Three teachers suffer only minor injuries after their car plummets off the side of Si Racha hill, driver blames brake failure

Jonathan Fairfield

20 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

There are always exceptions to the rule, however this car is not an Audi Quatro also no reports of the car spinning therefore possibly not relevant to this issue

I suspect brakes not even relevant to the issue......just the excuse being used for driving without due care and attention or excessive speed. 

• Thanks 1

It would be interesting to know if the car had manual transmission; if so, it is easy to understand how it rolled backwards under the control of a driver who had never been taught the hill start. Even in an automatic car, drivers lacking experience of driving up (and down) steep hills can get into difficulty. On more than one occasion here, I have had to take over the driving on hilly terrain from a driver used only to the flat (such as Samut Prakan, where these teachers came from). Alternatively, as I note they were on a religious trip, maybe it was an 'Act of God'.

20 hours ago, seajae said:

after reading the full version it would appear that they didnt have brake failure but rolled backwards down the hill after stopping to let 2 people get out, more than likely the driver stalled the car while it was in neutral without the hand brake on or foot on the brake, only way it can roll backwards

That was my conclusion too after reading the full account. This scenario would, in fact explain the apparent 'brake failure' as well. With the engine stalled, there would be no power assistance to the footbrake pedal making it very heavy to press.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect brakes not even relevant to the issue......just the excuse being used for driving without due care and attention or excessive speed. 

I am wrong in this case. I should have read the link and Pattaya News report. Sounds like he couldn't handle a steep incline... been there, but I have a manual, and it's diesel truck.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That garbage wouldn't explain why dealer service centres in normal times are, generally, very busy...with Thai customers.

True enough.... although most look like newer vehicles. I am certainly kept waiting every service.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 10/24/2021 at 1:02 PM, trainman34014 said:

Majoroty of Thai's stop taking their Vehicle for Maintenance after the first 'free' service; 

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That garbage wouldn't explain why dealer service centres in normal times are, generally, very busy...with Thai customers.

The loss of warranty cover and the subsequent risk of a high repair bill should be enough to persuade owners to comply with the scheduled maintenance requirements.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The loss of warranty cover and the subsequent risk of a high repair bill should be enough to persuade owners to comply with the scheduled maintenance requirements.

Providing the service is 'free'...... but don't people at least have to pay for parts used? As said, whenever I have taken my old truck to the dealers for a service, there are plenty of locals having new looking vehicles done. Many  look like company vehicles too. 

• 2 weeks later...