Pattaya: Calls for public beach toilets as long weekend tourist expectations fall short

webfact

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

In any other Beachside Resort around the World, Public Conveniences are strategically placed as part of the Infrastructure, and well maintained.

These kinds of things are just taken for granted by Tourists, who expect these kind of facilities to be in place, and that they do not need to looking for a Toilet to use and be charged 10 Baht for the privilege of being able to use a stinking facility up a side street.

And not just along the Beach road area should Public Toilets be available.

Most of the time in Thailand all public , bar and restaurant toilets are a disgrace and not cleaned or maintained as are many major road service stations . Often no soap or drying paper and taps that do not work , broken toilet seats and cisterns . The country seems to not have any control on hygiene standards. The exceptions  maybe if you stay in a decent hotel  or visit the main airports .  

51 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

n any other Beachside Resort around the World, Public Conveniences are strategically placed as part of the Infrastructure, and well maintained.

As far as I know there was/is only one "public" toilet along Pattaya beach and that was at the Walking street end  near the smelly pumping station there was/is also one at the Bali Hai pier building  both charged  a small fee for the "convenience" 

Of course there are free conveniences in the shopping malls  and when the bars where open they often  had a convenience too.

In the news reports of the latest and greatest Pattaya beach overhaul  they mention underground public toilets which I don't think will get built after they realise that they will be flooded  often when it rains !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Perfect! No need for hand washing stations.   I witnessed many Thais not washing up after the toilet.  Just the other day I seen a employee  of a store in Central Marina,  we will not name the store, but it rhymes  with Hini so, dealing in novice items like airplane pillows.  So this employee  comes out of the toilet stall, obviously was defecating,  and didnt bother to wash.  Went right to work, as I followed him,(if he worked food no way would i go there again) he walked  into the shop no alcohol  solution and started putting his dirty hands on airplane pillows tgat people will be putting on their face.  Point is whats the point of toilets  when many treat everything  like a loilet?

Why say "Thais"? Do you think Thais wash less than non-Thais, I don't. 

Can't wait until I retire and can hang out in public toilets watching who doesn't  wash, then following them to see where they go. 

And by the way, there is a water gun in the cubicle. Next time, before defaming store defecators, you might want to peak over the wall to be sure.  

Edited by Neeranam
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Do what the Chinese do; take a Dump or Pee on the Beach or in the Sea, no big deal they will tell you !

Good luck to Khun Prasit trying to sell the majority of tourists to Pattaya, the Chinese, a beach chair in the future.  

6 hours ago, superal said:

Most of the time in Thailand all public , bar and restaurant toilets are a disgrace and not cleaned or maintained as are many major road service stations . Often no soap or drying paper and taps that do not work , broken toilet seats and cisterns . The country seems to not have any control on hygiene standards. The exceptions  maybe if you stay in a decent hotel  or visit the main airports .  

I've been all over Thailand and almost all the toilets I've used, whether in restaurants, service stations or pay toilets near bars have been clean. Complete opposite to my home "first world" country where the majority of public toilets stink, are filthy, half the toilets have unflushed <deleted> or <deleted> all over the seat etc.. I do agree about the no paper or no soap but I do as the Thais do and use the cistern of water and I have antibacterial spray with me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

50 thb per person.   Not true, everyone knows they charge 100 thb a person  even to local nationals.   Good thing people are getting  smart and often pack something  to sit on on the beach rather than pay the silly chair price, on unsanitary things. 

It is 50 for a deckchair, 100 for a lounger on both Pattaya and Jomtien beaches. City Hall cap the prices.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, johng said:

there was/is also one at the Bali Hai pier building  both charged  a small fee for the "convenience" 

I wonder often if the guy or girl collecting the money for using these vile facilities has any connection to those supposedly maintaining or operating them? Or it is some mafia or opportunist type pocketing the money... like as is often the case with free parking.

17 hours ago, Screaming said:

I would have to agree, Pattaya is one big toilet. Why build a new one when you already have one.

I didn't know Pattaya had been officially downgraded from a cesspit to a toilet.  I would have expected an intermediate ranking of at least an open sewer before such a serious demotion to that of a mere toilet.

For clarity, I reside in the cesspit and love it for both what it is, and what it isn't.

And back on topic - the lack of public toilets can be great entertainment.  Nothing funnier than sitting in a Beach Road bar and watching an ageing philanthropist mincing his way from the beach to the bar wearing his bathers, dangerously dodging scooters and song-taeows with that "I'm on a mission" look on his face.

He yells out "elephant" to the staff as he heads towards the pristine facilities of the establishment, emerging 20 minutes later to his (by then) warm beer and muttering about no loo paper.  A discussion promptly ensues regarding the benefits and pitfalls of bum guns, imodium, charcoal, and antibiotics.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I've been all over Thailand and almost all the toilets I've used, whether in restaurants, service stations or pay toilets near bars have been clean. Complete opposite to my home "first world" country where the majority of public toilets stink, are filthy, half the toilets have unflushed <deleted> or <deleted> all over the seat etc.. I do agree about the no paper or no soap but I do as the Thais do and use the cistern of water and I have antibacterial spray with me.

Totally agree.  Much better than the horrors in the US.  And, let's not even talk about Europe--where it's sometimes a challenge to even find a toilet.

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

Totally agree.  Much better than the horrors in the US.  And, let's not even talk about Europe--where it's sometimes a challenge to even find a toilet.

Yeah I can imagine. Almost all Thai toilets have a drain unlike western toilets, so it's so much easier to just spray the whole thing down while cleaning.

18 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

In any other Beachside Resort around the World, Public Conveniences are strategically placed as part of the Infrastructure, and well maintained.

These kinds of things are just taken for granted by Tourists, who expect these kind of facilities to be in place, and that they do not need to looking for a Toilet to use and be charged 10 Baht for the privilege of being able to use a stinking facility up a side street.

And not just along the Beach road area should Public Toilets be available.

Been to London recently? I went about 4 years ago and had to pay maccers to be able to use their loo. A tourist city like that and the public toilets mostly closed- disgusting, and shame on the mayor for allowing it.

12 minutes ago, Thujone said:

So is the idea that you fire one into that from a distance?

????

The original was known as a 'desert rose'. It had a funnel top and with a good sprinkle of DDT arond it served two purposes. Pee went about 12" to 18" under the surface and the DDT killed off the flies searching for moisture.

????????

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Been to London recently? I went about 4 years ago and had to pay maccers to be able to use their loo. A tourist city like that and the public toilets mostly closed- disgusting, and shame on the mayor for allowing it.

Sad but it's a sign of the times.  Public toilets classed as a security risk because of the crazies with bombs etc.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:22 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

50 thb per person.   Not true, everyone knows they charge 100 thb a person  even to local nationals.   Good thing people are getting  smart and often pack something  to sit on on the beach rather than pay the silly chair price, on unsanitary things. 

Yes it is 50 baht or even 40 for a chair and always has been. 100 baht is for the beds. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, WEBBYB808 said:

I live here.  I see it everyday.  A Thai friend of mine came to visit with their child.  I was in another  province over night.  The friend  and child both Thai, went to the beach to sit and relax.  I get a shocking  message that the cost to sit was 100 thb each and the same for the child.  I said welcome to the club.  Your countrymen  look for every opportunity to get over on any and everyone.    It doesn't matter which beach, the ones on beach road, the ones bu the outdoor  fish market in Naklua,  or Jomtien  they all want 100thb.

40/50 baht to rent a chair along all the beaches u have just mentioned, and 100 to rent a bed for  the day.