Kudos to Bangkok Bank! Credit card fraud issue.

I have just had, for the first time anywhere,  my BB Debit card hacked and money transferred out in 3 quick transactions on Tuesday evening. 

Fortunately I keep the card on me in my wallet or at night in the safe.

Total "stolen" is about 12000 baht.

Luckily I have SMS advice immediately there is any transaction done and so saw it immediately. 

Rang Customer Service (number on the back of the card )..... who, although slow to answer, cancelled the card and advised their fraud officers to investigate. 

My question to #Jeffr2 is did you have to submit any written report and/or declaration that these were unauthorized payments NOT done by me??

Any assistance in resolving this will be greatly appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I have just had, for the first time anywhere,  my BB Debit card hacked and money transferred out in 3 quick transactions on Tuesday evening. 

My question to #Jeffr2 is did you have to submit any written report and/or declaration that these were unauthorized payments NOT done by me??

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago where I received an sms notified me that there been a mystery payment my debit card, which I'd never used and was locked in a draw at home.

Like you it took a long time to communicate with Customer Services, who cancelled the card and after a few calls, they never ever called my back, advised me that I'd need to make a police report and email to them.

They wouldn't budge on the police report, which I duly got with the officers expressing their displeasure had having to do so, but were friendly enough.

The debit was credited back to my card a few days later, though they didn't inform that they'd done so, and neither did they advise how the transaction had happened.

I have decided not to get a new atm card and will just use the cardless facility on my phone. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So, you have a credit (debit?) card that for some strange reason you keep in another country and never monitor the balance online or in an app?

I'm traveling in Europe. The card is locked up in our house in Thailand. What's strange about this? Jeez...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Fortunately I keep the card on me in my wallet or at night in the safe.

Total "stolen" is about 12000 baht.

Luckily I have SMS advice immediately there is any transaction done and so saw it immediately. 

Rang Customer Service (number on the back of the card )..... who, although slow to answer, cancelled the card and advised their fraud officers to investigate. 

Any assistance in resolving this will be greatly appreciated. 

The card has disappeared from the app. Can't see it. We were told there'd be an investigation and we'd be informed of the outcome. But the guy on the phone said there were quite a few hacks from the UK recently. Perhaps something is up they are aware of?

The card hasn't been used since early June.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

If you have ever been through this, you'll know that's a ridiculous comment. I've been through this many, many times. Sometimes, it's not easy to get the charges reversed. The worst one for me took over 6 months of dedicated effort.

I have been through it several times with US banks including fraudulent charges made in Thailand. All it ever took was one phone call to get the charges reversed, card cancelled, new card sent out, and an apology. Sometimes they even contacted me first because the charges seemed suspect.

Why should it be any different with Bangkok Bank?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

The card has disappeared from the app. Can't see it. We were told there'd be an investigation and we'd be informed of the outcome. But the guy on the phone said there were quite a few hacks from the UK recently. Perhaps something is up they are aware of?

The card hasn't been used since early June.

One of the perpetrators on my card is called CULT BEAUTY. Googled this and turns out to be a UK firm!

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago where I received an sms notified me that there been a mystery payment my debit card, which I'd never used and was locked in a draw at home.

Like you it took a long time to communicate with Customer Services, who cancelled the card and after a few calls, they never ever called my back, advised me that I'd need to make a police report and email to them.

They wouldn't budge on the police report, which I duly got with the officers expressing their displeasure had having to do so, but were friendly enough.

The debit was credited back to my card a few days later, though they didn't inform that they'd done so, and neither did they advise how the transaction had happened.

I have decided not to get a new atm card and will just use the cardless facility on my phone. 

Thanks for your post. Looks like I'll have to do a police report then, tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, curtklay said:

If you've been through this "many, many times", something's wrong with your security.

I travel 6 months of the year. 130 countries so far. But yes, security is dodgy in many parts of the world.

Before retirement, I was doing the same charging over 10k USD a month on cards. While traveling all over.

• Haha 1

I had two charges from Coles in Australia against my BB card about a month ago.  I called the bank and they're reversed one so far, no word on the second one.  I also contacted Coles on their web page, not a peep back from them.

Thanks for your kind words of appreciation. We are grateful for your business and it is our pleasure to provide service. I will pass on your kind comments to our Credit Card Division. The security and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority and it always nice to know when this is appreciated

Ian

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ianguygil said:

Thanks for your kind words of appreciation. We are grateful for your business and it is our pleasure to provide service. I will pass on your kind comments to our Credit Card Division. The security and satisfaction of our customers is our highest priority and it always nice to know when this is appreciated

Ian

Glad you saw this! You helped me out in the past. Hope you are doing ok!

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, Jeffr2 said:

We've been away for months with our credit card safety locked away in Thailand. Got a notice of the card being maxed out and payment was needed.

Any suspicions of where you may have used the card that basically was the 'source'. I have always had concerns as security in Thailand wrt card numbers is loose, and some mail order outfits keep your card details too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Any suspicions of where you may have used the card that basically was the 'source'. I have always had concerns as security in Thailand wrt card numbers is loose, and some mail order outfits keep your card details too. 

Good question. We do use the card a lot at Tesco. And that's where it was used in the UK. Last use was early June. First fraud was early September.

Makes sense, but an awful long time between charges. Maybe they'll tell us after the investigation?

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Good question. We do use the card a lot at Tesco. And that's where it was used in the UK. Last use was early June. First fraud was early September.

Makes sense, but an awful long time between charges. Maybe they'll tell us after the investigation?

Surprising that the card had not been used more closely to the fraud.... one expects they will splurge until it gets blocked. Tesco link is ominous. I don't know if you will get that feedback...banks are cagey about fraud events. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Just did a police report for my "fraudulent use of my Debit card"

About the same as going to IO.

Being a Saturday I guessed it would be slow.

One copper there. Says go next door room. Empty ! Came back...please wait. Another20 mins waiting.

Another Captain arrives at room nextdoor, but he says go back to first room and wait.....another 20mins...then the first guy we spoke to called us over and painstakingly did the report.

So got it, but about 1.5hrs after we arrived.

TIT..

• Sad 1