Emirates health insurance accepted for OA Visa?

Emirates offers a package that seems to good to be true and is valid for up to a year!

• Up to USD 500,000 for overseas medical expenses and emergency evacuation.
  • Up to USD 7,500 if your trip is cancelled due to contracting COVID‑19 or for other reasons named in the policy.
  • Up to USD 7,500 if your trip is cancelled or cut short if the school year is extended due to COVID‑19 beyond the departure date, and you or a relative is a full‑time teacher, full‑time employee, or a student at a primary or secondary school.
  • Up to USD 7,500 if your trip is cut short due to you or a relative* falling ill overseas, including contracting COVID‑19, and you need to return home.
  • Up to USD 7,500 if you have to abandon your travels for failing a COVID‑19 test or medical screening at the airport.
  • USD 150 per day, per person for up to 14 consecutive days if you test positive for COVID‑19 and are unexpectedly placed into mandatory quarantine while overseas.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance/

Has anyone sucessfully used the emirates insurance to get an OA or O visa? The insurance package is even better then Hanse Merkur in my home country Germany and is free of charge besides the price of the flight.

Edited by stat

The Emirates insurance (which is, indeed, excellent) is accepted for Covid insurance. However, I cannot see it being accepted for the general medical insurance demanded for an O-A or Non O (retirement) visa from an embassy. On the other hand, at the current time, all the general health insurance requirements can be avoided (by those from first world countries) by entering as a tourist and switching to a retirement visa/extension once in the country. It is anyone's guess how long that will remain the case.

Edited by BritTim

I'm hearing there are some limitations not listed that are being reported. Your ticket must be round-trip from what I've heard and there are limits on length of coverage and a couple people reported claims issues if the person is a "resident" of the country they are flying into if they are use its "travel insurance"  so ask questions to make sure 

6 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Your ticket must be round-trip from what I've heard and there are limits on length of coverage

Round trip = covered for full length of trip, one-way ticket = 31 days coverage. Very reasonable IMO.

---

I see no reason why it wouldn't be accepted for O-A or O.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Round trip = covered for full length of trip, one-way ticket = 31 days coverage. Very reasonable IMO.

---

I never said it won't be accepted but there are limitations. The 1 way ticket coverage ends 48 hours after arrival at destination. 

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I never said it won't be accepted but there are limitations.

I never said you did, hence the line break after replying to your post.

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The 1 way ticket coverage ends 48 hours after arrival at destination. 

No it doesn't it, as I already stated, the important coverage lasts 31 days. 

6. What is the duration of this coverage if I have a one-way ticket?

For one-way tickets, the following benefits end 31 days after your arrival at your final destination outside of your country of residence:

x Emergency Medical Expenses

x Emergency Medical Evacuation/Transportation expenses

x Emergency Dental Treatment

x Repatriation of Mortal Remains

x Hospital Daily Cash Benefit

x Overseas Quarantine Allowance

All other benefits will expire 48 hours after you arrive at your final destination outside of your country of residence.

https://c.ekstatic.net/ecl/documents/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance-faqs.pdf?h=_4vFoemLSIMxG_zq0fsk6g

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Salerno said:

For one-way tickets, the following benefits end 31 days after your arrival at your final destination outside of your country of residence:

All other benefits will expire 48 hours after you arrive at your final destination outside of your country of residence.

https://c.ekstatic.net/ecl/documents/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance-faqs.pdf?h=_4vFoemLSIMxG_zq0fsk6g

The Emirates insurance works fine when applying for visa. Its been tested first hand. Both covid and medical.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paahlman said:

The Emirates insurance works fine when applying for visa. Its been tested first hand. Both covid and medical.

Quoting myself here.. Remember to send off an email to AIG which they use to get the policy.. The ticket alone is not enough proof of insurance.. 

• Like 2

1. OA Visa application requires compliant Health insurance for the duration of the Visa(1 year).

2. The Insurance Company that provides insurance coverage for Emirates Passengers I believe is based in Europe.  If this is true then a “Foreign Insurance Certificate” is required with signature(s) from Insurance Company upper management. 

If these two conditions can be met then a Thai Embassy or Consulate should be able to accept the Emirates Insurance coverage for the OA Visa Application.  

2 hours ago, paahlman said:

Quoting myself here.. Remember to send off an email to AIG which they use to get the policy.. The ticket alone is not enough proof of insurance.. 

Yes the Emirates insurance is certainly ok for COE, I used it a couple of weeks ago

Isn't the OA visa a 12 month visa and I would have thought that the insurance would have to cover the term of the visa, ie 12 months.

The Emirates insurance is only valid for the duration of the ticket and I think you would  have a problem getting a ticket to span 12 months. 

Not that long ago I tried to convert one of my vouchers into a flight about 13 months ahead but the Emirates calendar wouldn't allow it, only went about 11 months ahead, I ended up having to wait a few months and then do it.

I am not saying it is out of the question but I think a bit more involved than just down to the cover provided.

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

2. The Insurance Company that provides insurance coverage for Emirates Passengers I believe is based in Europe.  If this is true then a “Foreign Insurance Certificate” is required with signature(s) from Insurance Company upper management. 

The certificate is under the umbrella of AIG but the policy is underwritten by American Home Assurance Company (Dubai Br).

10 hours ago, Salerno said:

Forward thinking airline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could try to book return ticket to Dubai in 1 year and the reenter Thailand. Money well spend if the insurance is accepted. My problem is that the embassies here in Germany are not answering telephone or email... Thanks for all the answer I will try to get the OA with emirates if I can get confirmation within 1 week from the embassy!

19 hours ago, Dan O said:

I'm hearing there are some limitations not listed that are being reported. Your ticket must be round-trip from what I've heard and there are limits on length of coverage and a couple people reported claims issues if the person is a "resident" of the country they are flying into if they are use its "travel insurance"  so ask questions to make sure 

No travel insurance pays if Thailand is your residence. Just bought one in Austria and I was explicitly asked about where my "home" is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Salerno said:

I'm just applying for an O-visa.

The requirements state:  (Attach) Proof of insurance cover letter (minimal coverage 40,000 baht for outpatient and 400,000 baht for inpatient, during entire stay in Thailand)

The Emirates documentation refers to Medical coverage, with nothing excluding outpatient.   The only time the word "outpatient" shows up in the entire 31 page policy document is with this quote:

" Please note: This is not private medical insurance. If You go into Hospital abroad and You are likely to be kept as an inpatient for
more than 24 hours or if
Your outpatient treatment is likely to cost more than £300, You or someone acting on Your behalf must
contact the Assistance Department immediately. If
You/they do not, We may provide no cover, or We may reduce the amount We
pay for medical expenses."

That implies outpatient is covered as well, but whether it is explicit enough for an O-visa is TBC.    I e-mailed AIG again and they said they provide coverage to $500,000 and don't distinguish between inpatient and out patient.   No place to attach a second document, but I have this in case they query  the insurance. 

I'm sure my insurance will meet the separate covid COE/Travel Pass rules, but getting an O-visa is the first step.

5 hours ago, jaizan said:

'm just applying for an O-visa.

The requirements state:  (Attach) Proof of insurance cover letter (minimal coverage 40,000 baht for outpatient and 400,000 baht for inpatient, during entire stay in Thailand)

You only need 90 days of insurance for the non-o visa based upon retirement.

You could try submitting the insurance that you have to see if the accept it.

Another option is to enter visa exempt and then apply for a non-o visa for retirement at immigration. No need for insurance and the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Letseng said:

No travel insurance pays if Thailand is your residence. Just bought one in Austria and I was explicitly asked about where my "home" is.

When you APPLY you must reside in another country, when you change residence thereafter it is ok. I explictly asked Hanse Merkur about this.

Some people and their 100% cocksure answers make me wonder on the state of mind of some people.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Letseng said:

"Residence" is a funny concept. Most of us will never be permanent residents in Thailand & a pink card & yellow book don't change that.

More applicable might be where one's income taxes are paid, in one's home country or Thailand.

I don't own anything in thailand but maintain a home in Canada.

Insurance corpos didn't get so rich by paying out.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, sqwakvfr said:

1. OA Visa application requires compliant Health insurance for the duration of the Visa(1 year).

If these two conditions can be met then a Thai Embassy or Consulate should be able to accept the Emirates Insurance coverage for the OA Visa Application.  

Grab a O visa and expand it inside thailand. Easier and it is also easier to get a 9 months insurance then than a year first hand.(if no covid insurance is needed qatar also has one that should work) However.. There is no requirement to insurance right now from inside thailand. There will be next year it is said. If you apply from your embassy it is a requirement , but those two differences does not fall in line right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

No seasoning at all? 

If applying for a non-o visa at immigration the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

For a extension of stay application it has to be in the bank for 2 months.

On 10/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Its actually not that difficult.. Or it wasnt that difficult...The insurance is a worldwide cover.. That is sufficient.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Surprising and good to know.Whom did you contact at Emirates to get this signed?

https://www.gqmiddleeast.com/travel-eats/emirates-is-offering-multi-risk-travel-insurance-free-with-all-flights

You have to call their helpline apparently.

ATTENTION: You have to book your flight before Dec 1! Emirates will stop "packaging" their helath insurance for flights booked later then dec 1 according to this report:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/emirates-covid-travel-insurance/

4 minutes ago, jaizan said:

I sent an e-mail to  [email protected]   with the flight tickets attached.       I got a signed pdf of the insurance back about 90 minutes later.    I attached that to the O-visa application.

Thanks a lot for the info! Was there any mentioning of the cover period in the certificate from AIG (date of return flight for example)? I would like to use it for a 1 year visa and will book a dummy flight with Emirates to Hong Kong as late as possible to get the 1 year max period. At the moment you can not book 1 year in advance with Emirates.