Any swimmable beaches in Pattaya?

Rex Nebula

Heading to Thailand for a few months, meeting up in Pattaya for two weeks first before heading around the country.  Not my first time in Thailand, but my first time in Pattaya!  I like to swim, but I've heard bad things about the water quality of Pattaya beaches.  Are any of the beaches in Pattaya good for swimming?  Just to tide me over before I can get to Phuket or one of the smaller islands.

Edited by Rex Nebula

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are all OK now from personal experience, but the haters sitting in some foreign country in a box will tell you how bad it is and you might die.

Come and check it out.

For years pre covid I would take the kids to play at the beaches around Jomtien/Bang Saray (not Pattaya Beach Road) and I'd get in the water with them and swim around, never had any infections or mutations 555.  I'd be more concerned about the jet skis and small boats hitting you, best to stay in the roped off areas.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you partial to skin diseases? If so go ahead.

I've seen what comes out of that sewage plant near Walking Street, and it's not nice.

Due in part to recent monsoon like rains, the water is very dirty.  All the run off from the rains and sewage from many areas above sea level discharges into the sea.   May be cleared somewhat by the time you arrive but now it is mostly brown for a long distance from shore.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They are all OK now from personal experience, but the haters sitting in some foreign country in a box will tell you how bad it is and you might die.

Come and check it out.

I’m a foreigner sitting in a little cottage (why would we live in a box?) and I’ll tell him how I nearly got decapitated (twice) by the same kid on a JetSki whilst coming up from a dive off Pattaya beach, directly under a dive flag and all.

(god knows why I ever thought to try a dive there - desperate I guess).

Of course, flopping about on the surface he’ll be more visible … or maybe more of a target ...

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The main beach in Pattaya is not regarded as very clean, although it is somewhat better these days as there aren't thousands of tourists using the hotel toilets..... You can head out to the islands, Koh Larn, or to beaches South of Pattaya for better water quality. Even Jomtien is suspect these days. 

I swam at Pattaya beach on Sunday, down by holiday inn. The water was very nice and clear. 

I've swam there in the past and never got sick, but I do agree.. There are nicer places. 

I usually swim daily at Dongtan beach.. By the water park. 

It's very nice there.. 

• Like 2

Pattaya Beach water quality has improved dramatically in comparison with what it used to be like when I first came to Pattaya, 25 years ago.

Back then, with a 4ft sewage outcrop belching filth from the bowels of hell into the sea at the end of the old Navy pier (near the entrance of Walking street)... we were less worried about pollution and more worried about the sea catching fire ???? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The main beach in Pattaya is not regarded as very clean, although it is somewhat better these days as there aren't thousands of tourists using the hotel toilets..... You can head out to the islands, Koh Larn, or to beaches South of Pattaya for better water quality. Even Jomtien is suspect these days. 

Jomtien has never been much cleaner than Pattaya.

It's definitely much better without all the people.

There's not enough treatment plants and the two main ones are usually breaking down or working at limited capacity.

The water quality was dangerous 20 years ago.

But the beaches at the moment look really inviting.  But your better swimming in the hotel pool than risking dysentery or some wierd skin rash.

Another vote from the military beach from me.

It's maybe 15-25 mins drive south of Jomtien, near Bang Saray.

Clean water and less harassment by people trying to sell food or foot massages or other <deleted>.

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches is full of bacteria

Did you do a water test? 

What kind of bacteria you find? 

What amount per liter? 

It is dangerous? 

Or do you just tell us fairy tales? 

IMG_20210914_094039.jpg

IMG_20211025_093301.jpg

IMG_20210823_092955.jpg

Edited by CH1961
add some pictures

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Jomtien has never been much cleaner than Pattaya.

Well I beg to differ..... but I am thinking back many years when there wasn't much to Jomtien. I do recall often going that way for a day on the Beach from The Residence Garden.... Dongtan mostly. I also recall getting itchy skin from something in habitation in either the water or sand!

1 hour ago, CH1961 said:

Did you do a water test? 

What kind of bacteria you find? 

What amount per liter? 

It is dangerous? 

Or do you just tell us fairy tales? 

IMG_20210914_094039.jpg

IMG_20211025_093301.jpg

IMG_20210823_092955.jpg

So you are too lazy to do your own research.

Here is an excerpt to wet in your appetite excuse the pun.

I have know many friends become ill after swimming in the waters not every time but most of the time.

Some bacterial strains occuring in the seawater were quantified: coliforms, fecal coliform, Vibrio parahaemolyticus, Streptococcus and Staphylococcus. Most stations were heavily polluted by the bacteria especially Ang Sila, Bangsaen, Wonnapha Beach, Sri Racha and Pattaya. The highest number of the total coliforms detected was 2.4*10**(3) MPN/100 ml at Sri Racha in July and at Pattaya in September

Edited by ThaIrish Sean

5 minutes ago, LA8RAT said:

I watched a video of tutu beach yesterday.. That looked pretty nice. 

So many beautiful beaches in Thailand and yet people feel the need to extol the virtues of Pattaya beach.

There's actually nothing wrong with the beach (when it isn't washed away by the rain), just the water quality ????