Thailand's healthcare system ranked among best in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

One of the most important factors for me is that a Health Service can provide consultation, treatment and medication on the day I need them! Here in Thailand, wherever I have lived, I have enjoyed such a thing in mainly government hospitals and clinics! - over the last 19 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

What measuring stick was used?

... thumb times Pi, as per the usual?

Sure looks like it, no useful details in the original piece either ... garbage, just read the comments there, 555 ...

https://ceoworld.biz/2021/04/27/revealed-countries-with-the-best-health-care-systems-2021/

20 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

You must be referring to the NHS? ????

Well, you  and others who complain about NHS should go back to UK  because according to this article the UK system is better than Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

Thailand - the hub of dodgy and misleading polls, lol.

One might be able to conduct their own search and get completely different "world rankings" from 10-12 different sources/surveys. 

Laughable, how did they come up  with these numbers? Japan is rated as number 5. I lived there for over 30 years. I don't know how many times I was misdiagnosed or given the wrong treatment and had to come to Thailand to get sorted out. Granted I went to private hospitals, but nothing on par exists in Japan. 

6 hours ago, Swampy999 said:

I was going to comment on the original article but after reading your post I can now comment on both of them.

"Bol##cks" 

First class hospital care for the 1% of the population that own 68% of the counties wealth but you get out of the 'Disney Land' cities and come to Issan and your rose tinted glasses will be shattered.

In tour own words "Bol##cks"

Since when did the bulk of the Thai population live in Issan.

Would the UK have the worst employment rate in Europe if you only considered the West coast of Scotland.

As a patient I can honestly say my experience in a private Thai hospital a few years ago put the British NHS to shame. Eg test results coming back within hours rather than days; daily visits even on Sunday by the surgeon .

However this is only after I paid upfront with my credit card to get admitted for emergency surgery.

Even after this I had to finance the follow up 2nd  op with my card while waiting for my insurers to cough up! For me even without insurance the price was so cheap ..the cost of a private room with own bathroom,cable ,air con and balcony and all meals plus nursing care was LESS than staying in a 3 star hotel. 

However many of my Thai friends told me they could never afford this.

Sure the Thai health sector is great if you have the money. Try going to a public hospital and you will not be impressed. 

55 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Well, you  and others who complain about NHS should go back to UK  because according to this article the UK system is better than Thailand.

Go back to a waiting list of nearly 6,000,000? ☹️

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-waiting-lists-backlog-hits-record-high-with-nearly-six-million-awaiting-treatment-in-england-12433516

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Quite some government hospitals I've been to (Chiang Rai for example) have a rather medieval feeling to them with stretchers with dying people in the hallways, and whole families camping in tents outside, waiting for the bad news moment. This is just my own observation, mind you. Healthcare is only topnotch here, if you can afford it. 

How about the Burmese labourers in Samut Sakon, who had Covid? Barbed wired factories. 

Tend to agree, seems half sensible if you are paying top dollar but as I've done both when I had a work permit, the government hospital are not that bad. Yes some give the impression they are somewhat dated but unlike our NHS which seems to spend money on equipment and no, not the essential stuff, I mean beds, trollies. stretchers, the sort of stuff that looks dated in a Thai hospital yet it's still fully functional. With UK budgets if the NHS department doesn't spend all their money, then its decided its not needed and reduced the following year which is why the companies that supply hospitals and theatres in the UK still say with an NHS contract its a license to print money!! Not criticizing the NHS just its infrastructure run very much ,like local government and would not survive if a

private company carried on the same way.. apologies slightly off track here but Thai hospitals, private or government are pretty well run by anyone's standards..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

One of the most important factors for me is that a Health Service can provide consultation, treatment and medication on the day I need them! Here in Thailand, wherever I have lived, I have enjoyed such a thing in mainly government hospitals and clinics! - over the last 19 years.

Yeah. So many more, be they local or foreigner, have enjoyed decent and professional care - across the board. 

This manner and stance doesn't receive the attention or accolades that it deserves....... 

The minute minority of critique and whinging usually drowns out any such positives in life. 

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I use a government hospital  all the time, never had to wait 4 hours.

Maybe you would prefer a country in crisis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57229848

A link in the UK from May with hospitals in stress because of covid. Would you like some links to hospitals that were closed, full and ICU's in triage from Thailand just a few weeks ago. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

A link in the UK from May with hospitals in stress because of covid. Would you like some links to hospitals that were closed, full and ICU's in triage from Thailand just a few weeks ago. 

This link is 3 days old.... https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-waiting-lists-backlog-hits-record-high-with-nearly-six-million-awaiting-treatment-in-england-12433516

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The NHS has never been petfect but its also served the UK people far more than many countries. The effects of the pandemic have increased the problems, no surprise there. I have nothing but gratitude for how they have treated me when I was there and all my family who are still there.

Correct. Not perfect and was built for a different era.

Hopefully, the government's 1.5% ni increase will be correctly used but with aging populations globally it's a zero sum game for many countries.

UK is recovering pretty well from the pandemic and last week's employment figures are very good.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/uk-job-vacancies-one-million-unemployed-people-choices-economy-recovering-1207492

Looks like the UK government's decision to support employees and businesses through the pandemic will be vindicated.

Six months on are farang business owners still feeding the needy in Pattaya?

The Thai government's non existent help for their population has been a disgrace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I use a government hospital  all the time, never had to wait 4 hours.

Maybe you would prefer a country in crisis.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57229848

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/uk-job-vacancies-one-million-unemployed-people-choices-economy-recovering-1207492

Think you are mixing your countries up.

Farang's still feeding the needy in Pattaya?

Any links to Thai government furlough support for employees?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

UK NHS 10th that's a joke. It can take weeks just to see a GP then maybe months to get treated. I can walk into a hospital here with no appointment and get seen and maybe even treated the same day. OK you pay but then i pay for the NHS through taxes.

Not my experience but perhaps your local authority is worst than mine , what part of the UK do you live in ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Not my experience but perhaps your local authority is worst than mine , what part of the UK do you live in ?

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

UK NHS 10th that's a joke. It can take weeks just to see a GP then maybe months to get treated. I can walk into a hospital here with no appointment and get seen and maybe even treated the same day. OK you pay but then i pay for the NHS through taxes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it is my experience as well, the service is a disgrace. ☹️

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:
  8 hours ago, Henryford said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it is my experience as well, the service is a disgrace. ☹️

Where exactly do you live in the UK. Certainly where I know of you can get a walk in appointment at the G.P. within 5 days, if its an emergency the same day, or if you prefer you can have an online consultation. That's in Enfield North London, Bath and Newquay in Cornwall where my daughter is a nurse.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1