CP Group says Dhanin is a Thai national, not Chinese; threatens lawsuits

webfact

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I always thought the original Thai's were Chinese 

No, more like Akha, Khmer people in upper Thailand. They'd despise you for pointing it out though.

Siam is a relatively new political construct. It's basically what's left over from what's not Myanmar and Cambodia. It rose to power after the sacking of Cambodia.

Chakri dynasty only has ten kings and about 300 years old.

Bangkok has huge mix of Chinese blood. Huge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Most families that could do so were running away from China in 1949. For some reason this fellow and his family went to China and he graduated from a Chinese high school. All that would hint at CCP connections.

They were feted as "Patriotic overseas Chinese"

5 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Whatva stupid notion. Not only do I not use makro, true and ptt I have never used them in thirty years. Wake up.

Sorry, looks  like that must have hurt a nerve for one to be (ahem) that agitated ... ha

Go read the Wikipedia part on Thai Chinese ..
They own most of the commercial real estate in the happening areas in Thailand too (besides controlling 70- 90% of the economy).
So that means one will end up contributing to their wealth by going to a pub or restaurant  operated by true bred westerner too as these guys need  pay rent to them ...

And by the way ... all the Thai phone companies are own by them too, so you have to be using a western carrier while in Thailand .. but that's nice as it gives one a chance to be patriotic  ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

First, you sound like someone who needs to toddle on along to the next topic, if this one bothers you so much.

Second, to answer your question, I'll bet not one person posting or reading this topic woke up this morning with even a thought of CP or their patriarch in their head.  And we all would have gone right through the day completely oblivious of the question had not CP itself started to threaten law suits and magnify the topic to headline news.

It doesn't bother me one iota, and you didn't answer anything, my comment was who cares where he was born, nothing to do law suits, which by the way is standard proceedure in Thailand. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, relax33 said:

This guy had done more for the Thai economy that what most Thais could have done;  not to mention foreigners who r residing as invited "guests" in TL ...

Look what he has done to the Thai obesity problem with the shi*e he sells n his shops. 

Paying the staff 40 baht an hour is close to criminal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Dhanin's father, Chia Ek Chor, and uncle, Chia Seow Hui, left China for Bangkok in the 1920s to begin selling seeds and agricultural chemicals.

If your parents are Chinese are you not Chinese?

Not if they emigrated to Thailand, changed their nationality and you were born there.

It's like calling Al Capone Italian, which of course he wasn't. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Youre  right , I think many of them are  overpaid  too, I mean persih the  thought they could  even look at yourather than chat with their co workers when serving you, sometimes whilst  looking at their friend and chatting holding out there hand for payment etc etc.

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Youre  right , I think many of them are  overpaid  too, I mean persih the  thought they could  even look at yourather than chat with their co workers when serving you, sometimes whilst  looking at their friend and chatting holding out there hand for payment etc etc.

Must be something it your body language, doesn't happen to me.  However, I am 6'4".  How tall are you?

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

I stopped shopping at Tesco (rare anyway). Stopped all but emergency purchases at 7.

No longer buy any CP foodstuffs.

Shouldn't this quasi-protest apply all of the controlling corporate holdings? 

Part of the same club. Justifying that one might be better than the next is quite contradictory and hypocritical.

Shop local markets. 

6 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

I think there are a lot of Chinese leaning Thais with one foot in each country

When the CCP comes with its boots on the ground - I wonder then which side of the bed they will be sleeping in?

In continuous search for invented boogiemen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Shouldn't this quasi-protest apply all of the controlling corporate holdings? 

Part of the same club. Justifying that one might be better than the next is quite contradictory and hypocritical.

Shop local markets. 

With exception of possibly fruit and veg, most other things from your local mum and pop store is probably brought from Makro, Lotus or 7-11.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Artisi said:

So, you buy nothing, is that right? 

Never heard of Big C, Foodland, Tops or Max Value? Not surprised really. I'd make some crack about you not being here long but you e probably been holed up country in some backwater for decades.

38 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Dhanin's father, Chia Ek Chor, and uncle, Chia Seow Hui, left China for Bangkok in the 1920s to begin selling seeds and agricultural chemicals.

If your parents are Chinese are you not Chinese?

Not if they emigrated to Thailand, changed their nationality and you were born there.

It's like calling Al Capone Italian, which of course he wasn't. 

I think this is besides the point, what is wrong is for folks to be racist n discriminate against others based on ancestry, heritage, race etc  ...
There should be ZERO tolerance for this ..

It is also totally unbecoming and lacking in basic manners and physical upbringing for folks residing in a country as invited "guests" to make racist n discriminating remarks against the heritage of its locals ...
They should be respectful and act like what any guest invited to a person's home should do ... and should always remember that the Door is always Opened .
They can leave if they want and will not be missed ... 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, relax33 said:
3 hours ago, Excel said:

Ok let us in to the secret. How much were you paid to write that ?

Wow,  doubt anyone will employ a noob like me for such tasks 
Am just stating the obvious to give a more truthful reflection of things ..
Guess sometimes we need to learn to appreciate life more, its just so easy to criticize but so hard to achieve things ...

Agree. At least he's not frittering away his billions on some vainglorious 'Now everyone can be an astronaut' farce like some of his peers of a paler complexion.

5 minutes ago, relax33 said:

There should be ZERO tolerance for this ..

I think the opposite so BOO. Everyone should be allowed to say whatever they want as long as it's not libelous or slanderous.

Let everyone love it hate as they see fit.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, relax33 said:

Sorry, looks  like that must have hurt a nerve for one to be (ahem) that agitated ... ha

Go read the Wikipedia part on Thai Chinese ..
They own most of the commercial real estate in the happening areas in Thailand too (besides controlling 70- 90% of the economy).
So that means one will end up contributing to their wealth by going to a pub or restaurant  operated by true bred westerner too as these guys need  pay rent to them ...

And by the way ... all the Thai phone companies are own by them too, so you have to be using a western carrier while in Thailand .. but that's nice as it gives one a chance to be patriotic  ...

Sigh

No, not the least bit agitated. Thanks for the quasi economics and history lesson. Having lived in Asia 30 years never would have known.

I was on DTAC for decades, now AIS. I do understand that True probably owns the pipe running into Thailand but one can only do so much. It's a pretty decent monopoly boycott for a farang effort.

Lotus's lol. Billionaires can't even get the grammar correct.

59 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Look what he has done to the Thai obesity problem with the shi*e he sells n his shops. 

I totally agree with you .
Many big businesses are too profit oriented and miserly at times ..
The same thing occurs with companies like Amazon where Bezos was so stingy that he made employees pay for their own parking at the company premise ..

But read the thread from the outset and you can see this poor guy is being attacked solely because of his heritage .
No Thai citizen deserves such treatment, especially at the hands of foreigners residing as "guests" who are clearly not living up to the role bestowed upon them  ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

No, not the least bit agitated. Thanks for the quasi economics and history lesson. Having lived in Asia 30 years never would have known.

no lesson man, I am just a noob ..
Sorry for toying on the topic, peace and have a nice weekend ...

18 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
22 minutes ago, relax33 said:

They should be respectful

Respect is earned not given

Sure, the local Thais (especially those  who are successful ) have earned it through their hard work ..
Now its time for others to start respecting and not discriminate them ..

As in any western society, its a case of "put up, shut up or leave  and you will not be missed "  ..
Why should Thailand be any different ...  you mean they have not earned this right !!!

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Now, this is interesting.   According to Wiki: "Dhanin attended primary school at Sarasit Pittayalai School in Ban Pong District, Ratchaburi, until graduating in 1949 and went to graduate from high school in 1951 from Shantou No.1 High School, China."  So it seems he moved to China after Mao took over in 1949. Fascinating career move. I'm not sure what it says about his political leanings today.

What you failed to note is that he went on to University in Hong Kong, then a British colony.

3 minutes ago, relax33 said:

Sure, the local Thais (especially those  who are successful ) have earned it through their hard work ..
Now its time for others to start respecting and not discriminate them ..

As in any western society, its a case of "put up, shut up or leave  and you will not be missed "  ..
Why should Thailand be any different ...  you mean they have not earned this right !!!

But I have no direct experience of their effort so why would I respect them from a distance?

Now if he had bought me a pint.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 2