How can i get a thai driving license ?

bluebanana

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Been here that long and no Yellow book which would allow you to avoid all that ? too much of a struggle, ’son’ ? ????

Does the agency offer a bespoke Yellow Book service I wonder.  Maybe I should look into that.

You seem VERY upset that I used an agent to get my driver licenses extended? Weird.

Don't pop a vessel dear boy.

Edited by LarrySR

I wonder how people will survive in this country if they need an agent for everything instead of taking matters in their hands and do what others have done before. It can be easy if you go to the respective office and try to ask some polite questions. Nobody will kill you there. At least I am still living after about 25 years here without any agent. Give it a try, it's easy.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 3:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

No such things as an International Licence. 

For most Nations (the UK for sure) an International Driving licence can only be obtained in that country. 

Do you not have a Driving Licence from your home country ?

Unfortunately, Covid-19 has created issues. But, private companies ‘refusing to allow farangs’ seems odd. something lost in translation?, or just shop around to find a company that will accept foreigners, perhaps show proof of vaccination etc - its strange that private companies are refusing money. 

yes, i have 2  UK and 2   Thai licenses

but im not asking for me 

so you say you could never purchase international licences in Bangkok ? 

In Bangkok, used to get 10 year ones, and police never bothered or noticed the incorrect length of it 

Legal ones no, but then like so many things in Thailand, it may, or may not be legal

25 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

yes, i have 2  UK and 2   Thai licenses

but im not asking for me 

so you say you could never purchase international licences in Bangkok ? 

In Bangkok, used to get 10 year ones, and police never bothered or noticed the incorrect length of it 

Legal ones no, but then like so many things in Thailand, it may, or may not be legal

None of them are official or legal of course which could raise insurance questions if involved in an accident.

As you mentioned, the police in Thailand are not bothered as they have no idea... they could be handed a an overseas Sainsbury’s rewards card and they’d probably accept it.

BUT.. IF someone wishes to be ‘legal’ and stick to the specific regulations...  they need a local Driving Licence if here long term. 

If here short term a Home Country Licence IF in English, or if not in English their licence needs to be accompanied with a 1949 Treaty IDP. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Use an agent. We'll worth the money!

BINGO! I used an agent and it made the process very easy-----though, I still had to show my valid California Driver's License, take the color blindness test, the depth perception test, have my reflexes tested, and watch a movie about driver safety. Interestingly, I thought the Department of Land Transport here in Thailand operated just a little more efficiently than the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

• Like 1