Gifts For Babies That Are Not Clothes

meme

I want to buy presents for a 2 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. They are my bfs niece and nephew. Are clothes my only option? I feel like if I ever by gifts for his 12 nieces and nephews! :D they are always clothes. Just wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas for infants.

I will be buying the gifts in Korea.

The boy's parents are English teachers and he is their first child and seeing as they are in their late 30s and early 40s he is going to be the only one, so he is kind of the little king. Is he too young to get him some kind of educational toy?? or whatever that means..really I have no idea :o

The girl is the only girl after two boys, and boy oh boy were they wanting a girl! So I am thinking the more girly the better..which makes me think perhaps clothes are the best option...but maybe you guys have a better idea.

I want to buy presents for a 2 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. They are my bfs niece and nephew. Are clothes my only option? I feel like if I ever by gifts for his 12 nieces and nephews! :o they are always clothes. Just wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas for infants.

No really a need to buy anything in Korea.

In BKK, at the Emporium and Siam Paragon they have whole floor dedicated to baby/kids gear, good quality brands (prices same as in Japan).

The children you are talking about are both too small. The only "educational toy" I can think of are "mobiles" - that thing that is like a swing construction and hangs over baby's head to touch, press, hear the sounds and dangle the hanging toys.

Dismantled, it's not too bulky to pack it - one is like 3 packs of tissue boxes, in length, and about 50% of their hight. Probably like 70x8x8cm.

For more ideas, see this site, they must be big in Korea too, the instructions for our stroller and capsule came in Korean (bought in BKK).

http://www.combi-intl.com/

Sorry, their international site is pretty basic, the Japanese one has more, if you can navigate through it. Even random clicking may reveal some interesting things:

http://www.combi.co.jp

Another thing is a baby bag, good ones are 70-80US$.

If you have time, better take the parents to one of those shops to choose themselves or buy for them shop vouchers. To some people that are not family I gave 5000B voucher and they bought what they thought is needed. To the same people now, that their kid is 2 years old, I can find many things elsewhere, but for small babies it's limited.

Edited by think_too_mut

I want to buy presents for a 2 month old girl and a 4 month old boy. They are my bfs niece and nephew. Are clothes my only option? I feel like if I ever by gifts for his 12 nieces and nephews! :o they are always clothes. Just wondering if anyone had any alternative ideas for infants.

No really a need to buy anything in Korea.

In BKK, at the Emporium and Siam Paragon they have whole floor dedicated to baby/kids gear, good quality brands (prices same as in Japan).

The children you are talking about are both too small. The only "educational toy" I can think of are "mobiles" - that thing that is like a swing construction and hangs over baby's head to touch, press, hear the sounds and dangle the hanging toys.

Dismantled, it's not too bulky to pack it - one is like 3 packs of tissue boxes, in length, and about 50% of their hight. Probably like 70x8x8cm.

For more ideas, see this site, they must be big in Korea too, the instructions for our stroller and capsule came in Korean (bought in BKK).

http://www.combi-intl.com/

Sorry, their international site is pretty basic, the Japanese one has more, if you can navigate through it. Even random clicking may reveal some interesting things:

http://www.combi.co.jp

Another thing is a baby bag, good ones are 70-80US$.

If you have time, better take the parents to one of those shops to choose themselves or buy for them shop vouchers. To some people that are not family I gave 5000B voucher and they bought what they thought is needed. To the same people now, that their kid is 2 years old, I can find many things elsewhere, but for small babies it's limited.

Thanks a lot I will check out those sites. I like the baby bag idea. I will not be in BKK we live in the South so will be flying into BKK and flying out the same day. Have not seen the babies yet as have been in Korea for the past 10 months so I want to have something when I arrive.

...alternative ideas for infants

Personally, I would buy gold, eg a gold bracelet, and I would buy it in Thailand.

--------------

Maestro

Is it a kind of an educational toy?

But you have it right. For such a small kid that's what Thais do.

It's true - my son's Thai grandma bought him a 6,000 baht+ gold chain which is almost a whole month's salary for her. For me, it's hard to understand as I keep it locked in a drawer as he is far to young to wear it (safety reasons) and I wouldn't want it getting lost (or stolen) if left lying around.

I agree with a mobile, especially for the 2 month old who will get more use out of it. I had a fancy mobile that ran on batteries and and three different tunes each lasting 10 minutes - was great as it gave me time to do things like have a shower, etc without having to worry about him. The four month old would be ready for a baby gym if he doesn't already have one - get a fancy one with lots of things that dangle, preferably one with chain-hooks that allow the toys hanging from it to be interchanged and hang at different heights (e.g. for when lying on the floor or if in a bouncer seat).

I agree witht he mobile & baby gym idea, a few friends bought the baby genius cards & posters for their babies, you place them at floor level & they are geometric shapes & colours which apparently stimulate the babies brains & teaches them eye focus, so when they are lying on the floor on in their bouncer the posters are at their eye level.

Gold for a baby for me is a bit of a pointless thing but it does seem to be a popular thai present. What does your bf suggest?

I agree witht he mobile & baby gym idea, a few friends bought the baby genius cards & posters for their babies, you place them at floor level & they are geometric shapes & colours which apparently stimulate the babies brains & teaches them eye focus, so when they are lying on the floor on in their bouncer the posters are at their eye level.

Gold for a baby for me is a bit of a pointless thing but it does seem to be a popular thai present. What does your bf suggest?

He is really no help when it comes to the idea of the gift. He can tell me if someone would like something or not, but as for the actual idea he's not much help...His family does not really exchange gifts, not even for birthdays really. Gold would be way over the top for them. We usually get new borns these baby kits that they sell at the mall in his town, but seeing as I am coming back from Korea thought I would get something a little different. I like the mobile/gym and bag ideas will check them out here. Thanks :o