U.K. Electrical socket outlets

AhFarangJa

I have tried going through the forums, but cannot find any threads. I will shortly be doing some renovation work at the house in Surin. One job is to replace the worn out fragile Thai sockets with U.K. three pin sockets. i am seeing a lot of these on Lazada, and would like to know if anyone has used them here yet? 

uk wall socket ราคาถูก ซื้อออนไลน์ที่ Lazada.co.th  I will not be putting them everywhere, but they look a good idea for the bedrooms, and lounge. I am hoping to get B.S. 1363 if possible.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, they're great for phone chargers, lappies etc. But hair dryers are really a no-no. Also, the cheaper ones won't work well with non-UK plugs once a UK plug has been inserted.

We have a few UK style traily leads which I got in Singapore, just fit Thai plugs and you're good to go.

This is probably the one case where a spider is actually recommended.

• Like 2

Many thanks for all your advice guys, These look the way to go Rampant Rabbit. I was ready to change all the plugs on appliances as well, but these Thai sockets do look stronger than what is currently fitted ( no pun intended...)

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

ELECTRICAL FORUM

MOVED

Many Thanks Charlie. I tried to find an electrical forum, but when I click on Thai forums nothing comes up, only general topics, or visa, etc. Maybe I am doing something wrong, no.......I probably am doing something wrong !!!!

35 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Many Thanks Charlie. I tried to find an electrical forum, but when I click on Thai forums nothing comes up, only general topics, or visa, etc. Maybe I am doing something wrong, no.......I probably am doing somenothing wrong !!!!

No worries, the menu structure is not the best.

You need to go to "Real Estate" then drop that menu for Electrical and DIY etc.????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No worries, the menu structure is not the best.

You need to go to "Real Estate" then drop that menu for Electrical and DIY etc.????

Thanks, I would never have worked that one out !!!

• Like 2

I have several UK sockets and appliances using UK plugs ,

UK plugs are much better than any Thai ones, plus you

have the added safety of having a fuse in the plug. I got

mine from UK , you can also get from Singapore where

they use the same system.

regards Worgeordie 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have several UK sockets and appliances using UK plugs ,

UK plugs are much better than any Thai ones, plus you

have the added safety of having a fuse in the plug. I got

mine from UK , you can also get from Singapore where

they use the same system.

regards Worgeordie 

Thanks Worgeordie, the fuse part is what I like also, plus the build quality.

11 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Thanks Worgeordie, the fuse part is what I like also, plus the build quality.

Never cheap out on power receptacles. 

After couple years when they don't work as well you will regret having saved a few baht now well forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

spacer.png

I like the idea of the integral USB charger sockets.

So do I, but wanted a professional opinion on whether they are safe or not. it looks like they have a separate unit within the box itself that is completely sealed.

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

spacer.png

I like the idea of the integral USB charger sockets.

The idea is good, the execution is debatable. A good quality USB power supply runs at about 1,000 Baht. How much is that socket? If it has a good quality power supply it should cost at least 1,500 Baht. Also the power supply is almost certainly always on stressing it even more. 

cheap usb power supplies are not as safe as quality ones they can (and have) killed both people and devices 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The idea is good, the execution is debatable. A good quality USB power supply runs at about 1,000 Baht. How much is that socket? If it has a good quality power supply it should cost at least 1,500 Baht. Also the power supply is almost certainly always on stressing it even more. 

cheap usb power supplies are not as safe as quality ones they can (and have) killed both people and devices 

They are about 450 to 490 Baht on Lazada

• 3 weeks later...

If you see universal sockets or EU/Shuiko or UK sockets for sale and you think you might need them later, snap them up fast as they are no longer allowed to be sold, the remaining stocks are legal to be sold for now but newer ones are not legal to sell as wall sockets as they are not 'Thai Standard' you can probably order them online shipped in from China, but you won't be able to get them from proper brands like Panasonic Haco and Clipsal in hardware stores anymore....

who knows if you have a new build and the electric company come to inspect your house for a new meter and see one fitted to the wall they would not connect you for being not up to code, probably not

universal adapters, meanwhile are not covered by the Thai code and is legal to sell... go figures 

Why use UK sockets? 

My child was close to being electrocuted from inserting a key inside one of the UK sockets which are made much wider and rectangular in shape .

Close to being impossible in a usual European socket .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Why use UK sockets? 

My child was close to being electrocuted from inserting a key inside one of the UK sockets which are made much wider and rectangular in shape .

Close to being impossible in a usual European socket .

A pukka BS1363 outlet should be impossible to open the shutters with pressure on just one side. Of course the Chinese versions ...

You can get "real" ones in Malaysia or Singapore.

That said, I wouldn't use them here. If you do decide to use them don't install ring-finals, stick to 2.5mm2 radials on 20A breakers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

A pukka BS1363 outlet should be impossible to open the shutters with pressure on just one side. Of course the Chinese versions ...

That said, I wouldn't use them here. If you do decide to use them don't install ring-finals, stick to 2.5mm2 radials on 20A breakers.

yep impossible  also UK  plugs should  be insulated  about  halfway down  on the Line  and Neutral so  yer  cant stick your fingers on the terminals

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Many thanks for all your advice guys, These look the way to go Rampant Rabbit. I was ready to change all the plugs on appliances as well, but these Thai sockets do look stronger than what is currently fitted ( no pun intended...)

First  picture I could  find BUT these  are the ones I used they are Haco,  much better switch and  fitting https://www.lazada.co.th/products/haco-2-w816uv2s-i387670490-s753292547.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.1.29aa7eecZ9JCkB&search=1

pluggg.jpg

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

BS1363's shutter should only be able to open with pressure from the ground prong isn't it? 

The Thai shuttered sockets in extension cord as per TIS2432-2555 requires even pressure from both holes to open 

10 hours ago, digbeth said:

BS1363's shutter should only be able to open with pressure from the ground prong isn't it?  

It varies with manufacturer.

Many sockets use the original method of shutters opened by the earth pin, longer than the other pins and hence opening the shutters before the other pins engage, alone. Alternatively, shutters may be opened by simultaneous insertion of line and neutral pins. Some later designs require all three pins to be inserted simultaneously.

There is a specific requirement in the standard to ensure that Europlugs and other two-pin plugs may not be used with BS 1363 sockets "It shall not be possible to operate a shutter by inserting a 2-pin plug into a 3-pin socket-outlet." Of course 2-pin "adaptors" which operate the shutters and then allow the use of a Europlug are readily available outside of the UK.

10 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

4mm  the  norm  now  in the UK..........coming  soon 10mm !!!

Yeah, there was method in my suggestion for 2.5mm2. In the future one may wish to sell the house, the new owners would very likely want to install Thai outlets. 4mm2 cable with it's associated 32A breaker would constitute a fire hazard when used with the unfused 16A Thai plugs and outlets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:16 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

yep impossible  also UK  plugs should  be insulated  about  halfway down  on the Line  and Neutral so  yer  cant stick your fingers on the terminals

You know, that is one of my pet hates here. Pushing a plug with bare pins into a live socket, which nearly always sparks or flashes.

I must say I am learning an awful lot from all the posts, many thanks to everyone, especially Crossy, and Rampant Bunny,,,

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1