14-year-old driver dies in Si Racha motorbike crash, 13-year-old passenger injured

webfact

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Who are you to say what the law should be?

I say lock up all the old foreigners who pay for sex, that's illegal too. 

Idiotic response!

Where did I say what the law should be? I only voiced my opinion how I think it should be. Please explain where I decided what the law should be, or refrain from ungrounded accusations!

If you want to lock up old foreigners who pay for sex, it´s up to you. I only think you are a little bit mean in that case. Why should only old people that pay for sex be locked up? Please answer that to, when you are at it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I think it is a good thing that teenagers in Thailand are allowed to expand their personal sovereignty and take some responsibility at this age.

So why not get proper training and a license to ride and then wear a good helmet? So it is the parents fault, almost entirely. You are not teaching them anything, other than the law doesn't matter. 

Edited by Doctor Tom

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's not just the authorities that carry some blame, Thai society as a whole does.

We know what would happen if there was some sort of crack down, people would object and say the police are being too harsh.  If they started issuing heavy fines to the parents and crushing bikes, it would solve the problem pretty swiftly, but Thai people prefer jumping jacks and push-ups then "on your way now kiddo" as it's a more "Thai" way of dealing with the problem.

No civilians are reporting kids without helmets or children obviously too young to ride, or more than two on a bike, they aren't even cautioning them.  Society plays its part in this.

Agree somewhat?

I say government because it starts at the top the Thai society parents as you call it is the blame but the government enforces regardless if someone gets upset starts with the government who control society to a point.

The Thai government by endorsing the training ground for all this to happen what I call the " Factory of Death " that factory is allowing kids to learn through how to drive by parents this practice continues the bad habits of their driving. The Government allows it because they feel the kids need to get to school but without any restrictions it goes much further than school it is the cause of many of the children social problems in this country because the allowance for schools goes far beyond!

After years of perfecting their bad habits with zero enforcement including the teacher at the government school watching them come in and out of school breaking every rule in the book then expect adults to do get a license and go through the learning process. You allow someone to break the law for years then you expect them to get a license as if after going through the process they actually are going to change. The requirement for a license comes when they have no choice and thinking going through the process driving around in a circle is going to change those habits as soon as they obtain one on the bike and back pedal to the metal down the road. 

It comes down to practice what you preach!

Society and culture because like that for one reason lack of government enforcement which is the police then the courts. A good example is what you see in Seattle and Portland if government allow it and put people in position for it to happen the chances is it is going to happen!  I fully understand Thailand need for this allowance but did anyone ever think to put some restrictions on that allowance? 

Edited by thailand49

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was not looking where she was going and was allowed out on a motorcycle by her parents (who possibly paid for the bike).... 

Sad, tragic even... But, it is quite the social norm for children to be riding around on motorcycles without helmets. 

Blame the parents for letting there kids ride their motorcycles... But blame the police for their culturally ingrained apathy towards enforcing any road safety measures whatsoever. 

For many poorer families in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter) choices are very limited. The motorcycle is often the only form of transport they have and as we know in most of Thailand, bus services are pretty much non existent.  Whilst we can all get very stuffy about children riding motorcycles, you only have to get into close proximity  with any school in Thailand to find hundreds of young teens (and younger), with two or three other kids on board, weaving their way through traffic trying to get to their classes.  Truth is it is the only way they can get there.

Of course in other countries there are all the school buses to do the job but in rural Thailand it doesn't exist, unless it is a private school for the rich kids.  I know, we did that with our boy in Chiang Mai when he was young.

So as in this case you can blame the parents and shout "Lock them up!"  After all they have only lost their child and have to deal with all the guilt that comes with.  And surprisingly in the west we don't tend to lock up parents when their children are killed in road accidents.  Strange that.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Was not looking where she was going and was allowed out on a motorcycle by her parents (who possibly paid for the bike).... 

Sad, tragic even... But, it is quite the social norm for children to be riding around on motorcycles without helmets. 

Blame the parents for letting there kids ride their motorcycles... But blame the police for their culturally ingrained apathy towards enforcing any road safety measures whatsoever. 

Parents and police are indeed equally responsible. The carnage will continue unabated. TIT.

16 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Riding bikes from age 10 in Thailand is the norm though not normally on busy roads but just in the village. The only way to stop this would be proper and fair enforcement of the laws but we all know that will never happen.

And most of the time, its fine. There is some close calls for sure but most of the time , they make it.

It would be dumb to police SE Asian villages like they are western nanny state. Let people make their own choices. Sure, some will die in accidents. Its not like we have completely eliminated motorcycle deaths in the west either

21 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Yeah yeah. They probably were acutely aware of the risks just as anyone who sets foot on a motorcycle ever. Even with a helmet on. But hey. Lets play god and try and legislate all accidents away.

The laws are already in place..... it is policing and attitude to them that is lacking. 

Some may also rightly include parenting attitude.

It's the equivalent of 'don't go playing on the lodge' but worse, 'sure you can take my bike if it means I don't have to put up with you here'. 

8 hours ago, balo said:

Just a normal day in Thailand. Tomorrow another teenager will die.  The government couldn't care less.  

What about personal and communal responsibility ? People should be left to choose if they want to take these risks. Most of the time, its backroads and slow paced stuff and its fine.

5 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

What about personal and communal responsibility ? People should be left to choose if they want to take these risks. Most of the time, its backroads and slow paced stuff and its fine.

Or it could include another vehicle, and person driving responsibly or walking who becomes their victim and sustains injury. 

8 hours ago, dunroaming said:

For many poorer families in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter) choices are very limited. The motorcycle is often the only form of transport they have and as we know in most of Thailand, bus services are pretty much non existent.  Whilst we can all get very stuffy about children riding motorcycles, you only have to get into close proximity  with any school in Thailand to find hundreds of young teens (and younger), with two or three other kids on board, weaving their way through traffic trying to get to their classes.  Truth is it is the only way they can get there.

Of course in other countries there are all the school buses to do the job but in rural Thailand it doesn't exist, unless it is a private school for the rich kids.  I know, we did that with our boy in Chiang Mai when he was young.

So as in this case you can blame the parents and shout "Lock them up!"  After all they have only lost their child and have to deal with all the guilt that comes with.  And surprisingly in the west we don't tend to lock up parents when their children are killed in road accidents.  Strange that.

That's right. Most of the ppl in this thread seem to think they can completely immobilize the population by taking motorbikes away. Strictly enforced registration, license, insurance and helmet laws is akin to taking them away.

Then there's the Boomer point about riding bicycles instead. Motorbikes are cheap , they are sitting right there and they're a million times more practical. And it really is ridiculous to compare their days of bicycle joyriding as kids to kids growing up in SE Asia that are going to school, working and living life, who's entire family have no access to a car.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

That's right. Most of the ppl in this thread seem to think they can completely immobilize the population by taking motorbikes away. Strictly enforced registration, license, insurance and helmet laws is akin to taking them away.

Then there's the Boomer point about riding bicycles instead. Motorbikes are cheap , they are sitting right there and they're a million times more practical. And it really is ridiculous to compare their days of bicycle joyriding as kids to kids growing up in SE Asia that are going to school, working and living life, who's entire family have no access to a car.

What you are saying is true! I speak for myself I don't begrudge Thais for not being able to afford a car since the majority of Thais fall in the lower income range transportation using motorbike although I own a number of vehicles is a great form of transportation I myself put in easily 50 KM a day. I see daily speeding, road rage, death, Thais talking on the phone, using their GPS, riders parents holding their babies all with no helmets doing the best they can with what they have to get through life.

To me it is getting worse not better motorbike driver gravitate not properly checked taking all the bad habits to cars and commercial vehicles instead of hurting and killing themselves it spread to others. Money or no money my final word is do it safely not metal to the pedal untrained!????

18 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Idiotic response!

Where did I say what the law should be? I only voiced my opinion how I think it should be. Please explain where I decided what the law should be, or refrain from ungrounded accusations!

If you want to lock up old foreigners who pay for sex, it´s up to you. I only think you are a little bit mean in that case. Why should only old people that pay for sex be locked up? Please answer that to, when you are at it. 

Wow, chill out, I was just pointing out cultural differences. 

You said the parents should be jailed, which in my opinion is a stupid thing to say. Thai people value freedom, which includes breaking the odd law, like not wearing a helmet, driving a car aged 16, etc. In your country, people value personal freedom, like not wearing a mask. You should respect others' cultures and as you are probably a foreigner, avoid making judgement on laws we have . Do you think parents in your country should be jailed if they allow their kids to drink alcohol, if they are 1 year under legal age? 

I mentioned old foreigners as you come across as an older person, correct me if I'm wrong. 

23 hours ago, seajae said:

Then you have the idiot parents that let their 14 y/o drive cars, the mental abilities of many thai parents is very low as is any parental responsibility, thai education plus the govt are fully to blame as they do not want thais to have the intelligence to think for themselves as it would mean the end of all their graft & corruption. Condolences to the girl but her parents need to face up to their lack of responsibilty too

I guess you have no kids. 

Parents in the UK allow their kids to get drunk when they are 17, actually in Scotland, one can get married and have kids and ride a moped when 16. 

Does this mean the parents are idiotic like Thai parents, jeez what a racist. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

Rather ironic when most Boomers come here to take advantage of Thailand's being a  developing nation, i.e getting young women who come from poor backgrounds and will put up with them for money.  

On 10/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, RafPinto said:

And many here are just lazy to walk 100m.

Why walking if you can take the motorbike.

I was sat outside a coffee shop one morning having my coffee when one of the staff came out and jumped on her bike and rode it less than 50 yards to 7/11 and back, No wonder you are fat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I guess you have no kids. 

Parents in the UK allow their kids to get drunk when they are 17, actually in Scotland, one can get married and have kids and ride a moped when 16. 

Does this mean the parents are idiotic like Thai parents, jeez what a racist. 

what an idiotic reply, there is a big difference between allowing someone 14 or younger to drive a car/motorbike on the streets of towns/cities  and letting 17 y/o kids have a beer, then again thai kids are extremely child like till well into their 20's. I have 7 grandkids, I lost a 14 year old daughter when she was drugged, raped and thrown form a train in Australia so I am well aware of what can happen with kids, do you have kids or are you another one that knows buggerall about kids and just has a big mouth. I did a lot of crazy things growing up that could have cause major damage to myself but we did not drive/ride cars/motorbikes on city streets at 14 or younger(in the bush we did), then again we had parents that were educated and had good parenting skills unlike many thais, I can say that without any animosity/racism because it is true and can be seen every day. We rode bicycles miles to school as well as on weekends to do things, nothing stopping thai kids doing it except they dont like to do anything physical, they are allowed to ride to and from school on motorbikes & thats fine but look at how many ride outside these times and do so without any thought to it being illegal as well as doing so like idiots because their parents dont give a damn, shows just how pathetric some thai parenting can be, no respect or regard for anyone else although there are some that do the right thing by their kids but a lot dont, obviously you are one of them if you even have any kids

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thai people value freedom, which includes breaking the odd law, like not wearing a helmet, driving a car aged 16, etc. 

ETC. Going through red lights, cars going wrong way in one way traffic, motorbikes going wrong way against traffic, motorbikes on sidewalks and the beach promenade, speeding as in this reckless accident. Try reading the Pattaya news section about these jerks in pickup trucks in order to catch  on your ecceteras 

• Like 1