Thailand Pass / Sandbox - must stay in departure country for 21 days?

The latest list of 46 countries from which fully vaccinated visitors are eligible for no quarantine specifies that they 'must reside in eligible countries for at least 21 consecutive days' .

I was planning on flying back from Thailand to UK for a week at Christmas but this isn't going to work now. 

Even the sandbox might be unfeasible. They had the 21 day rule before, stating visitors must have been in the departure country for that long.

Is the 21 day rule still in effect for the sandbox scheme? 

Make of this link what you will. all up in the air as usual. if thats ture your fine

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/

• For returning Thais and foreign residents, it is not necessary to be in an approved country for 21 days or more, as long as they are travelling from Thailand to the approved country/s and return within the last 21 days.
Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Make of this link what you will. all up in the air as usual

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/

• For returning Thais and foreign residents, it is not necessary to be in an approved country for 21 days or more, as long as they are travelling from Thailand to the approved country/s and return within the last 21 days.

Foreign resident....?? Not your run of the mill expat then?

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Foreign resident....?? Not your run of the mill expat then?

God only knows, But i read it that if you are living in thailand on a visa and just go to say the UK you can return within 21 days as long as you do not travel to another place. I'd describe myself on a visa as a foreign resident, just not one with permanent residence

• Thanks 1

I questioned this also.  Ran it by the local consulate and they confirmed it.  We were in Portugal on holiday, wanted to visit Turkey.  They said we'd then have to be in Turkey for 21 days and apply from there for the COE.  So...we stayed in Portugal for a month!  Not a bad visit actually.

FYI.  Not sure if they do this, but they can determine where you are from your ip address.

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

God only knows, But i read it that if you are living in thailand on a visa and just go to say the UK you can return within 21 days as long as you do not travel to another place. I'd describe myself on a visa as a foreign resident, just not one with permanent residence

Foreign resident could be open to interpretation but presumably it would include non-immigrant visas. 

There has been a 21 day rule on and off ever since they had different quarantine options. 7-10 day, sandbox, etc. It was there to stop people from circumventing the unapproved country list, otherwise people would just fly to an approved country, then apply for entry immediately from the approved country. 

Ive been doing a variation of this for a while now, and you don't need to be physically present in the approved country for 21 days as long as you've never traveled to an unapproved country while you've been away. 

• Like 2

This definition of residence fits what they mean.

image.png.c78c96ab9ef1b9f556f8640e369f1159.png

It could be about anybody staying here that leaves for short trip to visit family, apply for a visa, business and etc.

There are no listed countries requirement for the sandboxes. That was done away with some time ago.