Where to live in Phuket.

spencerh1982

24 minutes ago, nkg said:

So how many years have you lived in Phuket to make that judgement?

I'll let everybody reading into a secret. The majority of people who trash Phuket in every thread live in Pattaya.

I'm sure in everyone's hometown, there are nice areas and bad areas. The houses in the nice areas are more expensive, but people are willing to pay more so that they don't have to meet the people living in the bad areas.

That was not what I posted about. I posted about that Phuket looks like everywhere in the western world, with the addition of palm trees and coconuts. FYI, I do not live in Pattaya, as you just pretended to know. Now you can continue to defend you over developed little part of Thailand, and I will get back to my quiet and nice life in the rural areas. You know, where you meet the genuine part of the country you choose to move to. A place where they do not look at you as a money making machine and try to take advantage of your every step.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, nkg said:

So you haven't lived in Phuket at all. Thanks for confirming what I thought. You're sounding off about a subject about which you have little or no first hand knowledge.

If you'd spent any time in Thalang, Chalong or Phuket Town, you would understand that many parts of Phuket have little or nothing to do with tourism. I bet you don't even know where Thalang is.

I do not know what kind of problem you have understanding. I have visited the island enough many times to collect information and form an opinion. Why would I live somewhere I do not like or see fit? Assumptions again. Yes, I do know that Thalang is in the north of Phuket. However, again you are totally irrelevant with you ongoing assumptions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I've lived NEAR Phuket, not on the island, for 11 years.  It is a place I visit for shopping (except for when there are lockdowns and we Phang Nga folk are not allowed across the bridge) and for taking visitors around to see the sights when they want to go, but I chose not to live there myself and do not regret that decision.  The area around Khok Kloi is very pleasant, there is an excellent international school for when your child needs an education and the beaches are not far away - I am 2km from Natai beach.  However, night life is lacking compared to Phuket if that is what you want (I don't).

Edited by pollyog
  • Like 2

It depends what your budget is and what you are looking for in a neighborhood. The Pahklok tambol is in the quieter east side of the island towards the northern end. For us it has everything we are looking for although it is fairly quiet in a rural kind of way. You are close to international schools, shopping in Thalang, beaches 10 -15 minutes drive (Naithon / Naiyang), not far from the airport and the main road to Sarasin and Phang Nga ( 20 minutes drive). With tree covered hills as a backdrop, this area seems to be becoming increasingly attractive to expats. 

• Like 2

I live half the year (well used to before covid) on the east side of Phuket. 

It's more 'Thai' and quiet...with lots of nice countryside and views. 

There are.small local markets for locals that we love to use, and the people are nice. Also some french bakeries which sell delicious cakes!  Transport is good too to get to the shopping centre.

So... I would say look at East side of the island if you want a more authentic 'semi rural' lifestyle away from mass tourists. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WingFat said:

I lived in Phuket for a few years and I liked Karon and Kata. Even during high season the beaches there were not very crowded and the vibe in those places were much more low key than raucous and crowded Patong.

Also, as many here have already stated, Rawai is also very nice.

Karon and Kata beaches are literally cesspools. You can see and smell the bubbling human waste intestinal mucus at low tide in Kata.  Kata Noi is slightly better but still too close to Yai. Naiharn is protected by the wat so probably the best, definitely the only water I would get in other then beaches near the airport but no one lives up there.  If you are a traffic jam enthusiast I highly recommend it.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, nkg said:

So how many years have you lived in Phuket to make that judgement?

I'll let everybody reading into a secret. The majority of people who trash Phuket in every thread live in Pattaya.

I'm sure in everyone's hometown, there are nice areas and bad areas. The houses in the nice areas are more expensive, but people are willing to pay more so that they don't have to meet the people living in the bad areas.

Although I don't like Phuket I do know there are many beautiful areas and currently there are rental bargains to be had.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

1. You clearly don't know Phuket very well, despite you claiming otherwise.

2. What makes you decide that your rural part of Thailand is the real Thailand?

1. Yes, I do know Phuket well enough. That´s why I can form an opinion. (Actually though everyone know that is a necessity to form an opinion)

2. I do not decide anything. Please point me to the place I decided what you proclaim. What I did post was that it is more genuine than Phuket, but that is to be seen as an opinion and not a decision. (Same here, I was foolish enough to think people would understand that without further explanation. Guess I was wrong.)

I lived in Kamala for the last 10 years. I think it's the best place to live. There is an expat community and schools. Plenty of places to choose from. Patong and Surin Beach are 10 minutes away. Fun place to live

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinot said:

I lived in Kamala for the last 10 years. I think it's the best place to live. There is an expat community and schools. Plenty of places to choose from. Patong and Surin Beach are 10 minutes away. Fun place to live

Kamala is a decent choice. There's a large local community that doesn't depend on tourism to survive, but there's also a nice beach and plenty of tourists and expats in normal times. From what I have read, the businesses in Kamala have weathered covid much better than some of Phuket's other towns (thanks to the large local community).

9 minutes ago, nkg said:

Kamala is a decent choice. There's a large local community that doesn't depend on tourism to survive, but there's also a nice beach and plenty of tourists and expats in normal times. From what I have read, the businesses in Kamala have weathered covid much better than some of Phuket's other towns (thanks to the large local community).

If one considers Farang Ghettos to be a decent choice....

Some don't.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, nkg said:

It's great that you've learned how to use Google ????

You assume something, then get an answer. After that the answer does not add up to your assumption, and then you must post something annoying and irrelevant. Seriously, you need to get a life.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

If one considers Farang Ghettos to be a decent choice....

Some don't.

Erm, Kamala isn't a "farang ghetto". It's at least 95% Thai. How many years have you spent in Kamala to form your judgement, out of interest? Have you even been there for a single day?

Edited by nkg
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, nkg said:

Erm, Kamala isn't a "farang ghetto". It's at least 95% Thai. How many years have you spent in Kamala to form your judgement, out of interest? Have you even been there for a single day?

What is it with you? Every comment somebody make, that does not fit your little perfect picture of Phuket. Then nobody know nothing, never been there have no clue about areas in Phuket and the surroundings. Thank you for the grace of being with us on this forum. We couldn´t have asked for a more competent and well adjusted Phuket expert.

Now it is like this! If we call a place in Thailand a farang ghetto, that simply means it´s favorite place for foreigners to visit, move to and live in Thailand. I am pretty sure you do understand that if you stop and think before you post. After that it is, as a fact, one of the most foreign populated areas/districts in Thailand based on amount of area as well as percentage of population.

Wonder what the answer from out esteemed Professor Phuket, is going to be this time.

Edited by Gottfrid

I lived in Phuket for about 12 years.. finally 'forced' off the island by physical threats from drug dealers, aided and abetted by the local police in Thalang. During my stay on the island building and running small hotels, 2 of my Thai staff were killed (shot).

Of course, perhaps I was just unlucky, but there is a high level of crime and drug-taking amongst the younger population (I worked for these 12 years as a Thai-speaking Tourist Police Officer, so became aware of what was going on).  But hey - crime and corruption exists all over Thailand - and of course in other countries.

My take on some of the locations to live:

Chalong/Rawaii - do you like traffic jams to get into town?

Kamala - do you like a huge dusty main street and the Muslim call to prayer?

Kata - Mmm, smell that sewage!

Patong - Watch for potholes!

Thalang - a large area, and probably the nicest part of the island for a quieter life, (unless you live in east Thalang - Muslim call to prayer again).

My negative comments don't mean that I hate the island.  I'm trying to be realistic and honest as to how Phuket has changed since the early noughties.  Really, nowhere has changed for the better ????

• Thanks 1