Over-stayers beware! BMW smart car comes for Brit who didn't renew his visa - blacklisted for 5 years

webfact

No real hardship the way Thailand is right now having us jump through covid hoops, we probably wont be back for 5 years, by which time Thailand will be a different country.

I'm alright Jack here in the southern European sun, free from all this anti-farang stuff.

10 hours ago, Chivas said:

5 years is not long enough. Persona Non Grata indefinately

Theres zero excuse for absolutely anyone to be on overstay (and lets be generous) for more than 30 days unless hospitalised etc

There really really isn't. Thailand are far too soft on this

Thailand way to soft? 

What does that make the west? We give houses away to illegal immigrants..

11 hours ago, Chivas said:

Theres zero excuse for absolutely anyone to be on overstay (and lets be generous) for more than 30 days unless hospitalised etc

He got tired of reporting to immigration and was ready to move out of Thailand. Seriously doubt he will be back at all, try any one of the dozens of surrounding 'paradises' and you'll see him there in a few days. We called them drifters in the caribbean, like cigarette butts in a spindrift, they'll end up wherever there's the least resistance and effort

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You're a young fella then. We had a party line and we had to crank the handle and ask the operator to call the number.

However, life was good then, before mobile phones, internet, stupid reality shows on tv ( no tv lol ), social media etc.

ah, we did have a party line in the summer house up in New Hampshire. Two longs, one short was our "line". The party line kept the costs low.  I remember telling people to get off the line, or trying to listen when I should not have been, etc.  The farmer down the road in George's Mills had a crank phone on the wall, but that no longer worked.  I missed that by just a few years

12 hours ago, bbko said:

No details on how it tracked down the overstayer?  Facial recognition?  Cell phone tracking?  Vaccine induced microchip?

Knew he hadn't left the country, knew where he lived? Went to the house? Someone told them where he had gone out to? Leapt in the big flash motor ( I wonder if they have mended the one up our way yet - rumour has it the engine management system is on the blink) and drove around until they saw him?

12 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yeah especially compared to the US ????????????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, n00dle said:

I am not one to judge, I have played thai immigration fast and loose with continuous residence in the country for over 20 years with the exception of a 5 year stint when I worked in the phils and split my time.

I have had tourist visas, non Os, non Bs,  and VOAs. I once even racked up about 3 months worth of overstay just because I could.

This fellow, with covid extension being bog simple to obtain for the last 1.5 years is just foolish.

immigration was so relaxed about visas, boarder runs, overstaying back then. I had several times an IO told me to just overstay....boy miss those days.

19 hours ago, bbko said:

No details on how it tracked down the overstayer?  Facial recognition?  Cell phone tracking?  Vaccine induced microchip?

"....This time the car - fitted with high tech gizmos like an internet connection...."

They used high tech gizmos!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:
19 hours ago, bbko said:

Facial recognition from the pic given by the GF

More likely looked for TM30's that didn't match immigration updates like 90 day reports or extensions, and they parked outside his house and waited.

This is more like a parable disguised as a news story.  They don't want you to know how they did it.  They just want you to believe that they can do it.  Put the fear of Buddha in overstayers...

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

immigration was so relaxed about visas, boarder runs, overstaying back then. I had several times an IO told me to just overstay....boy miss those days.

I knew a lot of guys who made a rational, economic decision to pay the 20,000 every couple of years when they had to leave Thailand for any reason.  It was cheaper than keeping up with their extensions or doing monthly border runs.  They could clear a years-long overstay for 20K, do a border bounce and be back in time for lunch the next day.  They strung together decades in Thailand between that and border van runs.

Their only risk was getting caught out before they could get to the airport or the border.  That ended around 2014.  Simpler times.  Expats didn't feel like a slow boiling frog back then...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

" Immigration Bureau's famous BMW smart cars were at it again keeping Thailand safe."

I laughed out loud when I saw this!( Not sure how an overstaying Brit is dangerous). But suggest a conversation is had with the police about keeping Thailand's roads safe. Umm anyone heard of the highway code? :)

22 hours ago, bbko said:

My cell phone has internet connection, GPS and facial recognition. Is it a high-tech gizmo too? I love how these people like to portray themselves and boast about being so high-tech making the illiterate local population think they are being kept safe from the evil foreigners. If only they would keep all of us (evil foreigners) safe and do something about the monkeys on motorbikes riding on the footpath ????

I'm genuinely astonished at the reactions in the form of emoji on this thread

My response of a permanent ban rather than 5 years was met with derision. When I make the point that no one bar hospitalisation should be even 30 days over visa duration that to is met with amazement

We have a forum full of individuals who think its routinely acceptable to break visa rules not by  say 2 days but by a month or in the case of the OP 1 entire year

Someone tell why anyone should be even 30 days over visa validity bar hospital/jail ??

30 days why ????

Edited by Chivas