Thailand's healthcare system ranked among best in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

Most of the righteous commentators are forgetting - beside the different experiences of farangs in Thai state hospitals (the different experiences aren't uncommon in any country, especially by a foreigner) - how many years this country has been developing from zero compared with a country developed for centuries (e.g. UK).  

This aspect is often forgotten at many other comments.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It's good if you can afford it or have good insurance, if not then you are pretty much screwed.

I spent the night in a provincial hospital before being transferred to a a private Bangkok one. At the provincial hospital, i was told I would have to wait a week for the operation to happen, and would be stuck in a open communal ward with only 2 nurses for the whole, very big ward.  I was lucky I had insurance to get transferred. 

• Like 2

What a load of rubbish. I see Canada is missing because there is no national medical system. Each province is in charge of it's own medical. They all are a little different , I have complete coverage ,all tests, all procedures and all medicine free. You will not get better than that anywhere.

• Like 1

Blowing their own trumpet not realizing, that it is not their trumpet. Rarely read more rubbish, just look into any government hospital upcountry and there you see the "system" - a disgrace to humanity for the 21st century. 

But, as long as doctors here are blessed with a semi-divine status combined with a huge face .......... I could share most interesting stories of wrong diagnosis, not only inflated but over-inflated bills and childish behaviour when having asked doctors, what exactly was wrong with me! 

But lets be happy to be in such a fairy tale country, also without corruption, prostitution etc ...... next please! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

A misleading title.  In Bangkok, at some expensive major hospitals, if you can afford it, which the vast majority of Thais cannot, then it probably is, If its rural health care, a choice for millions here,  no chance, its appallingly bad. Mind you, I will add, as a Brit, that the NHS is also appallingly bad and lets' down the majority of those who need treatment and  even many of those that  get it.   No point having a free service if you can't  access it and its poor when you do. 

Good comparison pointing out the high and the low.  I agree with you.  For minor care, Thais probably can get stuff.  But beyond that, the majority lack decent treatment, decent preventive care, etc.    But the survey considered many factors including costs.  USA care is pretty good, but got so expensive during Obamacare, I am surprised it ranks as high as it did now in the survey

2 minutes ago, gk10012001 said:

Good comparison pointing out the high and the low.  I agree with you.  For minor care, Thais probably can get stuff.  But beyond that, the majority lack decent treatment, decent preventive care, etc.    But the survey considered many factors including costs.  USA care is pretty good, but got so expensive during Obamacare, I am surprised it ranks as high as it did now in the survey

It's always been way outta reach for 95% of the population. Add medical insurance to this unattainable category. 

The most brilliant "public" medical minds, programs and institutions are of little value if no one can take advantage of it.

• Like 1

I have no complaints about Srinagarind in Khon Kean. I had a aggressive carcinoma tumor on my right leg. The surgical staff and nurses were impressive with the level of care given this farang. I have also been seeing the dermatologist  on a regular bases and the pain doctor for chronic back pain. Yes, I think Thailand deserves their ranking. 

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I have recently (July/August) been an inpatient at Chiang Rai Government Hospital. I had emergency surgery on a badly infected foot, the scepticemia from which was starting to spread. It saved my life. My insurance declined to pay, claiming that a pre-existing condition led to the condition. Nobody raised the question of payment until I was well on the road to recovery. We arranged a payment plan. The cost was not outrageous.

The hospital was busy, 24 hours a day, clean and the nursing and surgical care was excellent. Yes, families were camped outside - but Thais always have members of families staying with them in hospital . I was not aware of anyone dieing on stretchers.

The food was terrible.

Since being discharged I have been attending my local rural hospital every day to have my wound dressed. Occasionally a doctor looks at it. The nurses are kind, competent (and cute). I have never had to wait more than 20 minutes for treatment.

I wouldn't know how to rate my care, or the system, on a global system, but my experience has been positive, and I honestly don't recognise either comment I have quoted.

Very good that they saved you. My friend had an issue with an infected toe, in the end they amputated it but the foot was still infected and they told him they were going to amputate that too. In desperation he flew back to the UK and went to a NHS hospital they didn't amputate and it was sorted in a few days, he was a very relieved man. Another had an eye infection and needed to stay in the hospital as he needed drops every hour for two days after 9pm he never saw the nurse or anyone again until the morning when he told the doctor what happened and paid up and left taking the medicine with him for his wife to administer. Another friend had big issues at the same hospital and needed a few operations and was in ICU for some time he says the hospital saved his life. Luck of the draw I guess.

29 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Very good that they saved you. My friend had an issue with an infected toe, in the end they amputated it but the foot was still infected and they told him they were going to amputate that too

You make it sound like a coin toss as to whether you will get good, or potentially life threatening treatment!

51 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

They had 10 beds in a ward for made for four, you had to bring in everything for them towels etc. The bed linen was provided but if it needed washing the patients family had to do it. No aircon or working fans in the ward. Food was provided again by the family. I've seen other hospitals which look a little better but the ones nearby to me seem totally overstretched and run down. Most families will do anything they can to get into a private hospital including selling their farms or land. (Sad!)

When my wife's 88 y/o grandfather was on his last days and staying in a government hospital up in rural part of Issan, the family pitched in and paid for him to get a private room, as for the daily care such as feeding, bathing, urinal/bedpan, changing linen, family members took turns pitching in during his 2 week stay.  I understand while this is not doable for everyone (especially farangs), it was nice to see the family taking care of their elder patriarch. 

15 hours ago, Pravda said:

OMG, how is this possible. The article in the op states UK is ranked 10 while Thailand is ranked 13.

The survey was probably done before the true extent of the crisis is became public knowledge.

23 hours ago, Pravda said:

I admit I know nothing about UK healthcare, but I know plenty about Canadian healthcare. The doctors and hospitals will do everything in their power to save a life regardless of cost. In Thailand, they won't even give you painkillers if you're dying of cancer unless you pay. 

I have a good insurance here, but there is no way in hell I will fight with them here when I'm old if something serious comes up. They will always refuse to pay and make excuses. 

My ex-wife's friend died of cancer in her early 30's here. She had insurance because she worked in the same company as my wife. A very big German international company connected to BTS project. The company is great, but Thai insurance apparently isn't as they didn't pay for treatment. What to say? 

Not our experience with Thai Insurance which the whole family has

Our daughter when growing up had inpatient treatment on several occasions for non Life threatening conditions.

In the last year I have had 7 operations after having an accident at home

The Insurance company paid on all the occasions without any problems for the above

They sent a representative to the hospital on each occasion to check if everything was ok and offered a nurse at home for seven days after each operation

Never had such service in Australia with private insurance when I was always substantially out of pocket

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

It's always been way outta reach for 95% of the population. Add medical insurance to this unattainable category. 

The most brilliant "public" medical minds, programs and institutions are of little value if no one can take advantage of it.

You're aware there's a dual health care system in Thailand: private and public, and medical staff is encouraged to work in both institutions?

So, the quality gap shouldn't be too big, nor should the accessibility, just the prices differ. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Yes, I would go along with that! When my English wife had cancer, we were in and out of (Government) hospitals regularly for two years. For myself, as already intimated in another response here, I have been to Doctors clinics and hospital for bits and pieces for nearly 20 years. I never waited (for my turn) more than 45 minutes even when seeing what seemed so many people before me! Not only that, I have been examined and had an Xray with its diagnosis and my prescription sorted in less than 2 hours!

Some places do not look as pristine as Private hospitals but the care and attention as far as I am concerned is no different.

Oh yes, and hopelessly cheap!

I use Bang Saen which recently built a new block and now houses the outpatients, as pristine as you can get.

I have an appointment tomorrow, with bloods. I will have the blood test at 8am and the results will be available to the doctor when I see him at 9.30am.

The the treatment can't be faulted, only the cashier. The cashier can take as long as the doctor per patient, they have 6-8 doctors and 2 cashiers, so always a backlog.

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Too many are accustomed to the western ideal everything taken care of by the hospital.

Where possible in Thai government hospitals is it not prudent to have staff take care of the medical side and family take care of the non medical stuff?

It is after all a 35 baht healthcare system!

It might be a 35 baht health care system for something minor but it certainly isn't when major health care issues are being dealt with--at least in Bangkok.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was over 2MB for my Thai partner's grandmother.

• Like 1