Smart TV or not

KannikaP

12 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

The DVDs are brand new, but of Frasier, MASH, Fawlty Towers and older.

So would the picture be any clearer/better if I went above 4K? 

I'll take a DVD with me, as KhunLA suggested.

I don't notice much difference in 1080 HD / 2K / 4K.  You'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in 4k vs 6 or 8k.  Besides, few to none put out media in that format.  Offering more than 4k is simply marketing.   I have cameras and drones that will shoot in 1080 / 2k / 4k, and I rarely bother with 4k, and when I do, render it down to 2k.  More so because the files are so huge to edit.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

one downfall on many a brand of SmartTV with a Browser, has one required to use the Remotes Up Down Arrows to navigate the screen ????  

- hmmm... I wonder, and now will HAVE to try our HiSense to see what happens if one puts a Mouse into the USB?? 

I have a mini keyboard/touchpad thingy, Bht 300 from Lazada. USB connection. Works perfectly.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tifino said:

... but a stupid (non-Smart)TV wouldn't have a USB port...

One of my 2 Samsung flatscreen is  ...a non smart or dumbo ...has usb as he has a build in media player which is used to play media ???? .

Personally i find my other Samsung 49 inch which is a "supposed "smart one a lazy slow one in case of smartnes ????

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't notice much difference in 1080 HD / 2K / 4K.  You'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in 4k vs 6 or 8k.  Besides, few to none put out media in that format.  Offering more than 4k is simply marketing.   I have cameras and drones that will shoot in 1080 / 2k / 4k, and I rarely bother with 4k, and when I do, render it down to 2k.  More so because the files are so huge to edit.

The difference you meet only in your wallet mostly or just in a label ????

Specially with the quality of pattaya cable ????

Smart TVs are the way to go.  No more expensive than non-Smart really.  I'd suggest getting an Android based Smart-TV, especially if you an Android phone.  You can add any app that runs on Android OS, including a VPN app like NordVPN.  They auto-update so you always have the latest Android OS.  Adding a firestick, or any USB, or even a DVD player works well.  I use mine as a monitor during the day, but it also has Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, etc. so me and the wifey can watch TV or movies at night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarryWho said:

Smart TVs are the way to go.  No more expensive than non-Smart really

Smart TVs are generally cheaper than non-smart as the manufacturers will make small margins or even a loss on the TV and make their real profits from selling your viewing history to anybody who wants it.

2 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

The DVDs are brand new, but of Frasier, MASH, Fawlty Towers and older.

So would the picture be any clearer/better if I went above 4K? 

I'll take a DVD with me, as KhunLA suggested.

If you're only watching DVDs then going above 4k will give no benefit. Nor will 4k itself. In fact you wouldn't even need an HD screen to get the best out of a DVD!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

could you put up a link pls? or at least the model number etc ???? 

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Cannot find it. Search  Minikeyboard on Lazada or Invade.

Here's one i bought from Lazada a couple of months ago, i actually bought two one for me and one for a mate. I have'nt used mine to date but my mate has and he reckons its good.

1048700135_AndroidKeyboard.JPG.e2788b131d90cb0e9e47fcdbc9ec148d.JPG

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryWho said:

Smart TVs are the way to go.  No more expensive than non-Smart really. 

About 12 years ago I bought a 42 " smart Samsung TV, never used the smart side, had an android box instead, TV cost me nearly 20k.

Start of the pandemic I decided to buy a new TV, got a 55" Worldtech "dumb" TV for about 8000 baht, with the android box and wireless mouse does the job.

I don't use Wi-fi, have ethernet over power connection, legacy from the Samsung, not as smart as they made out, required a dongle for wi-fi.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tifino said:

one downfall on many a brand of SmartTV with a Browser, has one required to use the Remotes Up Down Arrows to navigate the screen ????  

- hmmm... I wonder, and now will HAVE to try our HiSense to see what happens if one puts a Mouse into the USB?? 

I’ve just bought a TCL smart TV, and connected a wireless mouse to it and it works fine for menu selection etc etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tifino said:

Does anybody know if LOS TV transmissions have all converted up to Mpeg4? 

For terrestrial (old school antenna on the roof)

they use DVBT2   which I believe is still mpeg2 with higher bit rates for "HD" channels ?

Satellite systems there may well be some mpeg4 as well as mpeg2.

Cable companies l believe are DVBT2 as well  as that is what the TV's and set top boxes sold here use...but I think some cable companies supply their own box  so maybe different standards for them( H265 ? ), some cable companies also still provide analogue signals !!! so even the ancient cathode ray tube TV's will work ????

Of course there is also the internet companies providing TV and that will be Internet Protocol TV   which would likely be mpeg4 (H264)  or HVEC (H265)

32 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I found that I could not watch UK telly on an express VPN. Somehow it found out where I lived after a few months.

It's a cat and mouse game between the VPN provider and TV network they block the VPN ip address after a while because they can see abnormally high traffic from that address...so change VPN provider or if they have different UK "servers"  try another server.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tifino said:

ah but wait... since typing my response I had another look at our dumb TV (Sonig Plasma) and it does have a USB Port!! - albeit concealed by a removeable cover 

I have some terrible news.

Fire stick works on the HDMI socket...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, johng said:

For terrestrial (old school antenna on the roof)

they use DVBT2   which I believe is still mpeg2 with higher bit rates for "HD" channels ?

Satellite systems there may well be some mpeg4 as well as mpeg2.

Cable companies l believe are DVBT2 as well  as that is what the TV's and set top boxes sold here use...but I think some cable companies supply their own box  so maybe different standards for them( H265 ? ), some cable companies also still provide analogue signals !!! so even the ancient cathode ray tube TV's will work ????

Of course there is also the internet companies providing TV and that will be Internet Protocol TV   which would likely be mpeg4 (H264)  or HVEC (H265)

DVBT2 can use mpeg2, mpeg4, h264, h265 and others. Depends what the station is putting out. DVB is a telecommunication tv standard and there is a satellite tv standard DVBS2.

• Like 1