Buying a garden home in a subdivision

Okay this may be waaaaaaay out of the box but I am wondering.

I have an option to buy my garden home.

Here is where I get screwy in my thinking.

Apartment buildings are part of condo's and have condo fees that have to be paid.  The condo owns the land but all you own in an apartment condo is the apartment that you live in.

For this right you pay condo fees and all that good stuff.  But you can never own the land.

In a garden home group the units are joined and while in some units you have a little garden space you really do not own the land and could not for instance either sell it or tear down the garden home and rebuild it.

The rules for Farang is that a Farang is allowed to buy a unit as long as long as there are more Thai owners than non Thai.  

My question is therefore:

has anyone had any luck buying a garden home in their name?

Is it possible?

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A house, townhouse, shop house etc, all sit on a piece of individually owned land, that you cannot own, (unless you do a company etc). 

People 100% own the land under what you call a garden home, you can demolish the house, sell the land etc, but zoning etc would only allow the same house to be rebuilt.

In a condo block, technically, all the owners collectively own the land it sits on. If a condo block gets demolished the land gets sold and you get a share of the money equal to the condo you owned.

You may be right but I would disagree about the land,

Garden homes are built on a property yes but it is a managed property that is regulated.  YOu can not demolish a garden home when it is in the middle of a row. any more than you can demolish an apartment that is on the top floor.

Thanks for your input though it is greatly appreciated.

Sent the same wording to my lawyer to see what the legal response is will post it when I get it.

What do you mean by "garden home"?

On 10/7/2021 at 5:39 PM, kingstonkid said:

Apartment buildings are part of condo's and have condo fees that have to be paid.  The condo owns the land but all you own in an apartment condo is the apartment that you live in.

An apartment and a condo are two completely different things

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1