Any swimmable beaches in Pattaya?

Rex Nebula

On 10/26/2021 at 5:49 AM, jacko45k said:

The main beach in Pattaya is not regarded as very clean, although it is somewhat better these days as there aren't thousands of tourists using the hotel toilets..... You can head out to the islands, Koh Larn, or to beaches South of Pattaya for better water quality. Even Jomtien is suspect these days. 

Wongamat beaches are pretty clean .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

So you are too lazy to do your own research.

Here is an excerpt to wet in your appetite excuse the pun.

I have know many friends become ill after swimming in the waters not every time but most of the time.

Some bacterial strains occuring in the seawater were quantified: coliforms, fecal coliform, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, Streptococcus and Staphylococcus. Most stations were heavily polluted by the bacteria especially Ang Sila, Bangsaen, Wonnapha Beach, Sri Racha and Pattaya. The highest number of the total coliforms detected was 2.4*10**(3) MPN/100 ml at Sri Racha in July and at Pattaya in September

Obviously I'm lucky because I survived swimming on a (nearly) daily base here in the sea since 1994.

I guess a walk in Londonderry is more dangerous. 

3 hours ago, LA8RAT said:

I watched a video of tutu beach yesterday.. That looked pretty nice. 

It's fairly near the outlet just north of the Ambassador.  Which is pretty close to raw sewage and listed as one of the most polluted rivers in Thailand.  I many who kite board near View Mare, all end up with infections at one point or another.  One ended up in the hospital with a full on rash after crashing just where it enters the sea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Did you do a water test? 

What kind of bacteria you find? 

And the member wants to swim and not mix it with his whisky :cheesy:

Sure the quality at Pattaya beach was not that inviting in the past.

Jomtien gradually better. I did a dip there in March and even years before.

At this time the quality seems to have improved significantly.

I will check next week.

Ko La(r)n always been OK.

• Like 1

FWIW, Pattaya Water Park has a lap pool in addition to it's water slide area, one price gets you in all swim areas and you can bring your own food & drinks (no glass). IIRC 100B per day.

e3.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bbko said:

FWIW, Pattaya Water Park has a lap pool in addition to it's water slide area, one price gets you in all swim areas and you can bring your own food & drinks (no glass). IIRC 100B per day.

e3.jpg

Be warned, once saw the biggest turd ever, floating in the kiddies pool there.

Made me want to puke bad.

Grabbed my kid out of there pronto and self medicated with a couple of Changs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well I beg to differ..... but I am thinking back many years when there wasn't much to Jomtien. I do recall often going that way for a day on the Beach from The Residence Garden.... Dongtan mostly. I also recall getting itchy skin from something in habitation in either the water or sand!

Whatever gets dumped in Pattaya Bay is spread around the area with the current.

Even Koh Larn, despite clear waters will have an unsafe bacterial count.

Right now I'd go for a dip.

It's great without the hordes of people not taking a duece in the water so to speak.

I love Pattaya and Jomptien.

I just wouldn't recommend it for a beach destination.

.....Again I've swam in it I'm still alive and well.  But I have had my hepatitis vaccinations.

(strongly recommended).

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:55 AM, bkk6060 said:

They are all OK now from personal experience, but the haters sitting in some foreign country in a box will tell you how bad it is and you might die.

Come and check it out.

No, they're not okay. Better than pre covid admittedly, but still not good and they will revert to their previous state once the tourists come back, if they ever do.  

If you are really serious about finding a clean beach and clean sea; anywhere just east of Rayong you can get lovely beaches, reminiscent of the south Islands, albeit that it is a bit of a trek unless you have a car. 

4 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Obviously I'm lucky because I survived swimming on a (nearly) daily base here in the sea since 1994.

I guess a walk in Londonderry is more dangerous. 

Well I'm glad you survived your swims. You have a better constitution and my friends. Having said that, your knowledge of geography is terrible.

The place is called Derry and I come from the other end of the country so your cheap swipe was way off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Be warned, once saw the biggest turd ever, floating in the kiddies pool there.

Made me want to puke bad.

Grabbed my kid out of there pronto and self medicated with a couple of Changs.

I saw that on telly ???? I laughed so hard I almost sh@t myself.

Edited by ThaIrish Sean

3 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Recommend you check out the beach’s south of the Ambassador Hotel. 
Drive around the small Sois off Sukhumvit and you’ll find something nice. 

I once went somewhere out that way fishing off the beach.... someone broke into my truck!

If you don't want to visit the islands, the Navy beach (Saikaew) is your best bet. The water is cleaner, a sandy white beach and you pay 100 baht entry fee for the whole day . 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 5:14 PM, balo said:

you pay 100 baht entry fee for the whole day . 

Some days they will not let you (dirty foreigners) in at all,  sometimes they will if you leave a Thai ID card at the checkpoint,sometimes they require that you leave your vehicle at the entrance and use their transportation to the beach (not free)

I have given up even trying :sorry:  ????

• Sad 1

On 10/27/2021 at 12:11 PM, jacko45k said:

Well I beg to differ..... but I am thinking back many years when there wasn't much to Jomtien. I do recall often going that way for a day on the Beach from The Residence Garden.... Dongtan mostly. I also recall getting itchy skin from something in habitation in either the water or sand!

Could have been sand fleas. When I stayed on the gulf coast ( miles and miles of deserted beach all to myself ) they were quite bad.