Thailand's healthcare system ranked among best in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

Enjoyed years of good healthcare in the UK, limited exposure to Thai healthcare but government hospitals for family pregnancies, and other assorted fixes appear to get the job done ok. 

So no matter where they stand in world rankings so far both good enough for me ????

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

UK NHS 10th that's a joke. It can take weeks just to see a GP then maybe months to get treated. I can walk into a hospital here with no appointment and get seen and maybe even treated the same day. OK you pay but then i pay for the NHS through taxes.

Things must have changed.  I went back to UK in about 2001 , I had only been to LoS on holiday .  After about 2 days I had a sore throat and a lump just north of the front toilet ( How polite ).  I saw the local doc. lady straight away . She asked where I had been , I said Thailand. The sore throat was caused by dust , the lump was a hernia.  Operation need on hernia if it got worse ( It hasn't )  and a big white tablet for the throat which cleared up next day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah right among the best in the world.. good one to start the day a joke...

I’m not even gonna start commenting .. This story has to rank up there with Fairies and Hobgoblins … Wonder if they meant the 7-11 as access to clean water

• Haha 1

Jeez - it must be normal to bring a picnic mat, sleep next to your relatives and care for them while the nurses sit and do nothing more than take your temperature.
It must be normal to have cats running around the corridors where people are dying on trolleys. 
It must be normal to get your relatives to have to go to the pharmacy to get your drugs and then come back and administer them. 

Well done Thailand .. only 3 places behind the UK - I wouldn’t want to fall sick in Germany. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

How many Thai people have regular checkups like mammograms, colonoscopy, blood tests and other preventive procedures that are pretty much normal and free in civilized countries?

Or simply, how about that covid vaccine?

I get my bloods done every 6 months and just got my 2nd AZ vaccine last week. And I’m 2 weeks in to getting a quality dental implant installed at 1/4 of the cost in Australia. I’m happy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

A misleading title.  In Bangkok, at some expensive major hospitals, if you can afford it, which the vast majority of Thais cannot, then it probably is, If its rural health care, a choice for millions here,  no chance, its appallingly bad. Mind you, I will add, as a Brit, that the NHS is also appallingly bad and lets' down the majority of those who need treatment and  even many of those that  get it.   No point having a free service if you can't  access it and its poor when you do. 

Agree.  My Thai partner's Bangkok family had more than 2 million baht worth of medical expenses with his Mom.  Long story short, everything she needed, there was no availability at the government hospitals.  So, she had to use private hospitals for almost everything.  

• Like 2

Actually quite difficult to read a title like that.

A few years ago my father had a stroke whilst in Thailand and was admitted to Bangkok hospital where he then had a further heart attack (so we believe) then then had to fit a tube in his throat (tracheotomy) in order to keep water off his lungs. Whilst in ICU he arms were tied to the the side of the bed and he had no free movement. After 3 weeks the doctor said we could organise a stretcher plane from Bankgkok to UK and get him back to a hospital there.

The Thai doctors had indicated that the tracheotomy had to stay indefinitely. When he arrived in UK the UK doctors were appaled that he was allowed to travel and it would seem that he was pretty close to death upon arrival back to the UK, the doctors were also bemused about some of the things that were done to him and also questioned some of the treatment that he had had. They also informed after one week that they would take the tube out of his throat, and allow it to heal and hopefully he could then get his voice back.

The one month 'care' in Thailand cost around £60 k, including the flight home and care during flight etc and as mentioned the doctors were pretty horrified at the methods of care used on my father, i was going to sue however tbh didnt want to go through all of that.

Shortly after this a lawyer that i knew in Hua hin had another client end up in Intensive care and i was asked to help as the lady in hospital had no relatives or friends to contact and could i help transfer some money from her UK account. I was being asked this whilst the lady in ICU was signing document that seemed to cover her ownership of her condo, which i later presumed was being signed over!! (yes sounds dodgy bu t i was trying to help) I was asked to collect the women's bag from her condo and use the details to transfer money from her account in UK to Thailand. Upon returning with her bag to the hospital she was now gone! I was told that had to move her to Bangkok as better facilities there. This whole thing felt very weird and i wish i wasnt involved as i was now on camera going into the womens appartment and taking her bag! I asked the staff to forward her bag on, however they would have nothing to do with it and wouldnt assist at all in helping, so i was now stuck with this womens bag!

I felt i couldn't really trust anyone there but also could question their methods.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

My experience and that of my Thai wife of private hospitals here is that they prescribe as many unnecessary and unsuitable medicines as possible and push you to sign up for expensive medical procedures and tests that you don't actually need. It is all about money.

Same in other countries, so comparing like with like, I guess Thai private healthcare is OK. I'd say UAE is mostly far superior though, just personal experience. 

With the double pricing system for foreigners because the Thai need to speak en learn English and because Farang have enough money?  Or do they charge rich Thai people also double or tripple for the same treatments? Yeah right !  They have a discriminating health care system because of that.

If you have big money or a very good insurance that actually pays out then I'm sure every country would have a excellent health care system. The survey should have been done on those with little money or no insurance I bet the list would be nothing like its showing.

• Like 2