90 day stay . I go out every 90 day .

On 10/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, Kadilo said:

In the grand scheme of things no one is going to worry about an extra 500 baht to travel. Many countries already charge a fee to enter and some also have a tourist tax added to their stay. 

That's why, covid aside, those countries are seeing fewer tourists. 

• Like 1

Err, if this tax is for people entering Thailand, then you expats who want to travel around Thailand

will not be involved with this tax, unless you fly out of the country and return again. You may have to pay the

departure tax as everyone who flies does, but so what?

For the locals who are not rich enough to fly everywhere, there are buses and trains etc.  to get around Thailand..

Geezer

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:20 AM, 473geo said:

During covid there has been a whole new set of travellers come of age.

These are people of the present not the past and they may well fancy a trip to Thailand.

500 baht is not going to influence their decision in the slightest, they are looking for the Thailand experience.

It is really sad that there are those who continually run Thailand down, usually people who must have long forgotten their first visit and the jaw dropping newness.

Tourists will still choose Thailand, despite the best efforts from those for whom it has apparently lost its allure.

I still haven't forgotten the jaw dropping hotness the first day I stepped into Thailand.  Mid-March, 1977.  Basking in the sun at Don Mueang airport for a photo. (I'm the short guy, front center.  Three or four of these guys are still in Thailand.)

image.jpeg.c1fe2737fb946bef07306adf8aad00d6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 1:24 AM, StevieAus said:

That’s been the case in

Manchester for a couple of years and something similar in Sydney where I am from for probably 15 years both drop off and pick up.

It was £3 last time my son picked me up at Manchester.

BAA is about the most expensive airport authority in the world, taxes out of Heathrow to Thailand about 6000 baht. Probably didn't like the idea of Manchester making money in a way they weren't, every chance it will spread throughout the group now.

As said, Thailand is only taking lessons from the experts.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, madmitch said:

Anyone know what happened to this? Or has it quietly been shelved?

I thought it was going to be transparent to the traveller. I can still remember going to the booth at Don Muang in the 80s to pay this fee. One could always ask a tourist, if you can find one. Probably costs more to administer than revenue received this holiday season.

• Like 1