Chiang Mai might delay opening on Nov 1

EricTh

How things only can go south more... There is quite a few location specific tourists, can imagine how frustrating it would be if you planned everything in Chiang Mai or another town, to then hear they close down again or delay reopening.

To also keep in mind most countries had another infection wave after being done vaccinating most people, so we could still get that one here too. Is gonna be a rollercoaster ride the next months.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

With over 400 cases a day it would be a logical decision. Sorry I forgot that logic is not a consideration. I live in Phayao province and a local nightclub in Muang Phayao employed a DJ from Bangkok. Surprise surprise he was positive to Covid. Now we are in the <deleted>

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Let me guess... fixed income?

Please explain how foreigners who are double vaxxed and double negative would pose a danger.

What are you talking about? Your statement is totally is illogical.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Please explain how foreigners who are double vaxxed and double negative would pose a danger.

It's not that foreigners would pose a danger. Rather, it's the relaxation of rules in a population that still has low levels of vaccination.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is a report on BP (which is not allowed to be linked) that there is a surge of 461 cases in Chiang Mai.

There are calls to delay the opening to December

As a comparison Phuket had a surge in local infections but remained open... 

One would assume Chiang Mai/Hua Hin and any other province will elect to do the same.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

It's not that foreigners would pose a danger. Rather, it's the relaxation of rules in a population that still has low levels of vaccination.

13 hours ago, ripstanley said:

What are you talking about? Your statement is totally is illogical.

The subject of this thread is about delaying the reopening of CM on Nov 1. Obviously (but not obvious enough for some apparently) this is about reopening to foreign arrivals, because it is already open for domestic.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

One would assume Chiang Mai/Hua Hin and any other province will elect to do the same.

It looks like Ching Mai might be restricted to Millionaires only?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arithai12 said:

You've answered your own question : you're a foreigner

Id imagine the only people going to Thailand these days are going to collect their belongings and move out permanently. That place is finished.

I gather the idea is to move the girls into the factories building parts for electric vehicles.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

There are calls from certain quarters  to delay, I am just reporting the news.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

The subject of this thread is about delaying the reopening of CM on Nov 1. Obviously (but not obvious enough for some apparently) this is about reopening to foreign arrivals, because it is already open for domestic.

As part of the opening curfew rules will be relaxed in Chiang Mai. So it's not just about letting in foreign tourists.

• Confused 1

You keep locking up and delaying it you will never open. Need to get back to normal now, not in 1 month, 3 months 6 months or a year. Now. 

Thailand - and the world - is now needlessly destroying their economies and the kids are going to be so poor in the future they will condemn these lockdowns and debt building

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cape said:

Id imagine the only people going to Thailand these days are going to collect their belongings and move out permanently. That place is finished.

I gather the idea is to move the girls into the factories building parts for electric vehicles.

Good, you can go with your disparaging remarks and find somewhere else to visit. I think they’re waiting for you in patong 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

It looks like Ching Mai might be restricted to Millionaires only?

It's gonna be a cold, cold Christmas without you
Dreaming of those warm, warm, lazy summer days
It's gonna be a long and lonely Christmas without you
Missing you, my darling
In oh, so many ways

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand - and the world - is now needlessly destroying their economies and the kids are going to be so poor in the future they will condemn these lockdowns and debt building

But the rich are all that much richer. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

As part of the opening curfew rules will be relaxed in Chiang Mai.

What curfew rules in CM?

Restaurant hours may be limited in CM but that is not a curfew!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

What curfew rules in CM?

Restaurant hours may be limited in CM but that is not a curfew!

Well, an article published on the 22nd of October in the Bangkok Post about curfews ending in 17 provinces including Chiang Mai says otherwise.

It also said that the maximum number of people permitted to attend public gatherings would be 500. But it doesn't explain what that might encompass.Maybe this is for events like elephant shows and the night safari. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, an article published on the 22nd of October in the Bangkok Post about curfews ending in 17 provinces including Chiang Mai says otherwise.

It also said that the maximum number of people permitted to attend public gatherings would be 500. But it doesn't explain what that might encompass.Maybe this is for events like elephant shows and the night safari. 

Restrictions on gatherings and early closures are NOT curfews!

A curfew is a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night.  

CM has no such restrictions in place at the moment!

Just now, fangless said:

A curfew is a regulation requiring people to remain indoors between specified hours, typically at night.  

Did you not notice the word "also".  Anyway, I think I've given enough data so that finding the article via a search should be easy.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, fangless said:

Just found this article 

Thailand announces reopening rules for tourism reboot

"The capital Bangkok and other top destinations like Pattaya, Hua Hin, Krabi and Chiang Mai, will reopen from Nov. 1 to vaccinated visitors from 45 nations, who must produce negative COVID-19 tests before and after arrival, plus COVID-19 insurance cover of at least $50,000.

Nighttime curfews in those areas will also be lifted."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-announces-reopening-rules-tourism-reboot-2021-10-22/

• Haha 1