CP Group says Dhanin is a Thai national, not Chinese; threatens lawsuits

webfact

Whatever his nationality status, he clearly enjoys a good relationship with the Chinese government, first speaker at overseas Chinese conference, seem cosy with Xi his company in China has registry is no. 1, as in the first day they start going capitalist, he's there to register his business

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Youre  right , I think many of them are  overpaid  too, I mean persih the  thought they could  even look at yourather than chat with their co workers when serving you, sometimes whilst  looking at their friend and chatting holding out there hand for payment etc etc.

Must be you, I never have a problem with staff, I guess being polite and showing some empathy works wonders as I'm no longer a hot sexy farang guy to be fluttering their eyes at ????

Edited by Artisi

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Dhanin's father, Chia Ek Chor, and uncle, Chia Seow Hui, left China for Bangkok in the 1920s to begin selling seeds and agricultural chemicals.

If your parents are Chinese are you not Chinese?

In what way would they be Chinese?

Because they might be eligible to become Chinese citizens if they so choose?

If they grow up bilingual are they Chinese?

If they don't grow up speaking Chinese are they Chinese?

Or is this some inherited characteristic you are referring to?

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And not just that. He bought out Tesco Lotus. Combine that with his ownership of the Central Group and well, what could be better than a monopoly situation in Thailand? And I'm sure the govt. agency that decided this was a good thing was arrived at fairly and rationally.

You are right, that is the benefit of having the "old boys network "..
What actually brought me to comment on this topic was the blatant racist abuse being laid on this guy based on his heritage ..

I would do the same if the above occurs to any Thai , regardless of their wealth, position, race or upbringing ....

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I think the opposite so BOO. Everyone should be allowed to say whatever they want as long as it's not libelous or slanderous.

Let everyone love it hate as they see fit.

You are right but not sure any one will dare act like racists to belittle the immigration officers when it comes to visa renewal time .....
So what's the wisdom of acting so abnormally should it be deemed right to do so ... 
But guess this is one of those things that noobs like me will never figure out ...ha

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well it's one thing to defend him on those grounds, but to defend him on the ground that his business career is an unalloyed good thing for Thailand is quite another. Thailand has one of the highest, if not the highest levels of  income inequality in Asia.  Monopolists like Dhanin aren't helping.

precisely, mate ...

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

They why did you present his  career as being such a good thing for Thailand?

I am not an expert on him but can clearly see that his achievements had helped to bring employment for many  and I'm sure there will be people who support and are against him with each having their own merits ..
Anyone have the right to dislike him but you cannot take away his achievements and contribution to the economy ...

Edited by relax33

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Agree. At least he's not frittering away his billions on some vainglorious 'Now everyone can be an astronaut' farce like some of his peers of a paler complexion.

That's true but also unlike those he is not denoting billions to charities either.

59 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And not just that. He bought out Tesco Lotus. Combine that with his ownership of the Central Group and well, what could be better than a monopoly situation in Thailand? And I'm sure the govt. agency that decided this was a good thing was arrived at fairly and rationally.

Following the arrival of the oversized lunch boxes..... 

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

Sigh

No, not the least bit agitated. Thanks for the quasi economics and history lesson. Having lived in Asia 30 years never would have known.

I was on DTAC for decades, now AIS. I do understand that True probably owns the pipe running into Thailand but one can only do so much. It's a pretty decent monopoly boycott for a farang effort.

Lotus's lol. Billionaires can't even get the grammar correct.

Sound better than "Tescos's Lotus's"

3 hours ago, relax33 said:

Thai Chinese ..
They own most of the commercial real estate in the happening areas in Thailand too (besides controlling 70- 90% of the economy).

It seems this fact is a surprise for many here. The Chinese had been always the ones who worked hard when coming to Siam some 150 years ago, the Thais holding positions. 

Nowadays, the kins of the ethnic Chinese consider themselves as Thai, however, following the Chinese religious custom, keeping good business connections with other Thai Chinese businessmen, marriages, similarly as the Jews around the world.

And of course some of them send their kids to Chinese schools (in China), similarly as the Thai Indians to Indian schools (in India). 

Not so long ago, one former Thai PM was born in China (not officially proven), strong in business, his family members also strong in business, all keeping good govt positions.  

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a rat's bottom. Does it really matter if he is a Chinese national or Thai national, as long as the company he runs makes money?

You're right, his ethnicity makes no difference. But if you're buying stuff in Thailand, the fact one company dominates sales to such an extent, means that prices are higher than they ought to be were the business environment more competitive. And for people who live here, that means more money is coming out of their pockets than would otherwise be the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

I think this is besides the point, what is wrong is for folks to be racist n discriminate against others based on ancestry, heritage, race etc  ...
There should be ZERO tolerance for this ..

It is also totally unbecoming and lacking in basic manners and physical upbringing for folks residing in a country as invited "guests" to make racist n discriminating remarks against the heritage of its locals ...
They should be respectful and act like what any guest invited to a person's home should do ... and should always remember that the Door is always Opened .
They can leave if they want and will not be missed ... 

Which bit is racist pray?

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

I think this is besides the point, what is wrong is for folks to be racist n discriminate against others based on ancestry, heritage, race etc  ...
There should be ZERO tolerance for this ..

It is also totally unbecoming and lacking in basic manners and physical upbringing for folks residing in a country as invited "guests" to make racist n discriminating remarks against the heritage of its locals ...
They should be respectful and act like what any guest invited to a person's home should do ... and should always remember that the Door is always Opened .
They can leave if they want and will not be missed ... 

So you would swear down that our 6'3" Scotsman (no names) is a 100% fully paid up Thai and not Scottish?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I believe Dhanin is CP Group and Central Group is a different company, albeit very similar backgrounds.  Central is the Chirativat family.  Big in hotels and owners of Family Mart.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, greeneking said:

Central is the Chirativat family.

Indeed. Central was a bit miffed at not being able to take control of Lotus's's's's or whatever when it was up for grabs, when Tesco pulled out. Seeing as how CP already has 7-11, Makro, True, etc. They took this to the anti-monopoly office or whatever. There was some investigation I remember. And as you might expect, it went nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

Not so long ago, one former Thai PM was born in China (not officially proven), strong in business, his family members also strong in business, all keeping good govt positions.  

Thai Chinese - Wikipedia

Here's a very detailed dossier on the Thai Chinese, including their ties with the ruling class n a list of Thai PMs of Chinese descent ..

5 hours ago, relax33 said:

Sorry, looks  like that must have hurt a nerve for one to be (ahem) that agitated ... ha

Go read the Wikipedia part on Thai Chinese ..
They own most of the commercial real estate in the happening areas in Thailand too (besides controlling 70- 90% of the economy).
So that means one will end up contributing to their wealth by going to a pub or restaurant  operated by true bred westerner too as these guys need  pay rent to them ...

And by the way ... all the Thai phone companies are own by them too, so you have to be using a western carrier while in Thailand .. but that's nice as it gives one a chance to be patriotic  ...

Over egging the pudding?

Tell us which Thai-Chinese own DTAC.

Whilst you are at it, do the same for AIS. 

• Like 1