Thai monks' livestream mixes Buddhism and jokes but not all are laughing

Jonathan Fairfield

On 10/13/2021 at 8:53 PM, VincentRJ said:

"Monks' behaviour has to be respectable in the public eye. It doesn't have to change with the time to appease young people," said Srisuwan Janya, head of the Association for the Protection of the Constitution.

As I understand, a basic principle of Buddhism is that nothing is permanent, and everything is subject to change.

Provided it doesn't interfere with the cash- flow of far too many temples. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:53 PM, VincentRJ said:

"Monks' behaviour has to be respectable in the public eye. It doesn't have to change with the time to appease young people," said Srisuwan Janya, head of the Association for the Protection of the Constitution.

As I understand, a basic principle of Buddhism is that nothing is permanent, and everything is subject to change.

I think you're right but I'm not sure that Thais are as interested in actual Buddhism as they are in monks and temples. When I first started coming to Thailand I bought a book on Theravada Buddhism so that I could better understand it. It was a bit like reading a London tourist guide book in New York. Very interesting but totally irrelevant to the current situation. I read all about the 5 precepts and noticed that many Thais seemed to have confused them with a to do list. The best way to stop a Thai talking to you is ask difficult questions about Buddhism. How do you eat meat without killing or harming it? What about drunken driving which goes against two precepts? If monks can't touch a woman or an object at the same time as a women since that may distract them from their focus on Buddha maybe they aren't that committed and what if they are gay? There's loads of them.

Buddhism has changed anyway. Did monks hundreds of years ago have electric amplification even when praying in a house? Did they play loud music to disturb people over a large area?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Thanks for your response. I've never experienced life as a monk, although I have at times considered trying it, because I have a general interest in religious matters, as well as the 'truth' (whatever that is), and I like experimentation.

However, the strict adherence to hundreds of rules has put me off life as a Buddhist monk. I'm not a 'conformist'. I prefer to work things out for myself and do what I think is sensible and ethical.

I'd be interested to know why you are no longer a monk, and what you gained from the experience.

My mother lived in Arizona and was having health problems.  I was the only one of the family not married with a family that could go take care of her.  As far as experience, I learned a lot about the Buddhist religion up close and personal, plus I learned a lot about myself.  Like and dislikes and my temper when it came to other people and situations. I learned to be a lot more tolerant and patience.   I learned you don't have to eat 3 or 4 meals a day to survive.  Pretty sure I also learned a little humility.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

My mother lived in Arizona and was having health problems.  I was the only one of the family not married with a family that could go take care of her.  As far as experience, I learned a lot about the Buddhist religion up close and personal, plus I learned a lot about myself.  Like and dislikes and my temper when it came to other people and situations. I learned to be a lot more tolerant and patience.   I learned you don't have to eat 3 or 4 meals a day to survive.  Pretty sure I also learned a little humility.  

I was a monk from Jan. 2007 until Nov. 2013.  Mostly in a small temple in Khok Samrong, Lopburi.  I ordained at Wat Phut U Dom in Lom Luk Kha. 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

"That will lead to the decline of Buddhism, which has already existed for nearly 2,600 years without needing to change before."

Do they know that Thailand only industrialize in the late 1970s? For most part of 2,600 years nothing changes.

13 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

I was a monk from Jan. 2007 until Nov. 2013.  Mostly in a small temple in Khok Samrong, Lopburi.  I ordained at Wat Phut U Dom in Lom Luk Kha. 

That's almost 7 years. Well done! ????

Meditation, introspection, control of one's desires and habits, or self-control in general, is a great achievement. I think one can practice this without becoming a monk, but the fundamental teachings of Buddhism helps to provide insight and understanding of the major issues in life that affect all of us.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:03 AM, RichardColeman said:

Temples recently seem to have had more fingers in more dodgy pies than Al Capone had dodgy tax dealings

I have no time for any of them.  They suck the blood of the very society they profess to help.  The most selfish religion in the world and that's saying something. 

10 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

That's almost 7 years. Well done! ????

Meditation, introspection, control of one's desires and habits, or self-control in general, is a great achievement. I think one can practice this without becoming a monk, but the fundamental teachings of Buddhism helps to provide insight and understanding of the major issues in life that affect all of us.

"I think one can practice this without becoming a monk,"  I agree, it can.  But it's easier to do when your with like minded individuals and in a place without a lot of distractions.  If you ever get a chance to visit and stay at Suan Mokkh, I think you would enjoy it.  I don't know if they have re-opened yet, but it's a great place of tranquility.  

17 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

"I think one can practice this without becoming a monk,"  I agree, it can.  But it's easier to do when your with like minded individuals and in a place without a lot of distractions.  If you ever get a chance to visit and stay at Suan Mokkh, I think you would enjoy it.  I don't know if they have re-opened yet, but it's a great place of tranquility.  

Since I live in Australia, outside of a bustling city centre, and also have a 5-acre retreat in the countryside, surrounded by cute Wallabies and Kookaburras, I have no difficulty finding a place of tranquility, (although I do admit the loud laughter of the Kookaburras can sometimes be a bit disturbing  ????  ).

I've heard about Suan Mokkh and did consider staying there a few years ago, but was put off by stories of the concrete beds without a mattress, and the wooden pillows. ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Since I live in Australia, outside of a bustling city centre, and also have a 5-acre retreat in the countryside, surrounded by cute Wallabies and Kookaburras, I have no difficulty finding a place of tranquility, (although I do admit the loud laughter of the Kookaburras can sometimes be a bit disturbing  ????  ).

I've heard about Suan Mokkh and did consider staying there a few years ago, but was put off by stories of the concrete beds without a mattress, and the wooden pillows. ????

Have you ever had the chance to go visit with Ajahn Brahm?  

23 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

No. He lives on the opposite side of Australia, about 4,000 km away. I'm on the East coast. ????

He's one of my favorites.  Never met him myself, but he had a classmate at Wat Pah Nana Chat, that I used to visit who had a very small one man temple in Thailand.  They were very similar in their teaching as both were close to Ajahn Chah.