Thai nationals and western vaccines-

john thom

Just a question and opinion .  My thai partner and her family don't want anything to do with vaccines from China- I've had 2 Pfizer shots, Does anybody think that western vaccines will be offered to Thai nationals anytime soon-

AFAIK, you still can't walk in and purchase Pfizer, Moderna, etc. anywhere yet (would love to be corrected as I have some family members who are waiting as well, but a bit on the old side so we don't want to wheel them to a mass vax centre nor are they able to just fly and vaccinate).   There are still 'reservation forms' but no cash and carry.   

Edited by Heng

there suppose to be some 6mln the AZ every month.

Also there were 400k and 1mln of the AZ donated from the UK and Japan. British Chamber of Commerce were doing bookings for them - that included also thai citizens. It was back in August, you have missed that.

Also they had chance (and probably still do) to book private moderna at 1350b per shot. Some limited coming already in November.

Moderna, Pfizer, J&J were ordered by the government, but very not likely any will come this year.

In my opinion your girlfriend and her family don't care much of vax, otherwise they would already enrol for many ongoing projects and already had their first AZ. Don't try to make them happy by paying for moderna. Likely they won't take it and it would be wasted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

there suppose to be some 6mln the AZ every month.

Also there were 400k and 1mln of the AZ donated from the UK and Japan. British Chamber of Commerce were doing bookings for them - that included also thai citizens. It was back in August, you have missed that.

Also they had chance (and probably still do) to book private moderna at 1350b per shot. Some limited coming already in November.

Moderna, Pfizer, J&J were ordered by the government, but very not likely any will come this year.

In my opinion your girlfriend and her family don't care much of vax, otherwise they would already enrol for many ongoing projects and already had their first AZ. Don't try to make them happy by paying for moderna. Likely they won't take it and it would be wasted.

they were offered sinovac.  I was offered AZ, when I went down to get the shot, found out it was sinovac. waited for Pfizer-

I think AZ has been sporadically available from Chiang mai RAM hospital, none available now.

Only on one offer for Thai nationals is Sinovac + AZ.

We decided a few days ago, as Thailand seems intent on opening the flood gates on Nov 1 better to get Sinovac + AZ now and push for Moderna booster later.

One would hope the Sinovac + AZ combination will offer enough protection in the mean time.!

OP, you need to find a private hospital in your area or somewhere you can go that's participating in the Moderna vaccines program organized by the Thai Private Hospitals Assn. Those doses are supposed to be arriving in the 4th quarter of this year and the first quarter of next year.

And AFAIK, those are all available regardless of nationality, provided you can find a private hospital still accepting "reservations" for the private (non-government) Moderna doses and you're willing to pony up the 1300+ baht per dose pay in advance fee that's being required.

But those private Moderna doses are a relatively hot commodity, AFAIK, especially given the relatively large number of Thais who are adverse to taking the government-offered Chinese-made doses. So I'm not sure to what extent new reservations for those upcoming Moderna doses are still available at this point.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1