End of Buddhist Lent approaching this Thursday October 21st, 24-hour alcohol sales ban incoming

snoop1130

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If only I would have noticed any difference since July at our four(!) temples close by.

Return to their temples?

During Lent, many monks went to do religious retreats, India being a favorite place.  Now it's time to get back to normal duties in their temples. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'm predicting some raids in CM.

There have been raids on bars / restaurants in CM.

Now there are hidden cameras you must go show yourself to to get in.  Must also text some staff inside so they know to look at the camera ...

Other places have secret knocks to get inside after 8pm or so ....

Then there are places that have been open since the ban was enacted thus must be paying off the BiB.  Some places know when the raids are happening thus won't serve on those evenings ... places right across the moat weren't told and got hit.  It's all about the money ...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The day traditionally also brings a 24-hour total national alcohol sales ban, although it has not yet been officially announced but is nearly certain to happen. Although bars and entertainment venues remain closed nationwide due to Covid19 and only a few sandbox areas like Phuket can sell alcohol at restaurants, this will also extend to store sales on the 21st.

Bless my local M&P shop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

During Lent, many monks went to do religious retreats, India being a favorite place.  Now it's time to get back to normal duties in their temples. 

Maybe low to no overseas travel this year with the Covid restrictions?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe low to no overseas travel this year with the Covid restrictions?

Yes, maybe.  I don't think it's so hard getting into India, but getting back out would be a problem..  Many countries are not letting anyone from India back into their countries. 

13 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

There have been raids on bars / restaurants in CM.

Now there are hidden cameras you must go show yourself to to get in.  Must also text some staff inside so they know to look at the camera ...

Other places have secret knocks to get inside after 8pm or so ....

Then there are places that have been open since the ban was enacted thus must be paying off the BiB.  Some places know when the raids are happening thus won't serve on those evenings ... places right across the moat weren't told and got hit.  It's all about the money ...

How desperate for a drink had someone got to be to go through that performance.?

• Confused 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:26 PM, zzaa09 said:

Well, of course there is.

The all-knowing and all-seeing puritan temperance circles are doing what they do.

The great aspect of all this <deleted> - no one pays any heed to this gobbledygoop - 

Most people do pay heed here. It's profoundly important. It's not gobbledygook. Some foreigners are rude, discourteous and ignorant of Thai cultural mores and religious

values

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

But it's not really Buddhism is it, amulets, superstition, fortune telling, statues of giant dogs, zebras and chickens etc Wats looking like theme parks and monks up to all sorts, including the ones I saw betting at a muay Thai match. Not a lot to respect really, and most of them could not tell you what the 4 noble truths are or the 8 fold path, they seem more interested in for ever building more and more onto Wats and giant statues.

I agree. I have been to Nepal and Tibet. The concept of Buddhism is very different here in Thailand. To me it seems much more commercial and superstitious here.

• Like 1

Well for a start you have a faux PM who talks to frogs, wears I don't know how many amulets under his shirt ( probably ) as some sort of bullet proof vest and also consults fortune tellers, when on when will this country get rid of the dinosaurs and get a proper PM with intelligence ? Who has an idea about business & running a country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well for a start you have a faux PM who talks to frogs, wears I don't know how many amulets under his shirt ( probably ) as some sort of bullet proof vest and also consults fortune tellers, when on when will this country get rid of the dinosaurs and get a proper PM with intelligence ? Who has an idea about business & running a country.

He's no different to other Thai political leaders. Thaksin Shinawatra was a great believer in witchcraft and black magic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

How desperate for a drink had someone got to be to go through that performance.?

It's called socializing.  Maybe you like to live as a hermit ... or some type of puritan.

In California alcohol was deemed a necessity during Covid times and delivery trucks kept going.  But here the junta gov likes to apply control to the people of Thailand any way he can.

Having a glass of wine with dinner is not "suspect" behavior.

• Like 1