฿130m ‘stolen’ from over 10,000 Thai bank accounts in just four days

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Bangkok Bank. Who are certainly dragging their feet. 

Have emailed them to see if they needed anything more and requested a progress report. 

No reply !

Get on the phone to them and demand a response.  it's  completely out of order that they're making you wait this long

• Like 1

Just now, Kaopad999 said:

Get on the phone to them and demand a response.  it's  completely out of order that they're making you wait this long

And who exactly should I call?

Local branch haven't got a clue.

The only other number is Customer Service 1333??

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

And who exactly should I call?

Local branch haven't got a clue.

The only other number is Customer Service 1333??

Yes, customer service. 
Did they provide you with a reference number after you reported the missing  money? 

22 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Bangkok Bank. Who are certainly dragging their feet. 

Have emailed them to see if they needed anything more and requested a progress report. 

No reply !

And BTW don't bother with emailing, you're probably wasting your time. They most likely have a huge abundance *& backlog of emails. 

When i fist reported the missing money at my local branch, they had no idea what they were doing, so i called customer support while i was in the bank, and they sorted it out right there and then. 5 hours later they called me back to say that they refunded my 17,000 THB

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Thanks 1

I had 37 baht  taken out on the 9th five times at 02:00. I called the bank they asked if I play games. Canceled my cards  and have to pay for new one. 

I made a bank insurance laim last year under the banks card insurance and the insurance/ bank send me an email and attached was two spread  sheets of customer names with their debit card number and expire dates. So go figure. 

It's not just Thailand 5 years ago I had £60k taken out of my Natwest UK account in small amounts over three months and that was refunded within 24hrs 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yes, customer service. 
Did they provide you with a reference number after you reported the missing  money? 

Yes. I have a reference number. which is also quoted on an email I received the next day requesting that ì submit my statement and police report to, what I assume, is their Fraud unit's email address. 

All done as requested but heard nothing since. 

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

Typical Thailand =     full of Thieves and cheats      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True, but not just Thailand. Though Thailand has to be about the top of the list having being run by an unelected military government. 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

And BTW don't bother with emailing, you're probably wasting your time. They most likely have a huge abundance *& backlog of emails. 

When i fist reported the missing money at my local branch, they had no idea what they were doing, so i called customer support while i was in the bank.  

Ok. I'll try calling CS again and, when they finally answer, hope that the poor lady on the other end knows what in hell I'm talking about !

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Ok. I'll try calling CS again and, when they finally answer, hope that the poor lady on the other end knows what in hell I'm talking about !

Right, just be very firm but polite, and push the urgency.
Good luck man ????

Edited by Kaopad999

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

According to the International Press more than 40,000 accounts have been plundered in Thailand and it stinks of an inside job in one of the Banks or Card Center's.

Pal of mine had four amounts stolen from his account on 4th october; went to Bank, usual procedure of blank faces, several staff involved including Manager, Phone calls to Bangkok etc etc.   Bank said 'we will investigate' and meanwhile you should file a Police Report which was done on the same day and since then not a word from anyone, let alone a refund !

Every time i go in a Thai Bank i am amazed how long it takes them to do the simplest job or even to get to a counter; long queues at some Branches in Malls, lousy service, the Teller can only do the very simplest of jobs on their own before getting other Staff members involved, sometimes more than 30 minutes to get a Statement for Immigration or for a Tax Refund.  Their whole Computer system seems a couple of Decades or more out of date and training of Staff appears inadequate, seems obvious they are only interested in big profits and minimum re-investment, especially in 'Customer Service'.

Not just at my Bank then, usually head scratching and mai khow jai over anything above deposit and withdraw and even they are a problem at times. Recently nobody could tell me what one of their own codes in the bank book meant, immigration letter is always a puzzle even though I show then the copy of the one they did last year. New bank book needed- have to call manager for instructions how to do. They all act as if it's the first week on the job!

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Me too, i use cash for every purchase, even my new car. Never use a card in Thailand.

Never put any amount of money anywhere in Thailand that you can't afford to lose. this unelected soldiers government could come up with anything. Why do you think they use offshore accounts for their own money.

• Like 1

If possible, I only do online shopping from wellknown respectable websites. Almost two years ago, I purchased a few items from Wish which, at least for me, was a new site. A week later I started receiving order confirmations in Russian language on items from different sellers, which I would definitely never be interested in. Luckily I acted fast and managed to cancel the orders on the website and immediately cancelled the creditcard I had used. I believe that my Wish account had been hacked by a Russian hacker, and that the hacker was just not smart enough to change my email and password before committing the fraud. I guess it is needless to say, that I have never again shopped on Wish. I believe that all 10,700 victims of this recent fraud, must have something in common and have used their creditcard at the same website. I would suggest, that the investigators start by asking every victim, if they have recently done online shopping on Wish or any other similar website.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

My funds stolen on 5th October. And not repetative small amounts but 3 large sums.

Have submitted all the reports but 15 days later still no refund. 

Article in BP today states banks will refund within the next 5 days.......let's wait and see!!

Edited by Will B Good

17 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Article in BP today states banks will refund within the next 5 days.......let's wait and see!!

I'm debating whether to give BBL "Customer Service" another call and ask why it's taken 15days since reporting, whereas other members here with, say, Kbank, have received full refunds within a day or so of reporting the "theft".

Probably a waste of time....took them over 30mins to answer my urgent call on the evening it occurred. 

1 minute ago, orchidfan said:

I'm debating whether to give BBL "Customer Service" another call and ask why it's taken 15days since reporting, whereas other members here with, say, Kbank, have received full refunds within a day or so of reporting the "theft".

Probably a waste of time....took them over 30mins to answer my urgent call on the evening it occurred. 

Just checked my account...robbed on Oct 9, reported Oct 12 (I think)....nothing has been credited back to me.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Just checked my account...robbed on Oct 9, reported Oct 12 (I think)....nothing has been credited back to me.

I'm guessing you're with BBL also?

As I've mentioned before,  robbed in 5th (evening ) reported as soon as they finally answered 34mins later, card cancelled and report forwarded to their fraud division. 

Email received from fraud division on 7th. Investigation under way. 

I guess it's their first week in the job????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I'm guessing you're with BBL also?

As I've mentioned before,  robbed in 5th (evening ) reported as soon as they finally answered 34mins later, card cancelled and report forwarded to their fraud division. 

Email received from fraud division on 7th. Investigation under way. 

I guess it's their first week in the job????

Possibly.....fraud didn't exist in Thailand before last week.

• Haha 1

I have not used my Thai bank ATM card in 4 years as I left Thailand 4 years ago. And when I did use it when I was in Thailand, it was only for withdrawing cash from my bank's ATM. I never used it for purchasing anything.

I've been wanting to return to Thailand to transfer most of the money back to my home country bank. But with the covid mess I haven't been able to do so.

I check over the phone with my bank to verify the balance every so often and there's never been an issue. I'll be calling my Thai bank to check on my account.

Can anyone enlighten me under what circumstances people are getting their accounts hacked, i.e. Is it only accounts where the credit or debit card has been used in the recent past for purchases of goods and services ? Are long dormant accounts such as mine also getting plundered ?

1 hour ago, WingFat said:

I have not used my Thai bank ATM card in 4 years as I left Thailand 4 years ago. And when I did use it when I was in Thailand, it was only for withdrawing cash from my bank's ATM. I never used it for purchasing anything.

I've been wanting to return to Thailand to transfer most of the money back to my home country bank. But with the covid mess I haven't been able to do so.

I check over the phone with my bank to verify the balance every so often and there's never been an issue. I'll be calling my Thai bank to check on my account.

Can anyone enlighten me under what circumstances people are getting their accounts hacked, i.e. Is it only accounts where the credit or debit card has been used in the recent past for purchases of goods and services ? Are long dormant accounts such as mine also getting plundered ?

No, any debit card or credit card linked to your savings account  whether it's been used recently or not. And certainly not solely related to any recent online purchases (of any )

BBL send me SMS messages for any transaction and a weekly account balance every Monday morning.