Over 2,000 Taxis Have Anti-COVID Partitions

snoop1130

S__12673035-1-1536x1024.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 15 (TNA) – The Land Transport Department said more than 2,000 taxis were equipped with partitions to contain COVID-19 as the government will increasingly reopen the country on Nov 1.

Chirute Visalachitra, director-general of the department, said the department and SCG Chemicals Co. were installing free partitions on taxis to protect drivers and passengers from droplets.

Since the installation project started on Sept 16, 2,192 taxis have been equipped with the safety partitions.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-804015

tnalogo.jpg

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chirute Visalachitra, director-general of the department, said the department and SCG Chemicals Co. were installing free partitions on taxis to protect drivers and passengers from droplets.

And how about aerosols? This is an exercise in futility.

Lack of ventilation and cooling in the passenger compartment, will soon see these free acrylic panels removed. Drivers won't like that passengers cannot pass cash to the driver internally and have the opportunity to flee when a door is unlocked.......????

• Sad 1

Great! But how, sitting in the back, can I now...

1. check that the driver turns on the meter when my ride starts,

2. check that the meter is not 'running faster' as it might have been manipulated,

3. describe to the driver 'which way to go' to my destination (as a good number of drivers know how to get to the 'Airport', but are 'lost' when it comes to other places in town)? 

• Confused 1

Since the installation project started on Sept 16, 2,192 taxis have been equipped with the safety partitions

Woooo. ????

A very quick Google search throws up that there are more than 150000 taxi's in Bangkok.

If we optimistically round that down to 150,000 (rather than 'more than'), that only leaves 147,808 to go.

when you consider that Covid was not taken as 'important' in Thailand last year, that means that these 2,192 taxis were probably converted within this year.

At the rapid rate of speed, all remaining Bangkok taxis will be converted by around March 2074, providing no new taxis are added to the roads.

After they have finished converting all of the Bangkok cabs, will they be extending the program upcountry? 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Lack of ventilation and cooling in the passenger compartment, will soon see these free acrylic panels removed. Drivers won't like that passengers cannot pass cash to the driver internally and have the opportunity to flee when a door is unlocked.......????

Really, have you seen one?   You seriously think that the rear of the taxi is sealed?   Jesus...    They're not mandatory so why should drivers who opt for one want to have it removed?

"...and have the opportunity to flee when a door is unlocked.."

Passengers who want to do a runner can do that now, it won't take the new optional partitions to enable them to skedaddle.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Great! But how, sitting in the back, can I now...

1. check that the driver turns on the meter when my ride starts,

2. check that the meter is not 'running faster' as it might have been manipulated,

3. describe to the driver 'which way to go' to my destination (as a good number of drivers know how to get to the 'Airport', but are 'lost' when it comes to other places in town)? 

How would a transparent screen stop you from doing any of those things?

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Since the installation project started on Sept 16, 2,192 taxis have been equipped with the safety partitions

Woooo. ????

A very quick Google search throws up that there are more than 150000 taxi's in Bangkok.

If we optimistically round that down to 150,000 (rather than 'more than'), that only leaves 147,808 to go.

when you consider that Covid was not taken as 'important' in Thailand last year, that means that these 2,192 taxis were probably converted within this year.

At the rapid rate of speed, all remaining Bangkok taxis will be converted by around March 2074, providing no new taxis are added to the roads.

After they have finished converting all of the Bangkok cabs, will they be extending the program upcountry? 

Obviously, they were fitted this this year as the article clearly states that the project started on September 16th...this year!

"At the rapid rate of speed, all remaining Bangkok taxis will be converted by around March 2074, providing no new taxis are added to the roads.  After they have finished converting all of the Bangkok cabs, will they be extending the program upcountry?" 

None of that matters as the screens are not mandatory, they're being offered free of charge to any drivers who want them.

7 hours ago, alien365 said:

If a driver wants to 'feel' safer while doing his job then I don't understand the negativity.

In several conversations with taxi drivers, they have complained about drunk passengers forgetting/refusing to wear their mask inside the taxi. I can definitely sympathize.

• Like 1