U.K. Electrical socket outlets

AhFarangJa

On 10/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, AhFarangJa said:

You know, that is one of my pet hates here. Pushing a plug with bare pins into a live socket, which nearly always sparks or flashes.

I must say I am learning an awful lot from all the posts, many thanks to everyone, especially Crossy, and Rampant Bunny,,,

:thumbsup:

yeah thos e buuggers  can really make you jump when they arc

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, AhFarangJa said:

So do I, but wanted a professional opinion on whether they are safe or not. it looks like they have a separate unit within the box itself that is completely sealed.

Hi mate, 

Just a few things to consider from an electrician: 

The active / live & neutral is transposed between the uk style and the universal type pictured, sonyou would be switching the neutral only if you used a uk type convention. 

Also the usb outlets have habbit of breaking and outputting far more voltage than you or your device are looking for plus they generally are not (smart) so QC3 or 4 ans may be very slow at charging devices. I personally would not have any in my house unless a very reliable brand

Food for thought

Shaemus 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, shaemus said:

Also the usb outlets have habbit of breaking and outputting far more voltage than you or your device are looking for plus they generally are not (smart) so QC3 or 4 ans may be very slow at charging devices. I personally would not have any in my house unless a very reliable brand

Food for thought

I completely agree.

If you think how much of the price is actually spent on the design of the USB supply and its components (very little), that it’s designed to be permanently on, that capacitors have a limited lifespan, shorter and shorter as they get smaller and used at the maximum specs.

will you trust a 50k tablet or phone on a 50 Baht PSU. 

The only items I would ever use on a wall socket USB are things like a clock or our cat’s water fountain.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2021 at 6:23 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

First  picture I could  find BUT these  are the ones I used they are Haco,  much better switch and  fitting https://www.lazada.co.th/products/haco-2-w816uv2s-i387670490-s753292547.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.1.29aa7eecZ9JCkB&search=1

pluggg.jpg

Hi R.R.

Just an update in case anyone is shopping around. I saw the Haco on Lazada, and also saw a Philips one, they looked close so I ordered both. As you can see by the pics they are identical. Build quality the same, even the same part number on the back. Except the Haco is 230 Baht compared to 180 Baht for the Philips. A considerable difference if you are doing a whole house.

once again, Thanks to all on the forum for the advice.

Haco - Philips sockets 1.jpg

Haco - Philips sockets 2.jpg