Where to live in Phuket.

spencerh1982

16 minutes ago, nkg said:

The person who started the thread was asking for advice about Phuket. Why would he be interested in the opinions of people who have never even been there, let alone lived there?

I respect the opinions of people who have lived in Phuket, even if they are negative. Other people's opinions ... not so much.

Up to you. As frequent visitor before covid-19, I have been there enough times to form an opinion based on what I see and experience. What you accept or respect, is totally irrelevant to this thread.

I assume the person that started this thread wanted opinions from both sides. I gave mine, but you seem to have more problems with the opinions other posters give. Better heed your own hidden advice in the post above. Give your opinions to the OP.

Also, why do you keep repeating that people never been there, just because they do not share your opinion? What do you know about that?

We can sum it up by saying like this: The whole population of Phuket is about 500 000 people. In total there lives about 30 000 foreigners on the island. That gives a 6 % foreign population. Kamala is one of the most foreign populates areas in Phuket. So, there´s goes your at least 95 % percentage of Thai population out the window.

After that we see it as a whole: In Thailand the population is about 70 million people. There lives approx. 400 000 foreigners in Thailand. That gives a 0,57 % foreign population in Thailand.

The only thing you can compare with, to get an advantage in your discussion is Pattaya. A place that holds about 8 % foreign population, if you only consider the resident population. As for Pattaya it is different as it is unique in the meaning of unregistered people in the city.

So, before Covid-19, the amount of Thais in the city was about the double of the population. Something that results in a reality of only about 4-5 % foreign density.

Edited by Gottfrid

There are many nice places to live in Thailand only you can decide which suits you best, personally I have always preferred the south, I have traveled a lot from the north to the south, I ended up in Nai Harn beach here in Phuket it suits me and my wife I will admit it did take a while to settle in to this island lifestyle.

• Thanks 1

i spent nine months of 07 and 08 in phuket (i skipped peak rainy season aug/sept/oct).  i lived i patong, i was single, i had fun.  for a couple, staying approx four months, i'd suggest kata.  you'll have some decent restaurants there plus two beaches, kata and kata noi.  and can journey to nai hairn fairly quickly.  i thought nai hairn was the best beach in phuket.  i grew up on the beach and was always fond of the cove style beaches, not the long stretches.  back then, nai hairn seemed a little isolated.  maybe there is more around there now.  i didn't like having to ride a moto or take tuk tuks to get places.  preferred being able to walk most places.  i think you can do that in kata.  in patong, i found a generally reliable driver that used to take me outside patong a few times a week (golf courses, beaches, etc..).

• Like 1

Quite a few comments here from people who either visited years ago (07/08?)  and/or made/make occasional visits.

The actual situation here is Kata/Karon are almost derelict ghost towns with others near the airport similar.  Patong is recovering but IMHO not suitable for the OP's situation. Kamala has a relatively safe beach particularly in high season when the monsoon fades. is easy to get around and multiple eating options. Rawaii, I understand is similar with ref to places open but beach not as good as Kamala and not easy to get around. Several establishments open in Laguna and Bangtao. But for ease of getting around I'd go for Kamala. Ref the poster who mentioned poor roads and potholes. Yes there are a few places with potholes but most of Phuket (including beach road Patong and almost all the way from Patong to the airport have had road resurfacing recently. that includes the main road that goes thru Kamala.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

1. Yes, I do know Phuket well enough. That´s why I can form an opinion. (Actually though everyone know that is a necessity to form an opinion)

2. I do not decide anything. Please point me to the place I decided what you proclaim. What I did post was that it is more genuine than Phuket, but that is to be seen as an opinion and not a decision. (Same here, I was foolish enough to think people would understand that without further explanation. Guess I was wrong.)

I was going to go on about your pointless, off topic drivel but I think I will just put you on ignore.  

• Like 1

Matching OP preferences, would recommend south west or south coast hillsides, away from the towns, with seaview and nice beaches. Lower Kata Hill on Rawai border, opposite Big Buddha for example.Cant understand recommendations for muslim townships. Nor the Pattaya - dwelling trolls who dismiss superior Phuket.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Cant understand recommendations for muslim townships. 

Not sure I understand what you mean here - where are you referring to specifically and why can you not understand the recommendations?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

I was going to go on about your pointless, off topic drivel but I think I will just put you on ignore.  

And anyway you managed to make a pointless post. Great job!

Why would go on about that. I wouldn´t have done if Professor Phuket just been leaving an opinion like I did from start. Better post your opinion instead.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

And anyway you managed to make a pointless post. Great job!

Why would go on about that. I wouldn´t have done if Professor Phuket just been leaving an opinion like I did from start. Better post your opinion instead.

Apparently, you think that anybody with any real knowledge on a subject is a "Professor". Perhaps Gottfrid is a "Professor of Emptying Bins" or a "Professor of Cleaning Toilets". ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nkg said:

Apparently, you think that anybody with any real knowledge on a subject is a "Professor". Perhaps Gottfrid is a "Professor of Emptying Bins" or a "Professor of Cleaning Toilets". ????

Please, feel free to go on with your childish behavior. It seems like only you have knowledge of Phuket. Everybody else that have a different opinion has not been there, right? That´s what you post all the time as soon as somebody have a negative opinion of Phuket.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:42 AM, nkg said:

So how many years have you lived in Phuket to make that judgement?

I'll let everybody reading into a secret. The majority of people who trash Phuket in every thread live in Pattaya.

I'm sure in everyone's hometown, there are nice areas and bad areas. The houses in the nice areas are more expensive, but people are willing to pay more so that they don't have to meet the people living in the bad areas.

Wrong. I and many friends have lived all over Thailand including Phuket and Pattaya. None of us live in Pattaya but the general opinion is that Phuket is a bad place run by bad guys where you're more likely to get really ripped off.

• Confused 1

Has noone else lived in Samkong? I spent my first year in Phuket there, before moving to another location. It's a perfect little piece middle-class Thai suburbia. Affordable housing, it's own entertainment district around Boat Plaza with a lovely lagoon that includes 4-5 bars, including traditional Thai and also Western-style themed. 

Go west to Bypass road for easy access to Airport and Patong, 5 minutes from the HUGE Tesco store at the main Crossroads for shopping, minutes from one of the 2 major bus terminals in Phuket at the end of Pratchasamakhi road (and maybe a kilometre or so further north up Thepkrasatri Road. 10 minutes from the heart of Phuket Town.
Super-chilled friendly Thai community. Ubiquitous 7/11s and street markets and food all self-enclosed within a low traffic environment. I loved it, but the call of the beach encouraged me to move to the perimeter of the island :P

Even though it did not have a beach of its own per se, I was able to go to any beach or any other place on the island in any direction in about 30 minutes or so, it was the perfect location for exploring Phuket for the first year, and thereby assist in deciding where to move next if one so desired.