Over-stayers beware! BMW smart car comes for Brit who didn't renew his visa - blacklisted for 5 years

webfact

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Do you honestly think that this would make news overseas, scores of people get caught for overstay in other countries, nothing to brag about, i.e. unless your xenophobic.

Real news can not be reported here. So nonsense is reported  instead. Real news would be a searing  indictment  of the penal system, of the political  system and of the ***** ******.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, n00dle said:
2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Well you get accommodation, could be a 4 star hotel? free food, free medical, free clothes, but I think you need to come into the UK on a Dinghy from France and have no passport, this guy being a Brit will get nothing.LOL

Ah, the common refrain of the british bigot.

What is "bigoted" about his comment?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Are they claiming that they roam around in these cars and their cameras and facial recognition software scan and identify everyone they see and check their immigration status?

Or did someone just grass him up?

At a guess I’d say the latter. 555

6 hours ago, hioctane said:

There are already cameras all over the place. It wouldn’t be difficult to outfit them with facial recognition software and hook them up to every LE database there is.  Big brother is watching!

Ha Ha HA HA!! Have you forgotten where you are? If they  cant even keep track of how many houses and high end cars their own officers have how would they possibly manage to install facial recognition software AND link to every database. 

I love the way nabbing a numpty who decided not to renew his visa is "keeping Thailand safe". It's not like he was roaming the countryside slaughtering people or peddling drugs, he just decided not to go through the hassle of photocopying every documant he's ever owned to get a stamin his passport.

• Thanks 1

Probably ran out of covid extensions and that was that. Rather than pay an *agent* who then pays the _ _ _ he just decided that he'll pay the 20k when he gets caught.

He's probably money ahead and no plan to come back here anyway. All the extensions, money wasted going and returning from immigration.

Indirectly immigration's fault for allowing all the covid extensions, volunteer visas, agents....

• Confused 2

Nothing smart about these cars aside of having a computer with Internet aboard. Seems in almost every case so far that they simply drive around after having heard something from locals, to then check with their system and find out if it is good or bad. 

I guess this will be the only BMW car in Thailand people not like to see driving around lol.

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'd better keep my head down then as I'm on a 22 day overstay & counting... 

Obviously I'm not (did my annual extension in August & it's good till 26th September 2022) but according to Immigration records I am ???? 

1E030A6B-42CC-4101-8872-3CD7A985F0BA.thumb.jpeg.6fe078a461fb59ad3ac08e93ce841041.jpeg

It's not like they don't know where to find me seeing as I've done a TM30 & 90 Day Report in the past 3 weeks :s 

Same with me , been  on "overstay:  since March  according to those watts and their  hi tech super duper computer system

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He was found to be on overstay of 349 days

So he didn't take any action once the "visa amnesty" ended last year in October. I find that quite mind-boggling, considering that Covid extensions have been available ever since - it has never been easier to be legal in Thailand, whether you qualify for a "proper visa" or not.

As for the smart car part, what does the fact that they emphasize the car's contribution say about the immigration officers that accompanied said car? I'll leave it there. ????

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You're a young fella then. We had a party line and we had to crank the handle and ask the operator to call the number.

However, life was good then, before mobile phones, internet, stupid reality shows on tv ( no tv lol ), social media etc.

This is beginning to sound like.....The 4 Yorkshiremen sketch

Edited by bangon04

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I would think that like a hot sheet with the daily list of stolen cars we would get back in the US as a LEO, the immigration police who drive the BMW smart cars would be given a list of those on a list that have overstayed their visas, extension of stats etc.., and then sent out to start looking for them in the last known locations they had been seen or registered in.  With the camera system running as they drove about the computer does all of the work and a hit would be confirmed with the system and the person stopped and arrested much like finding those stolen vehicles.  Of course stolen cars would possibly take one on a pursuit but an out of shape overstayer would stand no chance.

What if the individual is wearing a mask? 

Those car's are pretty smart. 

These BMW smart cars are simply wonderful. Maybe the British border farce could secure a fleet of them as they are clearly so effective in locating illegals. Oh but wait a minute, how would they ever know if someone was on overstay as there are no exit immigration checks? And another thing, the softy home office rarely ever deport anyone either. At least Thailand makes it easy for most to stay legally and they do uphold the immigration laws.

• Confused 1

BMW smart car - well, good on the Bavarians for this sterling contribution to keep the world in general and Thailand in particular ......... safe! 

Those overstayers are a definite threat to national security and hence must be eradicated by all means with the full force of whatever resources and, good luck, smart cars tell the drivers and all those officers in the wake of the car, when, where, what, who and how to do! Brilliant job - keep up the good work ???? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You're a young fella then. We had a party line and we had to crank the handle and ask the operator to call the number.

However, life was good then, before mobile phones, internet, stupid reality shows on tv ( no tv lol ), social media etc.

When I lived in Rhodesia, we lived a little bit out of town. Our phone was on a party line with 20, yes twenty, subscribers. Each subscribers jade a coded ring - ours was ten short and two long. To call the exchange, one cranked the handle, one long ring. To call a neighbour on the same party line, one had to crank their code ring. An international call had to be booked days in advance, and cost 10 pounds per minute!

TV was monochrome, and only broadcast for a small number of hours per day... 18:00 to 22:00 as far as I remember.

Left the country at the end of 1979.

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Just decided Covid Visa Amnesty (finished 30 Sept 20 ?) would never End ?

Covid Extention or Longstay Visa just was not for him it seems. Probable “Visa Exempt” leftover ?

Any more detail of his visa status ? 

Favourite Overstay Story here was that Hungarian woman on Samui /Eleven Years ! Record Surely. Or that French guy doing two overstays of 3 & 5 years, entering overland illegally….twice ! or Indian guy with 8 years OS recently….. fascinating tales of unhinged desperate folk…. 

It would be interesting to see what punishment they received. Very rarely is there a follow up report.

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

5 years is not long enough. Persona Non Grata indefinately

Theres zero excuse for absolutely anyone to be on overstay (and lets be generous) for more than 30 days unless hospitalised etc

There really really isn't. Thailand are far too soft on this

Or, they could allow foreigners longer-term permission to stay. My Thai sister-in-law and her Dutch husband are living in Hungary. Five year visas given, and the country hasn't fallen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, ok, so what did he do that caused Thailand to be unsafe for 349 days while he overstayed.

How much did he spend while he was here in those 349 days, not very bright are they.

I see, this is to justify the cost of the BMW's....

You can’t be serious can you

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Fair call.  True.  Add to the list.  Plenty of scumbag farangs here with criminal pasts and ongoing criminality enjoying the fruits of their crimes here.  Plenty have boasted to me in drunken rants how clever they were.  I Don't feel sorry if scum are caught.

But did those 'drunken ranters' have visas? if they did I suppose they are acceptable for the Immigration boys. Does the Brit have a criminal past and is up to no good here? Or just living and supporting a Thai, and family maybe?