Three teachers suffer only minor injuries after their car plummets off the side of Si Racha hill, driver blames brake failure

Jonathan Fairfield

247369291_415073916667831_4424747749718724668_n.jpeg

Three teachers from Samut Prakan have sustained only minor injuries after their sedan fell from a hill while they were heading to a temple in the Si Racha district Thursday afternoon (October 21st).

Emergency responders were notified of the accident at 1:00 P.M. on Phra Kru Hill in the Surasak sub-district.

First response teams arrived at the scene to find the overturned sedan seven meters down from the hill off the road. Three people inside the sedan had luckily sustained only minor injuries. All three were taken to a local hospital for a check-up.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/23/three-teachers-suffer-only-minor-injuries-after-their-car-plummets-off-the-side-of-si-racha-hill-driver-blames-brake-failure/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Haha 2

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

Not necessarily.

I had an Audi Quatro many years ago - one of the first with anti-lock braking.

Every now and again, when I braked, the car would try to spin round. I took it to the garage a couple of times but they could not find a fault.

One morning, whilst driving down a steep hill, I braked and the car spun and ended up on its roof, in a ditch.

I told the (same) garage what had happened.

A couple of weeks later the garage called me and complained about my 'dangerous' car.

Apparently, after fixing it, they took it for a test drive.

Wham! Almost wrote it off. Needed a new body shell after their accident.

A more detailed investigation into the brakes showed that on one side of the car, the brakes were locking up now and again.

I worked on a Camaro Z28 that did similar, the cause was a front brake hose had expanded internally, near blocking of fluid movement, it was quite scary on the test drive...????

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not necessarily.

I had an Audi Quatro many years ago - one of the first with anti-lock braking.

Every now and again, when I braked, the car would try to spin round. I took it to the garage a couple of times but they could not find a fault.

One morning, whilst driving down a steep hill, I braked and the car spun and ended up on its roof, in a ditch.

I told the (same) garage what had happened.

A couple of weeks later the garage called me and complained about my 'dangerous' car.

Apparently, after fixing it, they took it for a test drive.

Wham! Almost wrote it off. Needed a new body shell after their accident.

A more detailed investigation into the brakes showed that on one side of the car, the brakes were locking up now and again.

There are always exceptions to the rule, however this car is not an Audi Quatro also no reports of the car spinning therefore possibly not relevant to this issue

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nkg said:

Brakes seem to fail much more often in Thailand than in any other country ... excuses-wise, it's up there with "the dog ate my homework" ????

'If' any of the Brake Failure stories are true then lack of proper Maintenance will be a factor too.   Majoroty of Thai's stop taking their Vehicle for Maintenance after the first 'free' service; they usually wait until it stops, something breaks, or falls off before they go near a Garage !

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, bbko said:

This part made me laugh;

“Two teachers decided to get out of the car to lower the weight to attempt to help the car climb the hill. However, it backfired somehow and we had a brake failure, causing us to go backwards off the side of the hill."

Made me laugh too, must have been some porky teachers living a fine life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nkg said:

Brakes seem to fail much more often in Thailand than in any other country ... excuses-wise, it's up there with "the dog ate my homework" ????

In combination that could be "The dog chewed the car wiring causing a short circuit to the brakes which failed".....

• Like 1

obviously not driving teachers then…..if footbrake fails use handbrake to slow vehicle at low speeds….might have been speeding or poor driving as should be entering road bends at correct transition speed without braking….possibly brakes failed through lack of scheduled maintenance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Well, serious brake fade could have happened if they kept their foot on the brakes for a very long period instead of using the engine and gears to reduce the need for excessive brake pressure..

I wonder if drivers have any concept of using the engine and lower gears to reduce speed downhill. From observation these years, the accelerator pedal is the favorite option.

2 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I wonder if drivers have any concept of using the engine and lower gears to reduce speed downhill. From observation these years, the accelerator pedal is the favorite option.

Think most cars are auto, and they don't know about it having a low gear selection...????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:
6 hours ago, transam said:

Well, serious brake fade could have happened if they kept their foot on the brakes for a very long period instead of using the engine and gears to reduce the need for excessive brake pressure..

Keeping their foot on the brake for a long period? Brake fade?

Did you not read the full story? They were going uphill at the time of the accident.

It was clearly a very steep hill because two of the passengers had to get out. It sounds to to me as the car stalled on a very steep hill and yes, the brakes do fail don't they because there is no pressure assistance from the engine.

Thais are, in general not used to driving on steep hills and driver just didn't know how to handle the situation.

Many years ago I had a brake failure descending a long hill in Malaysia. I recognised it as overheating brake fade and used the gears and handbrake to stop.

I now take care to teach my younger relatives the technique.

The technique is not taught in Thailand and is unknown to every Thai driver (and a few falang) that I  have spoken to. Almost all the cars in Thailand have automatic transmission but it is still possible to select a lower ratio and using the handbrake, stop the car.

I am old-fashioned and drive a car with a manual gearbox.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

Many years ago I had a brake failure descending a long hill in Malaysia. I recognised it as overheating brake fade and used the gears and handbrake to stop.

I now take care to teach my younger relatives the technique.

The technique is not taught in Thailand and is unknown to every Thai driver (and a few falang) that I  have spoken to. Almost all the cars in Thailand have automatic transmission but it is still possible to select a lower ratio and using the handbrake, stop the car.

I am old-fashioned and drive a car with a manual gearbox.

yeah I drive a manual one as well but then again my car is 26 years old