฿130m ‘stolen’ from over 10,000 Thai bank accounts in just four days

snoop1130

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

adding that that banks will refund the affected customers within five days, if it can be proved that they did not order any goods or services online during the period.

And how does one prove that to a bank?

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And how does one prove that to a bank?

You ask them for the record of your card transactions! Chicken and egg. 

(It is a bit worrying, as I do use Lazada and have used AliBaba, I want to know where is this data breach!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The dates are wrong.....I had 45 amounts withdrawn on Oct 9.

That just means there was more than B130 million stolen and more than 10,700 accounts affected.

Perhaps the banks don't want known that it was a lot more than B130 million stolen.

I wonder if it was E. Europeans, S. Americans or N. Koreans behind this heist

11 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

How to prove you have not ordered anything?

It’s very unlikely that you will need to prove anything.  I have had my Thai cc scammed overseas in the past and they just “accepted” the challenged charges.  It’s just a poorly written article.

Is this just happening in Thailand, or is it world-wide?

If it is just Thailand then it is hard to believe the banks' media to the effect that it is not their fault.

Edited by Stevemercer

They should upgrade their security systems. Even my bank in Cambodia (ABA) allows users to create a single-use card valid for a specific time window only (for example, 1 hour from the time of card creation) and only for a pre-determined amount (for example, a maximum of $50). After completing the payment, the system discards the card and one can generate a new one later for a new transaction. Easy and safe. All done on the app.

As for my cards in Europe, the feature I appreciate most is geo-locking. On the app one can toggle on or off countries where transactions are to be approved or declined. I have made it a habit to toggle ALL countries off at all times. Just before using the card, I simply toggle on "Thailand" and toggle it back to off after a withdrawal or payment. There is also an option to toggle off, for example, online payments but ATM withdrawals are allowed.

Keep on your toes and you won't lose a cent. Don't give criminals the upper hand. 

Edited by mvdf
  • Like 2

I try to visit my bank once a week pull out what I need then go into my online banking and input the minimum daily amount I can use in the cash machine or debit card which is 10 baht that way i am protecting myself yes it’s an inconvenience but it takes a couple of minutes to do on my mobile 

10 hours ago, smedly said:

There are insiders involved in this particular case simply because a member here who is a victim of this theft has never used his Thai bank issued Debit card not even at an ATM so his card details had to come from a system that holds the data at source - either the bank or the CC company in Thailand

There's always the possibility foreign hackers breached the bank or CC company's systems.

Many months ago a Thai bank debited my Thai credit card with the equivalent of over 900 US dollars  incurred on my card number in the USA even though I was not asked to sanction the amount and I still had my card and it had nothing to do with me. Only after almost a dozen complaints written and by phone -plus several months of anxiety etc- did I eventually get this amount cancelled from my credit card account.

But did the Bank apoligise or explain? 

No way......

Useless!

Edited by homeseeker
  • Like 1

i use  https://www.spamcop.net/  to resolve any emails to verify legit or not 

of course you need to sign up  its free  ....

and you need to know how to get the details from the emails     

Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) -

i used this back when spam was everywhere   .. still use it to confirm 

14 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

How to prove you have not ordered anything?

I'm not sure, but, I was a victim of this crime 3 weeks ago. After contacting the bank, they paid back my money within 5 hours. First they had to do an investigation, but they soon fond out that the withdrawals were fraudulent.

Edited by Kaopad999

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

My funds stolen on 5th October. And not repetative small amounts but 3 large sums.

Have submitted all the reports but 15 days later still no refund. 

Which bank are you with? 
I had money stolen from my K-Bank account 3 weeks ago, but they refunded me 5 hours after reporting it.

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

That just means there was more than B130 million stolen and more than 10,700 accounts affected.

Perhaps the banks don't want known that it was a lot more than B130 million stolen.

I wonder if it was E. Europeans, S. Americans or N. Koreans behind this heist

Don't forget El Salvadoreans:  

11 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Which bank are you with? 
I had money stolen from my K-Bank account 3 weeks ago, but they refunded me 5 hours after reporting it.

Bangkok Bank. Who are certainly dragging their feet. 

Have emailed them to see if they needed anything more and requested a progress report. 

No reply !

33 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

According to the International Press more than 40,000 accounts have been plundered in Thailand and it stinks of an inside job in one of the Banks or Card Center's.

Pal of mine had four amounts stolen from his account on 4th october; went to Bank, usual procedure of blank faces, several staff involved including Manager, Phone calls to Bangkok etc etc.   Bank said 'we will investigate' and meanwhile you should file a Police Report which was done on the same day and since then not a word from anyone, let alone a refund !

Every time i go in a Thai Bank i am amazed how long it takes them to do the simplest job or even to get to a counter; long queues at some Branches in Malls, lousy service, the Teller can only do the very simplest of jobs on their own before getting other Staff members involved, sometimes more than 30 minutes to get a Statement for Immigration or for a Tax Refund.  Their whole Computer system seems a couple of Decades or more out of date and training of Staff appears inadequate, seems obvious they are only interested in big profits and minimum re-investment, especially in 'Customer Service'.

Exactly the same for me.

5th October. 

Police report done and submitted along with other declarations and screenshots of SMS messages, phone call record(to Customer service immediately to cancel the card) and mobile app accounts page showing the deductions. 

Have heard nothing back.

Btw it took Customer Service 34 minutes to answer my call at 2045hrs that day!

• Like 1