Pattaya: Calls for public beach toilets as long weekend tourist expectations fall short

webfact

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported from Pattaya saying that the famed resort was not very busy.

And certainly not as busy as you might expect on a four day long weekend after the government declared that from 21st to 24th October.

Cars were traversing beach road, they said, but there were few people on the deckchairs.

Deckchair vendor Prasit,54, said it was better than recently but still not what you'd expect on a long weekend. Most were locals with few from Bangkok or further afield.

He charges 50 baht per person but said when a family of six came he couldn't charge 300 baht and had to give in to their requests for a discount.

Still he was making 500-1000 baht a day which wasn't too bad and enabled him to keep his head above water.

1634895379745-1024x575.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He said that the public spoke with one voice about Pattaya beach - it needed public toilets. As it is it is very inconvenient. He implored the authorities to do something about that.

At Bali Hai there were also fewer tourists than expected.

1,600 crossed to Koh Larn on Thursday and 1,300 yesterday.

Normally on a long weekend it would be expected that 3,000-5,000 tourists would make the trip daily to the island that lies off the Pattaya coast. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-10-23

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

50 thb per person.   Not true, everyone knows they charge 100 thb a person  even to local nationals.   Good thing people are getting  smart and often pack something  to sit on on the beach rather than pay the silly chair price, on unsanitary things. 

Edited by WEBBYB808
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

New business venture anyone ?

1,795 Portaloo Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

Perfect! No need for hand washing stations.   I witnessed many Thais not washing up after the toilet.  Just the other day I seen a employee  of a store in Central Marina,  we will not name the store, but it rhymes  with Hini so, dealing in novice items like airplane pillows.  So this employee  comes out of the toilet stall, obviously was defecating,  and didnt bother to wash.  Went right to work, as I followed him,(if he worked food no way would i go there again) he walked  into the shop no alcohol  solution and started putting his dirty hands on airplane pillows tgat people will be putting on their face.  Point is whats the point of toilets  when many treat everything  like a loilet?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Perfect! No need for hand washing stations.   I witnessed many Thais not washing up after the toilet. 

It's like that old saying, you can lead them to water but can't force them to drink it, that said, who knows they might actually drink from the hand basin thinking that is what it's therefore ????

Wife and I always carry a small plastic bottle of soap and some hand sanitizer, I suppose we are what you call hygienic, but then again, we were educated at school, not to drink from the same cup where you get your water from, albeit it at school or the back of a bus, that said, we rarely eat out unless we can see the kitchen and who is cooking what we are going to eat, as we have seen cooks in the past go to the toilet and not wash their hands afterwards, regardless if it's a cooked meal we won't eat it, that said, it's been many years since we were put on drips for food poisoning.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0832/0437/products/Portable-Toilets-Laguna-inside_grande.jpg?v=1614752699

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that the public spoke with one voice about Pattaya beach - it needed public toilets. As it is it is very inconvenient. He implored the authorities to do something about that.

Makes sense, everything has gone to s**t so build more toilets.

19 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

They were hoping to attract 25000 officials and their massive bu.ll.sh..

Why attract officials, surely their superior's can order them to go or provide incentives to do so.

But who wants to go to the beach when it is raining anyways.

Edited by Ralf001

The thing is many people used to visit the local open air bars and use their facilities, but the government in their wisdom have closed all of these places hence the problem - Open the bars and let a little normality back into peoples lives. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

What did you observe to come to that conclusion ?

He had the poohpooh on his hands, didnt wash, and went to putting his hands on merchandise that would be onvthe consumers face...  seems evereywhere is a toilet when people arent taught hygiene  nor do employers encourage or deem their employees  to wash up after

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

I though chair prices were capped at 30bt a few years back.

I live here.  I see it everyday.  A Thai friend of mine came to visit with their child.  I was in another  province over night.  The friend  and child both Thai, went to the beach to sit and relax.  I get a shocking  message that the cost to sit was 100 thb each and the same for the child.  I said welcome to the club.  Your countrymen  look for every opportunity to get over on any and everyone.    It doesn't matter which beach, the ones on beach road, the ones bu the outdoor  fish market in Naklua,  or Jomtien  they all want 100thb.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

He had the poohpooh on his hands, didnt wash, and went to putting his hands on merchandise that would be onvthe consumers face... 

What merchandise was available in the toilet ?

Thinking you are either telling porky pies or you spend way too much time in public toilets.

• Like 2