Chiang Mai might delay opening on Nov 1

EricTh

29 minutes ago, placeholder said:

curfews ending in 17 provinces including Chiang Mai says otherwise.

I don't care what the articles say! 

You cannot end a curfew that hasn't started!

There was a curfew in CM during the first outbreak but there is no curfew in CM this time around, so far.  

I have lived in Chiang Mai for five years.  Took a one month trip back to the US for vaccination and noticed that nothing has changed.  It does not matter when or if Chiang Mai opens(Nov, Dec or Jan) it will be the same: quiet.  More people are out and living their lives but as for foreign tourists?  Not so much.  Took a domestic flight from BKK to CNX and the aircraft was almost full but over 90% were Thai's. CNX airport has check point  to ensure all domestic arrivals are: 1) Fully Vaccinated 2) A negative PCR test within 72 3) Go to the table and get your nostril swabbed then wait at home for thetest result.  

Foreign Tourists have been mostly absent in Chiang Mai for almost two years and I do not see many coming back anytime soon.  Also, many of the local businesses would have a hard time gearing up to deal with an increase of foreign tourists.  I went into an Amazon Cafe yesterday and there was one girl working behind the counter.  She had to take the orders, take payments, and oh yeah make the drinks.  "Ready for Re-opening"???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Took a domestic flight from BKK to CNX and the aircraft was almost full but over 90% were Thai's. CNX airport has check point  to ensure all domestic arrivals are: 1) Fully Vaccinated 2) A negative PCR test within 72 3) Go to the table and get your nostril swabbed then wait at home for thetest result.  

Must we get two Covid tests even if it is a local flight from BKK to CNX ? I am talking about local tourism. 

Edited by EricTh

EricTh, I should have elaborated on my comments.  It is either 1,2 or3.  Flying from BKK to CNX at the time I flew was more restrictive.  It might be different now because of the surge in cases in CNX. It appears the entry requirements for interprovincial air travel might be dynamic.   Since I had proof of being fully vaccinated(this means your 2nd vaccine shot was more than 14 days ago) then I got the "you go".  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Just found this article 

Thailand announces reopening rules for tourism reboot

"The capital Bangkok and other top destinations like Pattaya, Hua Hin, Krabi and Chiang Mai, will reopen from Nov. 1 to vaccinated visitors from 45 nations, who must produce negative COVID-19 tests before and after arrival, plus COVID-19 insurance cover of at least $50,000.

Nighttime curfews in those areas will also be lifted."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-announces-reopening-rules-tourism-reboot-2021-10-22/

If you’re interested in the local CM news, maybe refrain from reading stuff from the outside, of which I never find reliable. chiangmainews dot co dot th if I want to know what’s going on.

I noticed a lot variable ambiguous assumptions here on this topic.

CNX is closed for international arrivals and departures. CM is open to anyone who is in the country as long as the protocols are met.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

EricTh, I should have elaborated on my comments.  It is either 1,2 or3.  Flying from BKK to CNX at the time I flew was more restrictive.  It might be different now because of the surge in cases in CNX. It appears the entry requirements for interprovincial air travel might be dynamic.   Since I had proof of being fully vaccinated(this means your 2nd vaccine shot was more than 14 days ago) then I got the "you go".  

I was thinking of going to Bangkok for a few days and then come back to CM but not keen on paying extra for the Covid tests.

I'm fully vaccinated but I heard that we also need Covid test even if we are fully vax, when coming back to CM so I am confused.

Edited by EricTh

Not sure if the rules have changed but I flew Phuket to Chiang Mai 10 days ago. Fully vaxed with 2 AZ jabs. No tests. Registered with the CM Chana app. Only had to show the SMS for that registration on arrival at CM airport. Although still quiet, the pubs, restaurants and coffee shops seem to be starting to open up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Not sure if the rules have changed but I flew Phuket to Chiang Mai 10 days ago. Fully vaxed with 2 AZ jabs. No tests. Registered with the CM Chana app. Only had to show the SMS for that registration on arrival at CM airport. Although still quiet, the pubs, restaurants and coffee shops seem to be starting to open up.  

But were you quarantined in Phuket before this by coming to Phuket through international flight? That would be different because you are already Covid tested.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, zzaa09 said:

The prime reasons why surges/spike come about is a portion of the respected populations that aren't practicing/observing protocol measures. 

A very simple understanding that many the world over aren't getting - 

Like Israel, leading in vaccinating but yet getting the highest cases after? Or are you confused talking nonsense? It never had and never will have to do with any measures or observing and practicing measures, that never had any effective scientific goal, in the first place.

We still wear masks, even they are ''non-medical'', we eat out drinking coke but a beer would harm us and we have to get home and tuk in to bed early too. We can't visit open air water parks with chlorine water but we can visit chatuchak's central mall with ants full of people. People are simply too stupid.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...