Gated communities and Security - What systems are available?

I live in a gated community that in the past has a security house staffed with a security guard.  Candidly they are nothing more than a decoration.  Despite changing security guards the gates remain open, they let everyone pass without so much as a question.  

I know there are systems where there is a permanent gate closure of the entrance and exit to the community.  Vehicles have either a bar code which is scanned upon entry and/or there is a keypad to punch in a code.  Exit is not a problem with a sensor that rolls the gate open. 

However, what do others do with legitimate vendors such as water, meter readers, delivery services, etc.  I know that some communities have it that a service such as repair or delivery is required to call the homeowner and the homeowner then transmits a code or provides to the delivery person a code to be keyed it the gate keypad that raises the gate.  What do other communities have here in Thailand and what do they do with services such as mail or meter reading.  

I don't think there is anywhere in Thailand high security for housing. (HiSo) people get annoyed if they are not recognized and have to show some pass/ID. And people get annoyed if they don't get their deliveries, etc.

With a proper security there wouldn't be any exceptions. But too many people want exceptions when they like them and complain about bad security when this is also done for others.

TiT

OP, I think your efforts would be best directed at manning the gate fulltime and correctly . Any unmanned systems basically fail over time, or are prohibitively expensive. Hardware breaks down, cards, codes etc get lost, stolen, shared.

A guard costs 300 baht a day, its just up to the village admin to make sure they do their job correctly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

A guard costs 300 baht a day, its just up to the village admin to make sure they do their job correctly.

Said that for 6 years.  Guards don't do their job and village administrator does nothing.  That is why I wanted to suggest a system that does not require a human being to monitor the behavior of an employee who is there merely for decoration.