Thais read more than you think!

webfact

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Me too. And I read every night in bed before I sleep. ????

My reading time is my siesta time , most afternoons around 3 pm there is nothing to do.  Any gardening can wait ;till around 5 as starting to cool down a bit. Yesterday second half of lawn got mowed .

Today was 90 day report followed by a Makro shop.  Lunch on the way home , a coffee in town , back home , wife stows the shopping and I need a lie down. About 6 pages of Clive Cussler then nodded off.

IMGP0056.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

My reading time is my siesta time , most afternoons around 3 pm there is nothing to do.  Any gardening can wait ;till around 5 as starting to cool down a bit. Yesterday second half of lawn got mowed .

Today was 90 day report followed by a Makro shop.  Lunch on the way home , a coffee in town , back home , wife stows the shopping and I need a lie down. About 6 pages of Clive Cussler then nodded off.

IMGP0056.JPG

You're doing well to last 6 pages of him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Ever noticed how extremely rare (if not even non-existent) a well equipped bookstore is or a shop where you can buy classical music ? To be fair, not that I would propose that you could find a very well equipped Morlam CD shop overseas.

There is a place in Thaton where we ride to that has a case with books in.  I borrowed one as any English book could be worth a read , it is called ' The Queen and I ' . Next time I am there I will donate a couple of books , I do have a couple I just cannot get into.   Pity we can't send books as easy as reading this rubbish !

14 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

There is a place in Thaton where we ride to that has a case with books in.  I borrowed one as any English book could be worth a read , it is called ' The Queen and I ' . Next time I am there I will donate a couple of books , I do have a couple I just cannot get into.   Pity we can't send books as easy as reading this rubbish !

Too kind of you you are even thinking of sharing what you find valuable. I have such an amount of readings on all kind of media that I could not finish reading (including understanding that is, its mostly Mahayana Buddhist Teachings) in the rest of time I will have on this planet. So I would have as well tons of the most interesting topics to share. But all I can sensibly do is think of you and wish you well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Have you read more or less during the pandemic? More and more people have been getting back into reading as a way to unwind and relax during these tough times.

My missus reads FB every second of every day... plus all the other apps, 

I applaud them as I get a peaceful life.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My missus reads FB every second of every day... plus all the other apps, 

I applaud them as I get a peaceful life.

Yep, although if it wasn't for the phone it would probably be comic books. Perhaps the phone has actually helped.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, moogradod said:

Ever noticed how extremely rare (if not even non-existent) a well equipped bookstore is or a shop where you can buy classical music ? To be fair, not that I would propose that you could find a very well equipped Morlam CD shop overseas.

There are several branches of the well-stocked Kinokuniya in upmarket shopping malls in Bangkok, plus Dasa Book Cafe on Sukhumvit.

Granted they'd be harder to find outside the capital.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roquefort said:

There are several branches of the well-stocked Kinokuniya in upmarket shopping malls in Bangkok, plus Dasa Book Cafe on Sukhumvit.

Granted they'd be harder to find outside the capital.

Thanks. I know Kinokuniya, but have never seen one here. CD shops seem to have completely disappeared. There used to be a quite good one in Emporium (BKK) ages ago and I would love to see a Bluray shop. Most of the trade seems to have been moved to online shops. I realize that saying this only now shows that the future trends have somehow left me behind. Same for books as well. In Switzerland they still have some really impressive Bookshops (like Orell-Füssli in Zurich) which do sell online as well. Anyway what I read (exept for cookbooks perhaps) is anyway not on display for the occasional shopper since I do not read novels or bestsellers etc. Have a good read, watch, listening !

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:10 AM, sharecropper said:

Rubbish.

In one year I have seen precisely 4 Thais reading book. Aside from my missus, one was a homeless woman on Jomtien beach, and two were on the MRT - and even then one of them was reading a learning English picture-book. 

Thais are not big readers but doesn’t mean they’re not reading because they haven’t got a paper book. I’ve got loads but haven’t picked one up in months (or bought one in years) and never have one in public. 99% of my reading is on the phone.