Shortage of cigarettes in Thailand - conflicting reasons but bottom line is new supplies, higher prices Oct 15th

webfact

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

A source at the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly that Sanook did not name said the shortage was caused by a complete stop in production of local cigarettes on October 1st due to a belt failure in a piece of equipment.

Good

''The source said that when the next lot was available - probably 15th - 16th October''

That's a shame

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

- their products would be sold at the new prices that would be higher than the last lot on the shelves on September 30th.

Good

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

They strongly suspected hoarding of old stock that would be sold later at increased prices thus enhancing profit. 

This is exactly what's going on. Delivery contracts have been broken, it's a free for all out there right now and everyone is screwing everyone else over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This followed an announcement to changes in excise tax rates.

The cabinet agreed on 28 Sept to increase tax on cigarettes from 20% to 25%
At present, a 20% tax rate is applied to the retail price for cigarette packs costing up to 60 baht.

If the retail price exceeds 60 baht per pack, a 40% tax rate is applied. 
It was expected to take affect on 1st Oct.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't believe them about a production line failure.... and this is based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, bar the fact that this is Thailand.

Amazing that will be fixed about 15th of the month.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Many smokers in Thailand have been wondering why their favorite brands have disappeared from shelves since the start of this month.

Not really. The price hike and the shortage coinciding made the reason pretty obvious to most. Some may have been surprised by the blatancy of it, I suppose, not me though, TIT.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, overt2016 said:

Amazing that will be fixed about 15th of the month.

Yes, another experience I have of Thailand is things take time to get fixed (water for eg...although the electric company does very well)....... Again I am amazed how barefaced lies are pumped out here straight-faced. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, another experience I have of Thailand is things take time to get fixed (water for eg...although the electric company does very well)....... Again I am amazed how barefaced lies are pumped out here straight-faced. 

Only being economical with the truth.

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is exactly what's going on. Delivery contracts have been broken, it's a free for all out there right now and everyone is screwing everyone else over.

You mean they are Thai'ing each other? Shocking!

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Haha 2