14-year-old driver dies in Si Racha motorbike crash, 13-year-old passenger injured

webfact

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, chill out, I was just pointing out cultural differences. 

You said the parents should be jailed, which in my opinion is a stupid thing to say. Thai people value freedom, which includes breaking the odd law, like not wearing a helmet, driving a car aged 16, etc. In your country, people value personal freedom, like not wearing a mask. You should respect others' cultures and as you are probably a foreigner, avoid making judgement on laws we have . Do you think parents in your country should be jailed if they allow their kids to drink alcohol, if they are 1 year under legal age? 

I mentioned old foreigners as you come across as an older person, correct me if I'm wrong. 

I am 51 years young! That´s not considered old in my book. However, who are you to tell me what I should do?

Driving a motorbike or not wearing a helmet.??? Since when did that become part of a culture? Maybe you should call TAT and give them a new slogan for Thailand "Welcome to Amazing Thailand with Beaches, Smiling People & Helmetless Kids on Motorbikes"

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, seajae said:

I did a lot of crazy things growing up that could have cause major damage to myself but we did not drive/ride cars/motorbikes on city streets at 14 or younger(in the bush we did), then again we had parents that were educated and had good parenting skills unlike many thais, I can say that without any animosity/racism because it is true and can be seen every day. We rode bicycles miles to school as well as on weekends to do things, nothing stopping thai kids doing it except they dont like to do anything physical, they are allowed to ride to and from school on motorbikes & thats fine but look at how many ride outside these times and do so without any thought to it being illegal as well as doing so like idiots because their parents dont give a damn, shows just how pathetric some thai parenting can be, no respect or regard for anyone else although there are some that do the right thing by their kids but a lot dont, obviously you are one of them if you even have any kids

Firstly, I empathise with losing a daughter, it's exactly 20 years since I lost my first, but not in such horrific circumstances. .

So it's OK for you to do idiotic things as your parents were educated? 

So country areas in Oz, 14 year old ride motorcycles, hmm. 

Times change and recently my father complained about my smoking in the house and driving with no seat belts in the car back seat, which is funny as he smoked in the car and had no seat belts. 

The fact that you keep on about Australian parents being better than thai ones is simply racist, don't try to hide it. 

My youngest is 14, nearly 15, and she is adding for a car, like her older sister. 

I refuse to let them ride motorcycles but am thinking of getting a car when she is 16. Two of her friends drove cars, aged 14 and are pretty mature, one with doctor parents, the others father is deputy police chief. They are very good parents, in my book. 

Strange how we say other cultures are idiotic just because they are different.. 

All countries have racists, including Thailand. In Thai by the way, and British, and although neither are perfect, I respect them both. 

7 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

And it really is ridiculous to compare their days of bicycle joyriding as kids to kids growing up in SE Asia that are going to school, working and living life, who's entire family have no access to a car.

I grew up in a family without access to a car.... and used a bicycle to go to school, get around and deliver newspapers.... not really ridiculous. I admit I had access to a good public transport network that Thailand may not have in rural areas. 

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I am 51 years young! That´s not considered old in my book. However, who are you to tell me what I should do?

Driving a motorbike or not wearing a helmet.??? Since when did that become part of a culture? Maybe you should call TAT and give them a new slogan for Thailand "Welcome to Amazing Thailand with Beaches, Smiling People & Helmetless Kids on Motorbikes"

50 is old, there's no escaping it. I'm 55. 

I explained the cultural personal values that lead to not following laws. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

50 is old, there's no escaping it. I'm 55. 

I explained the cultural personal values that lead to not following laws. 

So, 50 is old? Really? I am still skate boarding, running on rollerblades. Up with modern technology and programming the future web.

Up to you if you fell like old. Your problem dude!

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, spidermike007 said:

In the US he might have survived due to helmet laws

What???

There are no 'US helmet laws'. Only 18 states have universal helmet laws.

Research before you start spouting off nonsense while people are talking about a dead 14 year old girl. 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I grew up in a family without access to a car.... and used a bicycle to go to school, get around and deliver newspapers.... not really ridiculous. I admit I had access to a good public transport network that Thailand may not have in rural areas. 

And if you had access to a reliable cheap 125 cc scooter, you'd ride it every day

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well you are right but today a 14 year old boy got killed driving a car in Western Australia the passenger was 17 years old

Yes, they die everywhere, and it´s not really a Thai problem. Just that there is a little bit more of it. I guess that goes hand in hand with all other traffic stats.

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

What???

There are no 'US helmet laws'. Only 18 states have universal helmet laws.

Research before you start spouting off nonsense while people are talking about a dead 14 year old girl. 

18 states that enforce the laws are better than one nation that does not. They barely even enforce drivers license laws here. I see 12 year olds driving scooters all the time. Traffic laws are designed to save lives. 

On 10/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Yes, up to 125cc.

15 yr until 18 yr old up to 110 ccm legally with license.

Honda Wave 110 and others.

A quite useless distinction as a 110 ccm almost does 100 km/h without pillion rider.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 10/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Yes, up to 125cc. unfortunately obtaining a licence does not give you instant road sense, and some of these small bikes now can go at a a fair clip. I remember when I was young, yes, a loooong time ago, but a 16 year old was limited to a provisional licence, and you had to ride a moped of no more than 75cc, and it had to have peddles if I remember correctly.

In our village I see children as young as seven or eight who can only just reach the floor on tiptoes riding to the shop to get a beer for Pappa. The saddest thing is that it is only one hundred yards down the road.

"One hundred yards down the Road".

My missus back in her village will do the same to see her friend down the soi. Walk or use the pushbike I bought is not an option.

These days the pushbike gets me out and about.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, Harsh Jones said:

More autocratic police, more regulation and government is not the answer. The parents understood the risks and accepted them. It was an accident. How many miles to 14 year olds ride without problems ? we don't know but SE Asia is a big place

I think it is a good thing that teenagers in Thailand are allowed to expand their personal sovereignty and take some responsibility at this age. Where was I at 14 ? In the hellish suburbs waiting for my parents to drive me around if I wanted to go anywhere. Only in my wildest dreams could I be cruising in the open air to my friends place on a motorcycle at 14.

Wasn't an 'accident' they can be avoided by not hitting a curb, at reportedly high speed.

1 minute ago, roo860 said:

Wasn't an 'accident' they can be avoided by not hitting a curb, at reportedly high speed.

noun. ac·ci·dent | \ ˈak-sə-dənt , -ˌdent , ˈaks-dənt \ Essential Meaning of accident. 1 : a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury

I am sure it was certainly unplanned
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

15 yr until 18 yr old up to 110 ccm legally with license.

Honda Wave 110 and others.

A quite useless distinction as a 110 ccm almost does 100 km/h without pillion rider.

Yes Sir, I was corrected yesterday as it is indeed 110 cc. However, as you quite rightly say they can reach a ton easily.

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Do you know the difference between a moped, an EU-moped and a motorcycle? Doesn´t seem like that. 

here is your full post:

14 year old children are not supposed to drive. Lock the parents up.

I could have included tricycles and yoopalas to demonstrate how nonsensical your post is.

Next up: 14 year old children are not supposed to shoot.

Shoot what? their Nerf gun? rubber arrows?

26 minutes ago, tgw said:

here is your full post:

I could have included tricycles and yoopalas to demonstrate how nonsensical your post is.

Next up: 14 year old children are not supposed to shoot.

Shoot what? their Nerf gun? rubber arrows?

Nah, no problem. If you want to go in that direction, I will not stop any 14 year old in your case.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:28 PM, morrobay said:

ETC. Going through red lights, cars going wrong way in one way traffic, motorbikes going wrong way against traffic, motorbikes on sidewalks and the beach promenade, speeding as in this reckless accident. Try reading the Pattaya news section about these jerks in pickup trucks in order to catch  on your ecceteras 

He has his Thai head on today not his Scottish one, that's why he bangs the drum about prostitution, old farang & Pattaya in general, he doesn't realise that there are normal guys living here who have had nothing to do do with the Pattaya bar/go-go/disco scene, I try to ignore him as he's a supercilious person who probably spent most of his life in the UK.

• Haha 1