Visa Requirements and Process for 3-6 month stay

I'm in the position that my Thai wife and I want to visit Thailand for a period of 3-6 months from February 2022.

I'm not sure whether to EITHER enter without any visa and sort something out at Immigration in Bangkok OR apply for a 60 day single entry tourist visa then extend it, at about 90 days leave at a border and immediately re-enter on a new tourist visa (still allowed?) OR apply for a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa and refresh it at border points such as Aranyaprathet or Pedang Besar (also don't know if this is still allowed) OR enter on a 90 day single entry non-immigrant visa OR select another method.

I have >THB 800k in Thai bank accounts in my name although the bank books have not been updated since January 2018. I could probably get the Thai banks to email statements but not sure if this would be acceptable. Sufficient funds also in UK bank accounts, have Thai house papers and a Thai marriage certificate. 

Also not sure about health/covid insurance. Is this a requirement and does anyone have details of a Thai insurance company providing this? Is it required with the application or is the insurance certificate shown at immigration upon arrival? We have both been double vaccinated.

On the question of flights, do these need to be booked before or after the application and is a return booking needed or can it be an open return?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I cannot find definitive answers online. Answers to one or more questions would be much appreciated. Thank you!

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that allows one 90 day entry.

And then a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 400k baht in Thai bank in your name only or a extension based upon retirement with 800k baht in the bank. The funds would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

At this time all border crossings are closed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai that allows one 90 day entry.

And then a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 400k baht in Thai bank in your name only or a extension based upon retirement with 800k baht in the bank. The funds would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

At this time all border crossings are closed.

Thank you. It seems any of the tourist visas would not suit if the borders are closed.

So in the first case that would be 90 days + 60 day extension (=150 days total)?

In the second case you are saying 90 days then extend at Immigration upon showing bank books.

What is the financial requirement to get the initial 90 days because my bank books have not been updated for almost three years, having not been to Thailand due to the lockdown. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pasak said:

So in the first case that would be 90 days + 60 day extension (=150 days total)?

Yes

6 minutes ago, pasak said:

In the second case you are saying 90 days then extend at Immigration upon showing bank books.

You could also apply for the one year extension after applying for the 60 day extension it you decided you wanted to stay longer. You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 or 60 days.

8 minutes ago, pasak said:

What is the financial requirement to get the initial 90 days because my bank books have not been updated for almost three years, having not been to Thailand due to the lockdown. 

You only need to show the equivalent of 20k baht in any bank (UK bank will be accepted).

You would apply online for the visa and a email will be sent to you with your stickerless visa included on it. No need for a trip to the embassy. Site is here. https://thaievisa.go.th/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You could also apply for the one year extension after applying for the 60 day extension it you decided you wanted to stay longer. You can apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 or 60 days.

You only need to show the equivalent of 20k baht in any bank (UK bank will be accepted).

You would apply online for the visa and a email will be sent to you with your stickerless visa included on it. No need for a trip to the embassy. Site is here. https://thaievisa.go.th/

This is very helpful and thank you for the website. 

In the meantime there are a couple of things I'm still not clear about. When do I buy the air ticket? Now or after I have made the application? What about the ticket's validity?

Also there is the question of health insurance?

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need the ticket to here when you apply for the visa. No need for a return or onward ticket.

The ticket only needs to valid for the day you apply or enter the country.

No need for any insurance to apply for the visa based upon marriage.

At this time you would need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance to get a certificate of entry. Not sure what will be needed in February.

Thank you ????

On 10/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Hi ubonjoe, since this topic of stay based on marriage is being discussed, I was hoping you'd know some answers: I currently have a visa-exempt entry which was extended via Covid extension until January 15th. I am marrying my fiancee and already got the affadavit of freedom to marry from the U.S. consulate, as well as the required balance in a Thai bank. She wants to register the marriage in Chonburi (so her family there can serve as witness).

(1) I assume that it makes no difference where we register the marriage, and we still will be able to get the initial 90 day non-o visa from the Chaeng Wattana immigration building in Bangkok, regardless of the marriage being registered in Chonburi.

Furthermore, (2) I am assuming that the fact that my current entry is valid until almost three months from now won't prevent us from getting the non-o any time we want (i.e. they won't tell us that we have to wait until within 15 days or 30 days of January 15th),

and (3) I am assuming that if I hypothetically got the 90 day non-o based on marriage earlier than necessary on November 1st, my new expiration for stay in Thailand would not be January 30th, but instead would be April 15th (i.e. the 90 day extension would start after the current expiry date of January 15th, not the date of applying on November 1st).

Do you know if all three of my assumptions are correct?

41 minutes ago, wml22 said:

Hi ubonjoe, since this topic of stay based on marriage is being discussed, I was hoping you'd know some answers: I currently have a visa-exempt entry which was extended via Covid extension until January 15th. I am marrying my fiancee and already got the affadavit of freedom to marry from the U.S. consulate, as well as the required balance in a Thai bank.

I assume you have also gotten the affidavit translated to Thai and certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

Some Amphoes want your passport to be certified by the embassy and translated to Thai to register your marriage. Best to have your fiancée to check with the one in Chonburi about their requirements.

41 minutes ago, wml22 said:

Do you know if all three of my assumptions are correct?

1. Yes  2. You can do the non-o visa application at any time up to the last 15 days of your current extension.

3. The 90 day permit to stay  from the non-o visa will start from the day you apply for it after it is approved. The 15 days early requirement to to allow time for it to be approved within those 15 days.

• Like 1

I'd like to add on to your thread, if you don't mind... 

I'm planning on visiting Thailand in December and also planning to stay for 3 to 6 months (the longer the better) as a tourist. What would be my best bet? STV? I guess border runs would still not be possible. Any advice would be appreciated