Shortage of cigarettes in Thailand - conflicting reasons but bottom line is new supplies, higher prices Oct 15th

webfact

19 hours ago, fangless said:

The cabinet agreed on 28 Sept to increase tax on cigarettes from 20% to 25%
At present, a 20% tax rate is applied to the retail price for cigarette packs costing up to 60 baht.

If the retail price exceeds 60 baht per pack, a 40% tax rate is applied. 
It was expected to take affect on 1st Oct.

This is all a con to increase all of them to 40% tax as to my knowledge no cigarettes are less than 60 baht, unless you buy a large carton. The 25% increase will make them all   more than 60 baht. Do the Thai monopolies get part of the tax ? no they don't so who exactly would be profiteering from this scam, surely there couldn't be any corruption involved. Ehm

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, jacko45k said:

Of course restaurants (indoor) should be no smoking, so you could complain. I find many locals wander away from the tables to smoke at outdoor places too.

So they should, I always ask in company or just leave if it's obvious like children or eating. General curtsey.

2 hours ago, Paul Kernell said:

So they should, I always ask in company or just leave if it's obvious like children or eating. General curtsey.

Not always so general though is it. Some places, like say Hungry Hippo (Pattaya), it is as if outdoors is deemed the smoking area, and non-smoking there is not tolerated... nowhere for smokers to wander off to really. 

Edited by jacko45k