How Many Foreigners Per Country?

My first post! :o I seem to recall there was something mentioned about a limit on the number of foreigners per country that can live in the Kingdom. I thought I remembered it was something like 100 foreigners per country. I could be mistaken about that. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks,

- AmeriThai

The reference to 100 individuals per nationality is in relation to maximum allowed awards of permament residency each year. This "upper limit" number is basically irrelevant, since permanent residency approval rates are quite low. You may not even apply for permanent residency until you have resided in Thailand for three consecutive years on CONSECUTIVE long-term entry permit extensions. But - that just makes you eligible - in recent years, I think it is rare for anyone to obtain approved PR status who has not spent at least 8-10 years on the ground here.

Otherwise, you can reside here in "non-immigrant" status for as long as you qualify, without regard to numbers of your country-mates here. Including - you can spent the rest of your life here - without ever receiving PR status.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks Steve. My wife (a Thai citizen) and I are planning to retire to LoS in a few short years. Neither of us are kids, and have built a modest house in Thailand. Our goal is to spend more time with the kids and grandkids there. I speak Thai, so language is not a major concern for me, although there's still much I don't know. We've both reached a point that traveling there on an annual basis is tiring on our aging bones.

I'm still feeling my way around on this forum and am looking at the non-immigrant status as a possible option. It wasn't that long ago when things seemed a whole lot simpler. But the world is changing and so too are various regulations. Regardless, it's important to start getting all the information I can now in order to plan ahead.

At the moment, the amount of money to be deposited into a non-interest bearing Thai bank account, or annual income, may be a bit shy of the required amount. Wow! Did that turn into a whopper! I thought I saw something, some time ago, that it could be a combination of annual income PLUS the bank account as long as the combination totaled to the required amount. Then it seems like there were a few conflicting views about the "requirements".

At the moment, I'm still scratching my head about which visa will be the best visa option for me. Another option (ugh) may be a tourist visa, although I suppose that would mean returning to the US periodically to reapply for another visa.

Years ago, things were much different. A transit visa allowed up to 15 days in the Kingdom without a visa, as long as you had an outward bound ticket showing the departure date. To stay in the Kingdom for 30 days meant applying for a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon. Over the last good number of years, the transit visa was extended to 30 days, which was much more convenient for me.

Obviously, to "retire" in the Kingdom is going to take a lot more than just a transit visa. I'm also trying to determine whether or not there are certain valid exceptions that might be considered, family, health, etc. Perhaps I will take some time to talk with the consulate office in Portland about this. But I also think it's important to talk with others here to better understand what options there are to consider on the basis of their own personal experience regarding visas to consider for retirement.

I'm still browsing through threads that deal with the subject of retirement. In the end, I'm hopeful that a solution will be found. Right now, there's just a lot of questions to feel more comfortable about. But that's all part of the learning experience.

Sorry if I've gone OT a bit and rambled on. Any helpful advice or threads that anyone can point me to will be greatly appreciated. I'm still a newbie, but I'll get the hang of things here eventually.

Best regards,

- AmeriThai

Thanks Steve. My wife (a Thai citizen) and I are planning to retire to LoS in a few short years. Neither of us are kids, and have built a modest house in Thailand. Our goal is to spend more time with the kids and grandkids there. I speak Thai, so language is not a major concern for me, although there's still much I don't know. We've both reached a point that traveling there on an annual basis is tiring on our aging bones.

I'm still feeling my way around on this forum and am looking at the non-immigrant status as a possible option. It wasn't that long ago when things seemed a whole lot simpler. But the world is changing and so too are various regulations. Regardless, it's important to start getting all the information I can now in order to plan ahead.

At the moment, the amount of money to be deposited into a non-interest bearing Thai bank account, or annual income, may be a bit shy of the required amount. Wow! Did that turn into a whopper! I thought I saw something, some time ago, that it could be a combination of annual income PLUS the bank account as long as the combination totaled to the required amount. Then it seems like there were a few conflicting views about the "requirements".

At the moment, I'm still scratching my head about which visa will be the best visa option for me. Another option (ugh) may be a tourist visa, although I suppose that would mean returning to the US periodically to reapply for another visa.

Years ago, things were much different. A transit visa allowed up to 15 days in the Kingdom without a visa, as long as you had an outward bound ticket showing the departure date. To stay in the Kingdom for 30 days meant applying for a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon. Over the last good number of years, the transit visa was extended to 30 days, which was much more convenient for me.

Obviously, to "retire" in the Kingdom is going to take a lot more than just a transit visa. I'm also trying to determine whether or not there are certain valid exceptions that might be considered, family, health, etc. Perhaps I will take some time to talk with the consulate office in Portland about this. But I also think it's important to talk with others here to better understand what options there are to consider on the basis of their own personal experience regarding visas to consider for retirement.

I'm still browsing through threads that deal with the subject of retirement. In the end, I'm hopeful that a solution will be found. Right now, there's just a lot of questions to feel more comfortable about. But that's all part of the learning experience.

Sorry if I've gone OT a bit and rambled on. Any helpful advice or threads that anyone can point me to will be greatly appreciated. I'm still a newbie, but I'll get the hang of things here eventually.

Best regards,

- AmeriThai

You are going to need to have a Non-Immigrant O class visa based on marriage to a Thai. Provided you can comply with the 400.000 baht income / savings rule ( and it can be a combination ) you can extend that visa in Thailand for a year at a time. Dig out your wifes old Thai documents and apply for a Thai passport for her before you come to Thailand.

Pat outlined the support Thai wife visa and will add that the money in a local account can earn interest (although now the rates are very low - just as in the US). It has to be an active type account (passbook savings) rather than higher interest fixed deposit account but you do get as much as most checking with interest type accounts in the US.

You are going to need to have a Non-Immigrant O class visa based on marriage to a Thai. Provided you can comply with the 400.000 baht income / savings rule ( and it can be a combination ) you can extend that visa in Thailand for a year at a time. Dig out your wifes old Thai documents and apply for a Thai passport for her before you come to Thailand.

Thank you dr_pat_pong and lopburi3. Frankly, I've been feeling almost (not quite though) depressed thinking about all new changes when I learned about them. We were last in LoS Feb, 2003. You've made my day! :o

A Non-Immigrant Class O type visa based on Marriage to a Thai would require a combination income/savings of about $9797.70 USD (400,000 THB) at today's rates. Of course, a couple of years from now rates can change, as can regulations (TIT). But assuming that regulations remain the same, I'll more than qualify for the income/savings requirement. In fact, more than qualify just on retirement income alone. Somehow I had the notion that the income/saving requirement was much higher for those wanting a one-year visa.

I'm assuming I will still need to originally apply for the visa here in the US, before making the move to Thailand.

You've kindly answered another question I had in mind: would I need to return to the US at the time when the visa expires? But as I understand, it can be renewed in Thailand as long as I am able to show that I can meet the financial requirements.

My wife has a current and valid Thai passport, as well as her Thai citizen ID card. So, I'm guessing there wouldn't be a need to dig up her old Thai documents for her. We usually go to Thailand each year to visit the kids, grandkids and other relatives and friends. She renewed her documents last time we were there. And her US Resident Alien card for the US is valid until 2006.

I'm certainly glad about this forum and appreciate all those who share their own experiences and knowledge with others. I'll likely make this forum my "home" and become a familiar poster here.

Many thanks!

- AmeriThai

Before you leave the US just obtain a normal non-immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage (they may want to see marriage certificate and her passport but no other requirements) and file a wire transfer agreement with your US bank. I would also open a joint account here in Thailand on a trip (good to get a non immigrant visa for this too as banks like that better) so you will be ready when the time comes and have address/banking information to give your bank.

This visa need only be only a single entry type as when 60 days have gone by of the 90 day stay you can go to an immigration office inside Thailand to apply for 'extension of stay based on supporting Thai wife'. This is where you show the money in the bank and a bank letter confirming account status (be sure to send the money by wire transfer to provide proof it came from overseas). You then do this each year at the same time. If you want to travel outside Thailand you obtain a re-entry permit which is used from next entry and can be obtained in multi type for the full year if you travel much. The only other duty is to report your address every 90 days; but that can be done by registered mail if you are not close to an office.

Before you leave the US just obtain a normal non-immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage (they may want to see marriage certificate and her passport but no other requirements) and file a wire transfer agreement with your US bank.  I would also open a joint account here in Thailand on a trip (good to get a non immigrant visa for this too as banks like that better) so you will be ready when the time comes and have address/banking information to give your bank. 

This visa need only be only a single entry type as when 60 days have gone by of the 90 day stay you can go to an immigration office inside Thailand to apply for 'extension of stay based on supporting Thai wife'.  This is where you show the money in the bank and a bank letter confirming account status (be sure to send the money by wire transfer to provide proof it came from overseas).  You then do this each year at the same time.  If you want to travel outside Thailand you obtain a re-entry permit which is used from next entry and can be obtained in multi type for the full year if you travel much.  The only other duty is to report your address every 90 days; but that can be done by registered mail if you are not close to an office.

Thanks for the reminder about taking along the marriage certificate and her passport. We have 2 marriage certificates (one for each of us I guess) that we received when we registered our marriage years ago. Next time we're in Thailand, we'll open a joint bank account.

I was thinking BKK Bank, but we had a problem getting travelers cheques cashed at a branch in Saraburi. They practically wanted proof of every detail that my wife is in fact a Thai and that the cheques weren't stolen. No matter what proof we provided, they kept asking for more. I can understand though because there had been a rash of stolen cheques showing up around the Kingdom at the time. Apart from that the service was rude and painfully slow there - a surprising contrast from the year before. We finally got fed up with it, politely left and went to the main branch of Thai Farmers Bank in Saraburi instead. The service there was fast and polite and they were satisfied with the proof we provided. So that may be a more likely choice to open a joint account.

As for travel outside of the Kingdom, we'll probably make occasional trips back to the US to visit family, but probably once a year, or less. The jetlag to the US is too hard for us these days. We may ask family members to come visit us in Thailand instead. :o

By the way, I did notice there are other forum members who are also confused about the immigration regulations. Glad to know I'm not the only one. In dealing with immigration matters (visa), I'll be sticking with the offices located in BKK.

Cheers,

- AmeriThai