Pattaya vegetarian food/restaurants.

grain

I haven't been to Pattaya for about 3 years but planning a trip there next month. Are there any vegetarian BMs who can tell me which vegi restaurants are currently operating. I'm not interested in the Indian vegis, just the Thai/Chinese places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Not a BM but do know that most Thai and Chinese restaurants can make many vegetarian dishes if just asked to do so.  And so why do you specifically need a "vegetarian restaurant"?

There were several good vegetarian restaurants in Pattaya when I lived there, I'm just trying to find out which ones are still going, so I don't need to waste time driving/walking around looking for them. Vegetarians prefer to eat in proper vegetarian restaurants, but if none are around then yes we can ask for meatless meals in regular restaurants.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many regular restaurants have closed due to Covid/lack of customers, I'd think a specialized place such a vegan restaurant would be especially affected.  Good luck on finding a proper one still open.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grain said:

There were several good vegetarian restaurants in Pattaya when I lived there, I'm just trying to find out which ones are still going, so I don't need to waste time driving/walking around looking for them.

If you already know some, I suggest you just telephone them and find out.

It worked to me in Phuket when doing sandbox and looking for good restaurants still open. 

• Like 1

This can be quite challenging. I'm vegetarian and have had some very unappetizing experiences in the past. Ordered stir fried veggies and it came with small chunks of pork in it. When i re-ordered withOUT meat, they simply removed the meat from the first order and served it again. I know because they forgot to remove a piece of that pork. 

In Phnom Penh, I had a similar experience. Their concept of vegetarianism is, yes, food without visible meat or meat which can be seen. So much to my disgust, I was served soup with pork stock or fried rice with little bits of beef in it (they most likely prepared it for several guests and fished out the meat for my order). Grrrrrrr 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Indian vegetarian food is the best especially South Indian. Perhaps the OP should go to McDonald's for a veggie burger

I don't mind Indian vegetarian from time to time but find it too spicy to eat 2 or 3 times a day, hence my preference for Thai/Chinese, and the "best" is purely subjective. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davemax49 said:

I often order from this place, have many vegetarian dishes.  Very delicious and not that too expensive.

https://easyhealth.asia/

Based in Pattaya

Thanks very much. Since starting this thread I've done some online research and found a few vegi restaurants but didn't know about this place. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mvdf said:

This can be quite challenging. I'm vegetarian and have had some very unappetizing experiences in the past. Ordered stir fried veggies and it came with small chunks of pork in it. When i re-ordered withOUT meat, they simply removed the meat from the first order and served it again. I know because they forgot to remove a piece of that pork. 

In Phnom Penh, I had a similar experience. Their concept of vegetarianism is, yes, food without visible meat or meat which can be seen. So much to my disgust, I was served soup with pork stock or fried rice with little bits of beef in it (they most likely prepared it for several guests and fished out the meat for my order). Grrrrrrr 

Yes, exactly, and the reason why I far prefer to eat in "proper" vegetarian restaurants and not just regular places that will do meatless dishes. Also I hate garlic in my food and that's another great thing about the Thai/Chinese vegetarian food that isn't cooked with garlic.

48 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Get the Happy Cow app. It's a must have for veg/vegans. Here's a list of those I know are open.

1. Yes! Vegan (lovely little place. Excellent fine dining but a bit pricey)

2. Tien Sin Vegetarian Food. Lunch Only. (excellent and cheap) Shows as T&I on Google Maps

3. 5 Star J (pretty good, expensive. However farang owner is a piece of sh...work. Many people stopped going because of him. I haven't gone in 7 or 8 years. Prior to him taking over, was there daily for lunch)

There was a great veg stall in Pier 21 Food Court at Terminal 21. Excellent and laughably cheap, but sadly it was out of business about a month ago. Well after the Mall and Food Court reopening. Hopefully they've reopened since. 

Many thanks for your reply, as I mentioned above I've done a bit of research and have noted Yes Vegan. And T&I, there's also Thammachart, which I know well. I agree entirely with you about 5 Star J and the dic*head owner. I also ate there daily until it changed hands. I'm not keen on their faux farang style food anyway, far prefer the Thai/Chinese style. I do have the Happy Cow app but it's not always up to date.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grain said:

Yes, exactly, and the reason why I far prefer to eat in "proper" vegetarian restaurants and not just regular places that will do meatless dishes. Also I hate garlic in my food and that's another great thing about the Thai/Chinese vegetarian food that isn't cooked with garlic.

Are you my long lost twin? I ask because not only am I vegetarian but i too despise garlic. I actually have screen shots of "no garlic please" in various languages saved on my phone's photos app. Raw garlic is especially a no no for me, regardless of broken radio reminders about how healthy it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

“Sizzler” Salad Bar is high quality / unlimited / unbeatable at 140 baht mon- fri & 200 baht Sat-Sun.

stuff myself there three times weekly since switching to plant- based diet for best health during covid.

Been a while since I've had a pig-out at Sizzler salad bar but I remember the great variety and great value for money. ????

1 hour ago, mvdf said:

Are you my long lost twin? I ask because not only am I vegetarian but i too despise garlic. I actually have screen shots of "no garlic please" in various languages saved on my phone's photos app. Raw garlic is especially a no no for me, regardless of broken radio reminders about how healthy it is.

I hate it whenever I eat in a regular restaurant and it slips my mind to tell them no garlic. I'd like to get it tattooed on my forehead in Thai..... don't put any stinking fkn garlic in my meal. Yeah, and like you I'm sick to death of being told it's good for me. ????

• Confused 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, bbko said:

Many regular restaurants have closed due to Covid/lack of customers, I'd think a specialized place such a vegan restaurant would be especially affected.  Good luck on finding a proper one still open.  

Definitely not the same Pattaya this Vegetarian visited a few years ago.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HappyGoLuckyLife said:

well damn. do you have some underlying trauma that caused this reaction?

Yep, he sure sounds aggressive, he must have had a couple of kilos of raw red meat for breakfast. ????

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely not the same Pattaya this Vegetarian visited a few years ago.

Even the Mae Sai Thong mango & sticky rice place has gone. Established in 1992. Perhaps they will be back if they redevelop the former food centre there(Mae Wilai Market).

For now, there is still the one on the other side of the road(J.Noy).

On 10/18/2021 at 2:44 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Get the Happy Cow app. It's a must have for veg/vegans. Here's a list of those I know are open.

1. Yes! Vegan (lovely little place. Excellent fine dining but a bit pricey)

2. Tien Sin Vegetarian Food. Lunch Only. (excellent and cheap) Shows as T&I on Google Maps

3. 5 Star J (pretty good, expensive. However farang owner is a piece of sh...work. Many people stopped going because of him. I haven't gone in 7 or 8 years. Prior to him taking over, was there daily for lunch)

There was a great veg stall in Pier 21 Food Court at Terminal 21. Excellent and laughably cheap, but sadly it was out of business about a month ago. Well after the Mall and Food Court reopening. Hopefully they've reopened since. 

The place in Terminal 21 is open again and you're right, it's great. Plenty of choices, mostly 100% vegan, but some occasional options with eggs. Cheap and tasty. I go there almost every day.

• Like 2

My parents have been vegetarian since 1999. We are local Thai family.
I remembered going to 5-star J once or twice.
Mostly when we eat out we usually rotate between MK, Sizzler, Yes Vegan, and Panpan. I know that these are not all vegan restaurant but with enough customization we can make do.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 9:44 AM, Skeptic7 said:

It's open for business.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Been intending to go for months and finally got around to it yesterday. Mega-vegan Burrito and avacado spring rolls. Delish!

PSX_20211027_144405_copy_1500x1626.thumb.jpg.9ad8ad999b36a712a299c99775189894.jpg

I'm here right now eating exactly that. ????

They have happy hour with 20% discount from 3 to 6 pm.

20211103_153417.jpg

20211103_153723.jpg

• Like 2