14-year-old driver dies in Si Racha motorbike crash, 13-year-old passenger injured

webfact

Awful. In the US he might have survived due to helmet laws and a good helmet. But, he would have been arrested and his bike impounded, due to driving without a license, much less any training! 

The degree of recklessness many of these kids demonstrate, either proves that they have no idea how dangerous driving is here, or that Darwin's theory was correct. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

unfortunately obtaining a licence does not give you instant road sense

I believe that's a statement that many of the Thais cannot understand, and I say that because even older Thai folk just have no road sense whatsoever and the amount of times I've had to brake or swerve to avoid an idiot on a motorbike who has come directly out onto a main road from a T-junction without slowing or looking, is almost immeasurable.

I don't think things will ever change here because of the Thai, "Mai bpen rai" attitude, combined with the lazy police work and corruption will still be evident in decades to come.

4 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

It was not an accident by any stretch of the imagination. It was predictable, preventable and the family, police and government are culpable.

It was an accident. That's a fact. Maybe Thai people have collectively decided that they don't want to live in the bureaucratic autocratic place that you are prescribing, where all potential accidents are legislated away.  People need to get around. 14 year olds want to live life and go places. Parents are busy. With this freedom of movement that a scooter offers comes some risk and responsibility. I don't doubt that some of these parents understand this.

If i was a parent in Thailand, I'd teach my kids how to ride and make sure they are competent before allowing them. And I'd restrict them to lower traffic areas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve187 said:
6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I agree however 15 year olds are allow motorcycle licences, have seen a lot of younger though riding here, carrying younger still passengers 

very few bikes they can legally ride

As I understand, it must be no more than 110cc

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I believe that's a statement that many of the Thais cannot understand, and I say that because even older Thai folk just have no road sense whatsoever and the amount of times I've had to brake or swerve to avoid an idiot on a motorbike who has come directly out onto a main road from a T-junction without slowing or looking, is almost immeasurable.

I don't think things will ever change here because of the Thai, "Mai bpen rai" attitude, combined with the lazy police work and corruption will still be evident in decades to come.

Go on Facebook and join the "Bad Driving in Thailand" group.

Crazy how they drive.

25 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

It was an accident. That's a fact. Maybe Thai people have collectively decided that they don't want to live in the bureaucratic autocratic place that you are prescribing, where all potential accidents are legislated away.  People need to get around. 14 year olds want to live life and go places. Parents are busy. With this freedom of movement that a scooter offers comes some risk and responsibility. I don't doubt that some of these parents understand this.

If i was a parent in Thailand, I'd teach my kids how to ride and make sure they are competent before allowing them. And I'd restrict them to lower traffic areas.

Sorry: freedom of movement?

When I was young, we had a bike. We had freedom and exercise at the same time.

Youth is just lazy nowadays.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Maybe Thai people have collectively decided that they don't want to live in the bureaucratic autocratic place that you are prescribing, where all potential accidents are legislated away. 

You are aware that Thailand has more laws than most other countries, and has a highly bureaucratic infrastructure? 

Just because there's no enforcement doesn't mean it is not bureaucratic or autocratic, in fact the reality is quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

14 year old children are not supposed to drive. Lock the parents up.

Many decades ago when I was about 10 years old, my neighborhood friends and I found an abandoned motorcycle, so we did what any normal kid in my area would do, we pushed it to the top of the nearest hill and took turns coasting down that hill for hours. Dangerous? Yes, and definitely something I would yell at my own son if he did the exact same thing, but for me it was fun.

Later on one of the bigger kids got a moped for Christmas and we rode the hell out of that thing morning to night. 

I guess no one here ever did anything dangerously when they were young.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

In our village I see children as young as seven or eight who can only just reach the floor on tiptoes riding to the shop to get a beer for Pappa. The saddest thing is that it is only one hundred yards down the road.

Alas and alack, I have to agree with you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Sorry: freedom of movement?

When I was young, we had a bike. We had freedom and exercise at the same time.

Youth is just lazy nowadays.

Every generation of 'youth' always has been classed as lazy. Generally by old gits like me and everyone my age.

Such a sad occurence, too young and tragic end of life. The parent/s may or may not be devastated. Riding bikes from age 10 in Thailand is the norm though not normally on busy roads but just in the village. The only way to stop this would be proper and fair enforcement of the laws but we all know that will never happen.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

She reportedly had not been wearing a helmet and did not have a license.

Stupid  parents (neglect)ts and stupid  kids  abound here, racing  up and down my road  in the country,  just waiting for them to  fall  off so I can pml,the sympathy ran  out years  ago, the devastation lasts  a lifetime

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, mancub said:

Exactly, as these children grow up to drive pick-ups in the same manner.

they drive the same way at 40 as  at 10, wrong side of road  cut  corners  right  off, wrong side at junctions, they learn the  worst way  possible  the second they set foot  on a  bike

When I moved here first 2010 I was shocked by the goings on regarding road safety coming  from 25 years in the Big bus industry, everything about it is wrong, from licensing testing insurance road furniture the whole thing is a mess, road repairs are not much more than earth in the hole trodden down, traffic lights you can’t see because of  cables or overgrown tree’s, driving against the traffic at night with main beam on etc etc etc, but i love it here.