How can i get a thai driving license ?

bluebanana

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"If you have a valid license from your home country + international license..."

Posters need to stop saying this, an International Driving Permit is not required to use an English-language foreign licence to get a Thai licence.

My DLT office (Bang Chak) says the opposite. Then again, my original license is not in English, and I needed to make a flight back to Europe to get the translation.

"...the next one is distance sensing...about 5m away"

The test you refer to is not a "distance test", it is a depth perception test and the markers are not 5 metres away!  The equipment is probably no more than a metre from the  person being tested.

Yes, it's depth perception test. Mine were 4-5 m away from where I was sitting for the reflex test and the foreigner before me had 2 unsuccessful tries before that, which got me worried. Actually the reason I could do it on first try was because of the light reflection on the sticks.

"...you can extend it for 5 years, but need to ... answer exam questions correctly"

No that is not a requirement!  Converting a temporary 2-year licence into a full 5-year licence does not require sitting any examination if you have an accepted foreign licence.

Where is your DLT office? I really want to go there now. The 2 ladies in front of me didn't answer the quiz after watching videos, were refused the queue tickets and had to set up another appointment 2 months later, the last time I was there. Since your office doesn't need anything, it seems I am doing license at the most problematic place in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

"...you can extend it for 5 years, but need to ... answer exam questions correctly"

No that is not a requirement!  Converting a temporary 2-year licence into a full 5-year licence does not require sitting any examination if you have an accepted foreign licence.

Expand  

Where is your DLT office? I really want to go there now.

Sukhumvit, Bangkok.  Area 3, Phra Khanong.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

"If you have a valid license from your home country + international license..."

Posters need to stop saying this, an International Driving Permit is not required to use an English-language foreign licence to get a Thai licence.

My DLT office (Bang Chak) says the opposite. Then again, my original license is not in English,

"..my original license is not in English".

Thanks for confirming what I said..."an IDP is not required to use an English-language foreign licence...".

• Like 1

If would help if the OP would state where he resides or what DLT office he intends to apply. It' apparent from the responses, that there is not a uniform application process for all DLT offices. But for some posters to suggest paying agents etc. for a drivers license seems unnecessary, for the actual time and preparation required to do it yourself.

My experience obtaining a 5 year license last month and my initial 2 year license at the Mueang Surin DLT, differ somewhat from other posters. 

When I applied for the 2 year license they required my passport with copy of photo       and visa pages, yellow book, valid foreign license (US), IDP and medical certificate. The video was required and the color blind, reaction and depth perception tests. 

For the 5 year license they required Thai license, passport with copies, yellow book + residency certificate or pink id card (which I had), medical certificate, color blind and reaction tests.

During both applications, the staff filled out all the processing forms and I signed one form verify that my personal info was correctly spell and my signature for the drivers license imprint.

• Like 1

Just always keep two to five hundred Baht in the car if ever getting stopped by the mafia wearing brown dresses, most of the time it will get you off the hook, if you have been stopped when you are really <deleted>, max five thousand Baht will be the fine, pay the first cop who asks for money, will save you cash and time. Just remember never run over a police relative, things will cost you much more than.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, koratkarlos said:

You must first get a certificate of residency, either at Thai immigration or your embassy. 

Did my renewal today and forgot about that!!!

Had to trek back to immigration where I had just done my 90 day report......aaarrrggghhh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I've been here 15 years and am on my 2nd 5-year license. The first few I did on my own, the last 5-year I hired an agent. I HIGHLY recommend an agent. I did NOTHING regarding gathering all the forms. I paid her money and she picked me up at my condo. We went to the transportation office to make the appointment and had head-of-the-line privileges. She returned me to my condo, and when the day came for the actual tests, she picked me up again with all the forms already filled out and complete. Did the vision and reflex tests, watched the video, got my licenses then she returned me to my condo. If you can afford the extra cost it is WELL worth it.

I find this very strange, I presume you must have a car, what are 'all' the forms did she get your CoE, what is the extra cost for, jumping the Queue ? Can you not drive or read and write ? If you need a medical does she do that for you? So you went there got an appointment and turned up at the appointed time. Just admit you have a crush on your agent.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I find this very strange, I presume you must have a car, what are 'all' the forms did she get your CoE, what is the extra cost for, jumping the Queue ? Can you not drive or read and write ? If you need a medical does she do that for you? So you went there got an appointment and turned up at the appointed time. Just admit you have a crush on your agent.

Yeah . . . no.  You're pretty far off the mark. I DON'T have a car, though I do have a car license for when I need to rent a truck. I don't believe a CoE is needed for any license. If you meant letter of residency, yes, she got that for me, I never had to visit immigration. I can't read nor write as my posting shows (sarcasm). She got the medical for me, I never had to see a doctor. At the time of my renewal, the queue was all the way around the building just to make an appointment, and we skipped all that. While she is easy on the eyes, there are far too many better options and I don't want to muck up the works in our business relationship.

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Yeah . . . no.  You're pretty far off the mark. I DON'T have a car, though I do have a car license for when I need to rent a truck. I don't believe a CoE is needed for any license. If you meant letter of residency, yes, she got that for me, I never had to visit immigration. I can't read nor write as my posting shows (sarcasm). She got the medical for me, I never had to see a doctor. At the time of my renewal, the queue was all the way around the building just to make an appointment, and we skipped all that. While she is easy on the eyes, there are far too many better options and I don't want to muck up the works in our business relationship.

I got my original 2 year license on my own but later hired an agent for the 5 year permits and well worth the expense.
Door to door service, do all the paperwork, put me up front in the queue and yes, my agent is very pretty. A good value. It’s only money. 

Hire the TikTok Agency in Jomtien. You’ll be glad you did. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, magicroundabout said:

I just got my driving licence this morning. I took the following documents. Passport, International driving licence (which I got in the UK), Certificate of Residence ( from immigration), Medical Certificate ( local doctors), Certificate from the online test/video.  When I got there I also had to a eye colour test and reaction test. I'm up in Kalasin so just turned up the DLT centre. All done in 30mins.  Costs were 205baht for licence and 50 baht for the medical Certificate. Ps also needed signed copies of the documents.

Similar for renewal of 5 year licence this week at Sakon Nakhon. Checked with the office first, essentially same-same but slight differences from some. For example, Sakon accept the yellow book for address (as they used to), instead of a letter from immigration.

I did the DLT online video and test at home. A bit weird, I was only asked about 10 questions, spread across the video, then suddenly I got the 'you've passed' screen - I was expecting more questions.

I tried to use the DLT Smart Queue system to book an appointment, but even with my wife's help (she understands smart phones and QR-codes and the like), it failed.

We took a chance and turned up the next day with all docs, hoping to get on the back of the queue. The staff said the Smart Queue didn't work for foreigners yet - which I know is different from the experience of some on here, but I wasn't going to argue.

Licence done in a morning, bit of a wait but no problems. Staff were polite, helpful and apologised for the online system.

I would recommend going 'reasonably dressed'. Perhaps not 007 dinner jacket, but a guy in front of us looked as though he'd just come in from rice picking. The staff lent him a white shirt for the photo! Didn't see if he handed it back.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 1:26 PM, giddyup said:

Didn't say I was going to do it, I already have a 5 year licence (2nd one), just curious if he could actually back up his claim.

friend was quoted 17,000 in pattaya for licence

guy has no existing uk licence , has been driving on a 10 year international one that he bought many years ago, but has now lost

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

guy has no existing uk licence , has been driving on a 10 year international one that he bought many years ago, but has now lost

Quoted by who?

Just now, Will B Good said:

I thought all an international driving license does is verify you have a proper driving license from your home country......it has nothing to do with actually being able to drive??

probably not, but most police dont know anything about foreign or international licences, so just look and say ok, go

but can, or could be bought cheaply on Khoasan road for a few thousand 

• Haha 1

anyone know if is still possible to get an international licence around the Khoasan road area ?

All main driving centres are closed for new driving tests, and the private companies are refusing to allow farangs to learn/take  test , only thais 

On 10/26/2021 at 4:23 AM, LarrySR said:

Why not? Who wants to trudge out there and go thru the rigmarole if you can pay someone else to do it. Unfortunately there was a corruption crackdown and the service is temporarily not available. 

Because you still have to do there and do everything yourself anyway...  so you pay for someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do when obtaining a Driving Licence (if you already hold a licence from your home county) is one of the simplest things do to in Thai officialdom. 

IF someone really needs someone to hold their hand while doing something as simple as getting a Thai Driving licence they are going to struggle in a foreign land !!!... Or they are just bone-idle !

Its not as if you can just sit at home and get someone else do do everything for you, you still have to do the vision / reaction tests etc - an agent may save some time queueing and remove the uncertainty for the more nervous of mind. 

29 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
32 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

I thought all an international driving license does is verify you have a proper driving license from your home country......it has nothing to do with actually being able to drive??

Thats exactly correct Will B Good - This can has been kicked around to death on this forum and the Interntional Licence discussion really needs to be put to bed... 

- There is no such thing as an International Driving Licence. 

- An International Driving Permit accompanies your existing Driving Licence and is a translation (there are 3 types of IDP 1926, 1949 and 1968 - depending on which treaty the country you are visiting has signed - I believe Thailand is a signatory of the 1949 treaty).

That said: IF your national Driving Licence is printed in English Language an International Licence is *not required when converting / applying for a Thai Drivers Licence. 

*Caveat: the Police may still ask for an IDP as they themselves do not know the specifics of the law (I know its the police and they ’should’ - but anyone who’s been here any time knows they just copy what they know of their seniors who have done the same, thus fallacies are passed on). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

anyone know if is still possible to get an international licence around the Khoasan road area ?

All main driving centres are closed for new driving tests, and the private companies are refusing to allow farangs to learn/take  test , only thais 

No such things as an International Licence. 

For most Nations (the UK for sure) an International Driving licence can only be obtained in that country. 

Do you not have a Driving Licence from your home country ?

Unfortunately, Covid-19 has created issues. But, private companies ‘refusing to allow farangs’ seems odd. something lost in translation?, or just shop around to find a company that will accept foreigners, perhaps show proof of vaccination etc - its strange that private companies are refusing money. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

I got my original 2 year license on my own but later hired an agent for the 5 year permits and well worth the expense.
Door to door service, do all the paperwork, put me up front in the queue and yes, my agent is very pretty. A good value. It’s only money. 

Hire the TikTok Agency in Jomtien. You’ll be glad you did. 

How much was the agent... And other than queue jumping what did the agent accomplish that you couldn’t yourself ? (other than eye candy). 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

How much was the agent... And other than queue jumping what did the agent accomplish that you couldn’t yourself ? (other than eye candy). 

I really don’t have any struggles son.
Been here for 30 years, operated a few business ventures, even hold an Amity Certificate (that I got myself) and of course I could go personally to immigration for the paperwork, visit a clinic for the health certificate, drive out there on my motorcycle, make an appointment and wait in line… but…. I didn’t.  Up to you. 
Don’t recall the price but it was trivial.

Of course there are some expats here that cry like a baby if beer goes up 3 bt. and would never dream of paying for a convenience of a bespoke service the agent offers. 

Did you know that copper wire was invented in Pattaya?

Yes, two expats fighting over a penny. 

Edited by LarrySR

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

How much was the agent... And other than queue jumping what did the agent accomplish that you couldn’t yourself ?

Going rate appears to be around 3500 Bht. Queue jumping, pick up and return, all supporting documents (e.g. residence and Dr certificate).

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Going rate appears to be around 3500 Bht. Queue jumping, pick up and return, all supporting documents (e.g. residence and Dr certificate).

Can they get the colour blindness test waived for me? That's where I have issues.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can they get the colour blindness test waived for me? That's where I have issues.

No idea, think they just cut the time issue, you still have to do the tests. Always worth asking I suppose.

I only have an idea of the price as recently looked into it after talking to a friend. He was on about throwing money at an agent for a whole "start up package" starting from landing visa exempt (set up bank, initial longstay conversions/extensions and driving licence) instead of wasting his time running around. If money is no issue can't really argue with him, think the "book price" he was looking at ended up around 15-16K to get all 3 issues sorted (this was without the financial requirements issue, he's happy to drop the money in just doesn't want to deal with the bureaucracy).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My agent got the medical and letter of residency done. I never had to visit a doctor or immigration. That alone was worth the money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LarrySR said:

I really don’t have any struggles son.

Clearly you do, otherwise you’d have no need for the passive aggressive ’son’ comment.... 

Been here for 30 years, operated a few business ventures, even hold an Amity Certificate (that I got myself) and of course I could go personally to immigration for the paperwork, visit a clinic for the health certificate, drive out there on my motorcycle, make an appointment and wait in line… but…. I didn’t.  Up to you. 
Don’t recall the price but it was trivial.

Been here that long and no Yellow book which would allow you to avoid all that ? too much of a struggle, ’son’ ? ????

Of course there are some expats here that cry like a baby if beer goes up 3 bt. and would never dream of paying for a convenience of a bespoke service the agent offers. 

‘Bespoke service’  ???? - thats a new one !!...  ‘bespoke’ !!!... pull the other one... there’s nothing bespoke about someone doing something we can easily do ourselves and charging for it. 

Did you know that copper wire was invented in Pattaya?

Yes, two expats fighting over a penny. 

Totally wrong - it was Scotland.

• Haha 1